UConn-Tennessee game resuming? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn-Tennessee game resuming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I say go for it.

Otherwise, cease boasting about how WE play anybody, anytime.

Tennessee is a worthy opponent and renewal of the rivalry would boost women's college basketball.

Memories are selective. For those who are still mad at Pat for ending the series, I think there should be some to thank her for starting it.

I'm like Diana. "I want to punch something orange. " Once again.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If Geno thinks a UConn-Tenn game is good for the team then I say go for it. I don't care who he schedules as long as the game gets the team where he thinks it should be in time for the postseason.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I say go for it.

Otherwise, cease boasting about how WE play anybody, anytime.

Tennessee is a worthy opponent and renewal of the rivalry would boost women's college basketball.

Memories are selective. For those who are still mad at Pat for ending the series, I think there should be some to thank her for starting it.

I'm like Diana. "I want to punch something orange. " Once again.

I'm not mad at Pat for ending the series, Kib: I'm mad at her for the lies, innuendo, and slander, with no apology. If you're a better fellow than that, fine - but, I'm not. I remember stuff like that, and don't forgive until forgiveness is asked for.

As far as "We play anybody, anytime", that's largely been true, up to now. We didn't end the series. Should Tennessee make an offer to resume, and UConn declines, then perhaps folks will have a gripe with that expression.

Believe me, I know this is not up to me, and there are larger issues at stake which you and others have mentioned. But, if I were in a position to make that decision, I'd demur.

Reaction Score
It is time to renew the series if for no other reason than players past. present, and future who aren't holding grudges deserve the opportunity to play in or feel a part of what I still consider the greatest rivalry in all of sports. It is special to the players in a different way from the fans. The adults broke it, and it would be nice if they put it back together for the kids.

And UConn won the dispute by a knockout. Geno may still have been able to claim to be an outsider back in 2007, but he is the establishment now including the past WBCA president and national team coach. Whether he likes it or not he is THE face of women's college basketball now. The war has already been won, and in my opinion WCBB could use a Marshall Plan and part of that is putting Tennessee back on the schedule if for no other reason than the good of the game as a whole.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I would like to see Pat come out and ask Geno to renew the series. Bury the hacket and bring out the olive branch. Do I want to see the series renewed NO. Am I willing to put the past aside..... I could try.

Reaction Score
It's a different era now, an for Pat to speak for the Tennessee team would be, well,confusing at least. For them, I mean, not for the rest of the world. So she's not likely to do that, even if she were inclined to. I think they should play the game because they are two teams that will be in the good-to-great range for years, and it's a matchup that's worth seeing.

Reaction Score
Schedule TN for a game? Sure, if Geno is willing and sees a benefit. But I would hope that he would insist on some kind of statement from TN explaining why they now would like to play against UConn and why they canceled the series. What's changed? Geno is still Geno.

Reaction Score
Again, I suspect I am in the minority on this as well, but I would hope that he does no such thing. Otherwise it stays like Northern Ireland, with each side blaming the other and citing 90 years of past slights as justification. UConn can afford to take the high road on this one. Move on, get some games scheduled and kick some butt.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I like Fiftyish's idea about Tennessee saying why they now want to play a cheating, lying, unethical organization like UConn. But that will never happen. How about offering nothing more than a two-to-one home-and-home, like Hartford. We'll play Tennessee three times, but two are in Connecticut. We'll help out the enemy who besmirched our good name, but we'll make a statement at the same time.

Reaction Score
In addtion to calling Geno a cheater, the Vols are now a second tier team. What's the point of playing them?

If the want to play the Huskies, I would schedule it not on day the but the day after Hell freezes over

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
"The adults broke it, and it would be nice if they put it back together for the kids."

1. One adult broke it, let that adult take the first step in putting it back together, and then maybe more UConn fans will be supportive.

2. As for "the kids" most of the kids who would be playing probably never saw any of the real rivalry games, so I don't see this as much of a factor.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Would you "meh" folks really prefer to see the likes of Colgate, Oakland, and Oregon on UConn's schedule rather than Tennessee?

Don't you care about the financial bounty that ESPN or ABC would bestow each year on the program for the game?

Don't you think that UConn's conference situation makes it imperative to schedule as many non-conference Top 25 games as possible until that issue is sorted out?

I actually think that the first year's game should be in Knoxville to maximize the hostility and the hype, and therefore the ratings and the purse.
Um, no. If Geno is feeling generous, give them a two for 1. XL, Gampel and then, maybe, Tennessee, but I'd pass on the game. If they eventually become relevant, maybe, but there are two many decent teams out there for us to waste a date on them.

arch

Reaction Score
Would you "meh" folks really prefer to see the likes of Colgate, Oakland, and Oregon on UConn's schedule rather than Tennessee?

Don't you care about the financial bounty that ESPN or ABC would bestow each year on the program for the game?

Don't you think that UConn's conference situation makes it imperative to schedule as many non-conference Top 25 games as possible until that issue is sorted out?

I actually think that the first year's game should be in Knoxville to maximize the hostility and the hype, and therefore the ratings and the purse.

1)False choice.
2)There is no winfall in playing Tennessee.
3)Yes, schedule the other 23.

The University of Tennessee has publically attacked the integrity of the University of Connecticut. The wounds are way too fresh to salt them with a renewal of the series. There are plenty of other good teams that would welcome a series with UConn.

Simply put we don't need them, they don't need us and women's basketball doesn't need the game.

Reaction Score
Ever since the Summitt went private, there seems to be a lot less animosity with the fans. A few LV fans also post here and are generally well received. The LV are slowly disappearing in the background. A couple more years and Tenn would be no different than Kentucky or Maryland, another ranked team in the WCBB universe. I think eventually, ND will replace UT as the most dislike team here, if not already.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
ND is going to the ACC. We'll see where UConn ends up and if the rivalry will continue.

Reaction Score
It is time to renew the series if for no other reason than players past. present, and future who aren't holding grudges deserve the opportunity to play in or feel a part of what I still consider the greatest rivalry in all of sports. It is special to the players in a different way from the fans. The adults broke it, and it would be nice if they put it back together for the kids.

And UConn won the dispute by a knockout. Geno may still have been able to claim to be an outsider back in 2007, but he is the establishment now including the past WBCA president and national team coach. Whether he likes it or not he is THE face of women's college basketball now. The war has already been won, and in my opinion WCBB could use a Marshall Plan and part of that is putting Tennessee back on the schedule if for no other reason than the good of the game as a whole.

I agree that we should focus on the benefit to WCBB. Imagine the hype the game would got not just from ESPN, but from the major news and sports media. The game was, and could be again, a game that would draw a large audience that normally doesn't watch women's basketball.

But, I would wait until it will be competitive- which based on the Tenn recruiting, it soon should be. They are already doing better than expectations. Which is too bad in a way because it means that their coach is probably secure in her job.

What if they had done a talent search for a new coach and came up with Shea? Apart from her obvious qualifications, her mother was a very close friend of Pat's. It was assumed by everyone that Shea would go to Tenn; but, she took a trip to UConn and decided it was the place for her.

It's not going to happen; but think of all the dynamics If Shea were the coach at Tenn.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well, this is one UConn fan who doesn't give a rat's patootie. I have moved so far away from caring about the old rivalry that I am looking forward to a UConn vs. Tenn matchup about as much as I look forward to UConn vs. Seton Hall.

I agree with Phil. "Meh" just says it all.

The "like" is for the well chosen use of the oft neglected but delicious word: "patootie". An occasional Tenn U C meeting would not hurt the game if the Tenn front office has abandoned the smear tactics that marred the relationship towrd the end.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I'm not mad at Pat for ending the series, Kib: I'm mad at her for the lies, innuendo, and slander, with no apology. If you're a better fellow than that, fine - but, I'm not. I remember stuff like that, and don't forgive until forgiveness is asked for.

I agree. Actions should have consequences.

IF an apology is issued, then if something works out, fine, if not, that's fine too.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Ever since the Summitt went private, there seems to be a lot less animosity with the fans. A few LV fans also post here and are generally well received. The LV are slowly disappearing in the background. A couple more years and Tenn would be no different than Kentucky or Maryland, another ranked team in the WCBB universe. I think eventually, ND will replace UT as the most dislike team here, if not already.

LV posters here have always been treated with much better courtesy than any Boneyarder who posted on the Summitt. And since the Summitt became a pay site, how is it that you know there is a lot less animosity?

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
I agree. Actions should have consequences.

IF an apology is issued, then if something works out, fine, if not, that's fine too.

The ONLY reason I would want UCONN to play Tenn again would be to administer some epic beatdowns. Scheduling a new series would be like admitting guilt of the Tennessee allegations. No way Tenn should benefit from a renewed series - and it WOULD be to their benefit !

Reaction Score
LV posters here have always been treated with much better courtesy than any Boneyarder who posted on the Summitt. And since the Summitt became a pay site, how is it that you know there is a lot less animosity?

What I meant is that Boneyarders don't go over there anymore, so they can't read the nasty stuff and for sure they don't want to pay to get insulted. So, they can't bring stuff back here to get the whole board upset.

Reaction Score
Lets see what happens with UCONN and the post Big East...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
What I meant is that Boneyarders don't go over there anymore, so they can't read the nasty stuff and for sure they don't want to pay to get insulted. So, they can't bring stuff back here to get the whole board upset.

I think you are 100% correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits