Men - UConn Summer Baseball 2022 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Summer Baseball 2022

Reaction Score
Norwich Sea Unicorn update.

Kolby Pascarelli is no longer on the roster. He pitched in 3 or 4 games, and got roughed up each time.

Ryan Hyde now has 5 walks in 3 games played. Shows a good eye so far.

Drew Kron continues to impress with his defense in center field. He is doing okay on offense, but he does strike out too much for my taste, in over a third of his at at bats. He has only about 34 at bats, so hoping he will improve as he gets more playing time.

Jackson Ferrigno doesn't have any homers, but he does have 6 doubles and 3 triples in about 80 at bats, so he is getting his fair share of extra base hits so far.

Reaction Score
NECBL Update-
4BF6C4F8-A554-44EA-B341-B2DAB23E286E.jpeg

Reaction Score

Starter alert?

Afthim pitched the last 5 innings of this game. He has gotten off to quite a good run in Sanford this summer, that's for sure.

If I remember correctly, Chris Jones said during game broadcasts this season that the UConn coaching staff figured that in the coming seasons Afthim could end up possibly being either a weekend starter or the closer out the bullpen.

Reaction Score
Hector Alejandro got the start today for the Mystic Schooners, and pitched 4 strong innings. Gave up 2 hits, no walks, and had 4 strikeouts while allowing no runs.

Reaction Score
Ben Huber is now on the roster of the Bristol Blues of the NECBL.
Bummer, I thought his dad mentioned that he was supposed to be headed to Wareham when I talked to him during the regional.

Reaction Score
Bummer, I thought his dad mentioned that he was supposed to be headed to Wareham when I talked to him during the regional.

From what I understand, when a team makes a deep run into the NCAA tournament like UConn did this season, it can mess up summer ball assignments, especially with the the Cape League. Ben Huber is not the only guy who was initially reported as going to the Cape who is now in a different summer league or team.

I'm taking the fact that Ben Huber is playing summer ball as a sign that it is more likely that he will be back in Storrs in the fall. It seems that players who are likely to be taken in the MLB draft often don't take part in summer ball. Anyway, we'll see what happens with Huber.

Reaction Score
From what I understand, when a team makes a deep run into the NCAA tournament like UConn did this season, it can mess up summer ball assignments, especially with the the Cape League. Ben Huber is not the only guy who was initially reported as going to the Cape who is now in a different summer league or team.

I'm taking the fact that Ben Huber is playing summer ball as a sign that it is more likely that he will be back in Storrs in the fall. It seems that players who are likely to be taken in the MLB draft often don't take part in summer ball. Anyway, we'll see what happens with Huber.
Got it. Let’s hope he gets drafted, and if he doesn’t, great for the Huskies. (His defensive prowess at 1B might have been just as big as his bat this year.)

Reaction Score
Got it. Let’s hope he gets drafted, and if he doesn’t, great for the Huskies. (His defensive prowess at 1B might have been just as big as his bat this year.)

I've said this before on these threads, just want to mention that I never "root" for a UConn player with left over eligibility not to be taken in the MLB draft, or for that matter, a recruit that has committed to UConn who makes the decision to go pro instead of going to Storrs. That is something I refuse to moan and groan about. At this level, players leaving to go pro early or never arriving to college at all is really part of the game, and it is something that is to be expected. In reality is a big positive for the program, as it is a sign that recruiting efforts have definitely gone in the right direction.

Reaction Score
I've said this before on these threads, just want to mention that I never "root" for a UConn player with left over eligibility not to be taken in the MLB draft, or for that matter, a recruit that has committed to UConn who makes the decision to go pro instead of going to Storrs. That is something I refuse to moan and groan about. At this level, players leaving to go pro early or never arriving to college at all is really part of the game, and it is something that is to be expected. In reality is a big positive for the program, as it is a sign that recruiting efforts have definitely gone in the right direction.
Absolutely and well said. The dramatic decrease in MiLB teams and draft rounds may lead to more of these type of guys staying. Either way, we are happy for the guys.

Reaction Score
The dramatic decrease in MiLB teams and draft rounds may lead to more of these type of guys staying.

No question more players will have to stay in college rather than go pro. With MLB destroying the minor leagues, most notably short season leagues such as the New York-Penn League, there are a lot less spots for college players to land in if they do get signed to go pro. The moving back of the the MLB draft from early June to late July goes hand in hand with this effort, as most college players before would end up playing in short season leagues if they signed a pro contract. Now these leagues no longer exists, so there is no reason to hold the draft in early June, as the early draft used to feed those short season leagues. Now it would seem if a player turns pro, for the most part they aren't going to play pro ball until the following spring. It's obvious MLB wants to keep players in college ball longer as it goes hand in hand with the destruction that they have done to minor league ball. MLB is using the college baseball system more to develop players as they shrink the minor leagues.

Reaction Score
UConn has another transfer coming in, Michael Quigley, RHP from UMass Lowell. He is entering his Junior year. He identifies with UConn baseball on his twitter account. He is the brother of Stephen Quigley, another incoming transfer to UConn baseball from Wheaton College.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Drew Kron continues to impress with his defense in center field. He is doing okay on offense, but he does strike out too much for my taste, in over a third of his at at bats. He has only about 34 at bats, so hoping he will improve as he gets more playing time.
Kron is an exceptional athlete. He is a great defensive outfielder with a below average arm. His strength is as a base runner. He gets great jumps/reads on the bases and will be an asset as a pinch runner. He will struggle to hit at the D1 college level. He is a shift and swing hitter, that’s susceptible to swing and miss against high level pitching.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Kron is an exceptional athlete. He is a great defensive outfielder with a below average arm. His strength is as a base runner. He gets great jumps/reads on the bases and will be an asset as a pinch runner. He will struggle to hit at the D1 college level. He is a shift and swing hitter, that’s susceptible to swing and miss against high level pitching.
How does he compare to say, Korey Morton?

Reaction Score
How does he compare to say, Korey Morton?
Seems like similar in the sense that we can only hope Hourigan works his magic. Also sounds like he is a more natural defender. Morton is super fast obviously but doesn’t always get the best reads, whereas Kron is a natural born outfielder with instincts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom