UConn, still awaiting word on Tyler Polley, mapping out potential transfers, recruits for next year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn, still awaiting word on Tyler Polley, mapping out potential transfers, recruits for next year

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
When you say pro prospects what do you mean? He has no chance at the NBA now or in the future. Europe will always be there and he'll make really good money. The decision for him is if he wants to hang out and play with his brothers while winning more as a Husky than he has throughout his college career or trying to get a contract in a European country during Covid. Covid will be in the rearview here soon enough but the vaccine rollout is a mess in most of Europe which makes things more difficult.

Playing another year with your best buddy Whaley and the rest of the team while maybe choosing to work on an advanced degree seems like it's probably pretty appealing.
Exactly, sj

rashad Anderson didn’t get drafted but helped the team immensely.

Reaction Score
Exactly, sj

rashad Anderson didn’t get drafted but helped the team immensely.
I have a feeling he's coming back, it makes a lot of sense for him and he would be a big help with his shooting. His injury isn't as bad as Akok's but it's still an injury that sometimes you don't fully regain your form until the following year as you point out. I don't think enough people give Polley the benefit of the doubt on that.

Through his first 11 games his junior season he was shooting 46% from three, he cooled off his last few games taking his percentage down and then the injury. He really looked like an excellent shooter his junior year. I would like to see that Polley again in a Husky uniform playing in front of packed crowds. I think guys like Whaley and Polley should get to experience that after everything they've been through and the things they do best on the court are only enhanced in front of those crowds.
I’d like to see one season not off ACL tear in a covid pause.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I have a feeling he's coming back, it makes a lot of sense for him and he would be a big help with his shooting. His injury isn't as bad as Akok's but it's still an injury that sometimes you don't fully regain your form until the following year as you point out. I don't think enough people give Polley the benefit of the doubt on that.

Through his first 11 games his junior season he was shooting 46% from three, he cooled off his last few games taking his percentage down and then the injury. He really looked like an excellent shooter his junior year. I would like to see that Polley again in a Husky uniform playing in front of packed crowds. I think guys like Whaley and Polley should get to experience that after everything they've been through and the things they do best on the court are only enhanced in front of those crowds.
He single handedly ( well with a helping of Vital) beat Florida at Gampel that year.

Reaction Score
If Polley does come back and we land Locke I would LOVE to see what a lineup like Cole, Locke, Hawkins, Polley, Whaley/Sanogo/Johnson looks like. 4 shooters with range and a rebounding/defensive big seems to be the formula that is working for these better teams.
Even if supposedly they were in a good spot with Locke, I don't see any world that exists where Locke & Polley are both Huskies next year. That lineup also couldn't guard a chair. Whaley is BE DPOY, but the man can only do so much.

Reaction Score
When you say pro prospects what do you mean? He has no chance at the NBA now or in the future. Europe will always be there and he'll make really good money. The decision for him is if he wants to hang out and play with his brothers while winning more as a Husky than he has throughout his college career or trying to get a contract in a European country during Covid. Covid will be in the rearview here soon enough but the vaccine rollout is a mess in most of Europe which makes things more difficult.

Playing another year with your best buddy Whaley and the rest of the team while maybe choosing to work on an advanced degree seems like it's probably pretty appealing.
Yes, I meant Europe as well. I am not as convinced he will make really good money and another mediocre season as a 5th year will certainly eat into his paycheck. Europe money is good at high levels. Most d1 players can play overseas, how much they earn is a different story. How much does sterling Gibbs make?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Tyler Phommachanh has as much chance to play in the NBA as AG does.
ZERO
I feel for him because of his injury but have a lot of respect in that he is a true Husky
If he wants to play competitive basketball for at least another year, returning to college ball is the only way - he would find the G league to be difficult and playing overseas won't be realistic for anyone until this Covid BS stops

Reaction Score
There’s zero downside to Tyler coming back. If he’s playing well, he’d be a big help to the team in an area of need. If he’s not playing well, DH has zero incentive to play him because he’s gone after next year regardless. That all being said, I’d like to bring in an additional shooter/scorer even if Tyler does come back. Need more guys who can consistently put the ball in the basket.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know that the old rule is not talking about potential transfers

But if it’s really going to be such a constant, fluid, and critical part of CBB going forward, and we are going to be posting articles like this (albeit there isn’t much actual speculation), are the rules going to change?
Yeah it has to change. I think talking about transfers should be allowed but threads suggesting or recommending that someone should transfer should not be, if that makes sense.

Reaction Score
Tyler is an overseas player if he loves the game enough to want to live in Europe. He’s light years from the NBA, but good enough to be paid to play somewhere on the planet.

Reaction Score
Put some respect on Ty Polley’s name.

#ReturnOfDaggerTreyTy
I do admit it was a slight dig...Still, pretty sound advice though hah. Actually something I remember a rec coach telling us during practice in 3rd/4th grade #TreyTy

Reaction Score
Tyler is an overseas player if he loves the game enough to want to live in Europe. He’s light years from the NBA, but good enough to be paid to play somewhere on the planet.
Gavin Edwards still gets paid. Pretty much anyone from UConn can find a league globally. The tops leagues probably pay 700k to 2+ mil(rare but happens). Some of the leagues pay g league money and even then the clubs are always late on payment. You are living in a small town in a country you don’t speak the language of, with people you don’t relate to. It gets lonely real quick and is far from glamorous. If Tyler plays poorly, he is slipping down a ladder that may or may not be worth it. Big difference than Whaley. Whaley has a floor and can only move up. Tyler can move up but he can also fall way down w poor play.

Reaction Score
With Locke committing to Ville and no other pure shooter transfers that are seriously considering UConn right now, I’m ok with bringing Polley back into the fold. He just needs to work on his shot consistency and shot selection... and you know going up for a rebound or notching an assist every now and then. I hope if he does return Hurley makes him really fight for minutes.

Reaction Score
Not a normal year for transfers. Think you push hard but from this article does not seem to be hurley goal.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have a list of potential 2022 reclass recruits that are a possibility?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Some of you guys overvalue the size of the paycheck playing European basketball. Outside of the top division you really don’t make much.

Polley isn’t good enough to play in Spain, Italy, Greece, or the Adriatic League’s top division. Financially, a masters degree will earn him more.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not a normal year for transfers. Think you push hard but from this article does not seem to be hurley goal.
If nothing else, it's a brilliant hedge by Hurley. We know for a fact that he's tried to land one or more transfers, but if says at the same time that he's not really into transfers he is covered in case he whiffs on all of them.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
My cynical translation of the article is Tyler hasn't been contacted by a school that he likes better than UConn so he will keep Hurley waiting until the last minute when he decides to return.

Reaction Score
If Polley does come back and we land Locke I would LOVE to see what a lineup like Cole, Locke, Hawkins, Polley, Whaley/Sanogo/Johnson looks like. 4 shooters with range and a rebounding/defensive big seems to be the formula that is working for these better teams.
You have been adamant that you have sources saying Polley is not coming back and now you’re talking about scenarios where he does come back?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom