UConn, still awaiting word on Tyler Polley, mapping out potential transfers, recruits for next year | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn, still awaiting word on Tyler Polley, mapping out potential transfers, recruits for next year

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Gee, what’s not to look at with 6’9” kid who can shoot from deep . That’s not the current nba game or anything.
He's a one-trick pony. And that's 1/4 of the games

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's a one-trick pony. And that's 1/4 of the games

Yeah. I don’t care about the shooting when he’s a sieve on D, doesn’t rebound, can’t handle the ball or make passes. Any random D1 guard offers more than that.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
is this about polley? This seems pretty over the top.
Nope. Polley wanna leave, please? Besides occasional treys what does he offer?

Answer...not much.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
is this about polley? This seems pretty over the top.

Yes. I’d rather have Adams back. Much better on D, better ball handler, better passer, better rebounder, not that much worse as a shooter. I think we hurt the team playing Polley as much as we did in desperation for 3 point shooting. It’s not like he was quick enough to get himself open anyway.

Reaction Score
Yes. I’d rather have Adams back. Much better on D, better ball handler, better passer, better rebounder, not that much worse as a shooter. I think we hurt the team playing Polley as much as we did in desperation for 3 point shooting. It’s not like he was quick enough to get himself open anyway.
Adams shot less than 30% from 3 al 3 years here & less than 30% from the field....you win hot take of the week

Reaction Score
IMO..DH/staff have been both quiet and busy re: how/what to do with remaining open spots for 2021.

Would be surprising if local press will break any new good news ahead of DH's national guys. But always a possibility.

Silence (DH) + tea leaves = positive results

Not buying this swing and miss stuff. He'll close on his real targets as he always does.

Reaction Score
Sorry, no comment at this time. This is an opportunity to surprise the big boys.
This is GREAT news.

Now here is a Casual Fan's attempt to parse Chief's sly 'no comment' reply to a request for information on 2022 recruits that could reclassify to 2021. Seeking the comment where there is claimed to be 'no comment'. Finding Waldo using advanced word 'smythe' techniques, factoring in rumors, and adding a dose of speculation,.

1. All transfers, any remaining 2021 kids, Jucos, or foreign kids would not be responsive to the question so are eliminated.
2. The comment should have nothing to do with Corey Floyd who is already committed and wouldn't surprise any 'big boys'. Only uncommitted 2022 players becoming part of the 2021 class would be responsive.
3. Surprising the 'big boys' should mean surprising teams that are considered big time landing spots, like Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, (Michigan?). Which subtly means the recruit has to be highly ranked and sought after by these types of teams. Or, it could mean surprising our own 'big boys' by adding another 'bigger boy' to the mix. It could mean either interpretation, or it could mean both and be a double clever clue, (and particularly advanced).
4. The published universe of candidates that I have ever noted anything associating UConn with, includes Jarace Walker, Zion Cruz, Justice Williams, Dereck Lively, Donovan Clingan, and maybe Kyle Filipowski. Only Clingan and Williams have had any real 'buzz' on the boneyard.
5. If the surprise was a top recruit we haven't been associated with, 'big' should have been placed as 'big' surprise. 'Big' wasn't used in that context so that probability is lessened.
6. I don't sense that Justice Williams would be a 'big' enough surprise to surprise the 'big boys' and use that wording.
7. That leaves 1 player that I will have 'no comment' about. Thanks Chief

Reaction Score
IMO..DH/staff have been both quiet and busy re: how/what to do with remaining open spots for 2021.

Would be surprising if local press will break any new good news ahead of DH's national guys. But always a possibility.

Silence (DH) + tea leaves = positive results

Not buying this swing and miss stuff. He'll close on his real targets as he always does.
I Agree 100%. Danny keeps recruiting stiff close to the vest. We will know something when he wants us to know something. I still think he’s shooting for a reclass or a 2021 recruit that recommits from another school.

Reaction Score
Yeah. I don’t care about the shooting when he’s a sieve on D, doesn’t rebound, can’t handle the ball or make passes. Any random D1 guard offers more than that.
Then, let's get one.

Reaction Score
He probably had to get rid of the 3rd person thing, any time you use the word Ch**f your comment is automatically moderated and needs approval to be posted
Just realized I don't see his posts anymore. I've never ignored anyone on here, they did it for me. Win, win.

Reaction Score
He probably had to get rid of the 3rd person thing, any time you use the word Ch**f your comment is automatically moderated and needs approval to be posted
Oh! maybe Tom can do that for "casual fan", too.

Reaction Score
Polley improved a lot on D and rebounding the last several games of the year.

Reaction Score
This is GREAT news.

Now here is a Casual Fan's attempt to parse Chief's sly 'no comment' reply to a request for information on 2022 recruits that could reclassify to 2021. Seeking the comment where there is claimed to be 'no comment'. Finding Waldo using advanced word 'smythe' techniques, factoring in rumors, and adding a dose of speculation,.

1. All transfers, any remaining 2021 kids, Jucos, or foreign kids would not be responsive to the question so are eliminated.
2. The comment should have nothing to do with Corey Floyd who is already committed and wouldn't surprise any 'big boys'. Only uncommitted 2022 players becoming part of the 2021 class would be responsive.
3. Surprising the 'big boys' should mean surprising teams that are considered big time landing spots, like Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, (Michigan?). Which subtly means the recruit has to be highly ranked and sought after by these types of teams. Or, it could mean surprising our own 'big boys' by adding another 'bigger boy' to the mix. It could mean either interpretation, or it could mean both and be a double clever clue, (and particularly advanced).
4. The published universe of candidates that I have ever noted anything associating UConn with, includes Jarace Walker, Zion Cruz, Justice Williams, Dereck Lively, Donovan Clingan, and maybe Kyle Filipowski. Only Clingan and Williams have had any real 'buzz' on the boneyard.
5. If the surprise was a top recruit we haven't been associated with, 'big' should have been placed as 'big' surprise. 'Big' wasn't used in that context so that probability is lessened.
6. I don't sense that Justice Williams would be a 'big' enough surprise to surprise the 'big boys' and use that wording.
This is the offseason BY content I am here for. Would really love #3 to be true.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This is GREAT news.

Pretty sure that one player cannot reclassify. He's a true HS Junior, not a post grad prep school kid. I have not previously heard that he had the credits to reclassify.

I am having a hard time finding lists of guys who are legit reclass candidates.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure that one player cannot reclassify. He's a true HS Junior, not a post grad prep school kid. I have not previously heard that he had the credits to reclassify.

I am having a hard time finding lists of guys who are legit reclass candidates.
Ergo - it would be a Big Surprise - Touche

Reaction Score
But you can only work on 2 things. It's apparently the limit.
Focus by definition isn’t infinite. While it isn’t totally exclusionary as you imply, when Chief says to focus on two things, it means in Whaley’s case (which you are apparently referencing), these are the critical competency areas for improvement in order to get Isiah to the next basketball level of ability/skill. Try being all things to all people - it isn’t a recipe for success. The good coaches identify areas for players to improve in during the short term. Telling a guy he needs to get better at everything doesn’t really accomplish anything.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Focus by definition isn’t infinite. It isn’t exclusionary but when Chief says to focus on two things, it means in Whaley’s case (which you are apparently referencing) these are the critical competency areas for improvement for Isiah to get to the next level. Try being all things to all people - it isn’t a recipe for success. The good coaches identify areas for players to improve in during the short term. Telling a guy he needs to get better at everything doesn’t really accomplish anything.
If you know enough to know you're being mocked without being referenced directly, you should know enough to know that we know all of the common sense that you typed out here.

We're mocking you for things like implying you're a good coach (or at least are trying to emulate one) in the same breath as suggesting that a big guy's FT% is more important than his ability to stretch the floor for his NBA prospects.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom