UConn, still awaiting word on Tyler Polley, mapping out potential transfers, recruits for next year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn, still awaiting word on Tyler Polley, mapping out potential transfers, recruits for next year

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My cynical translation of the article is Tyler hasn't been contacted by a school that he likes better than UConn so he will keep Hurley waiting until the last minute when he decides to return.
Or Hurley hasn’t been able to land a replacement so he’s keeping the door open for Polley but Polley doesn’t want to return if he’s going to be redundant.

Reaction Score
Some of you guys overvalue the size of the paycheck playing European basketball. Outside of the top division you really don’t make much.

Polley isn’t good enough to play in Spain, Italy, Greece, or the Adriatic League’s top division. Financially, a masters degree will earn him more.
Undoubtedly, getting a masters is in his best interest. It will pay back over his entire life. But, if he really wants to play the sport he loves, he’ll have to make some real sacrifices... foreign environment, lower pay, etc.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Or Hurley hasn’t been able to land a replacement so he’s keeping the door open for Polley but Polley doesn’t want to return if he’s going to be redundant.
Polly doesn't bring enough to the table. He does shoot for a high percentage but he scores in clusters, some games a ton more games not enough. He defends well and occasionally rebounds. One more year of Polly will not provide growth in the team.

Reaction Score
If nothing else, it's a brilliant hedge by Hurley. We know for a fact that he's tried to land one or more transfers, but if says at the same time that he's not really into transfers he is covered in case he whiffs on all of them.
Thinking the same.. but who knows

Reaction Score
My cynical translation of the article is Tyler hasn't been contacted by a school that he likes better than UConn so he will keep Hurley waiting until the last minute when he decides to return.
I could be wrong, but I don't think that is how it works. You have to be in the portal before you are allowed to be contacted by other coaches. Is Tyler even in the portal?

Reaction Score
Article from Borges about many of the topics that we have been discussing here.

The next burgeoning question is if Tyler Polley, like Whaley, plans to return for a fifth and final season in Storrs. The 6-foot-9 forward is having a tough time making his decision, according to Adam Ross, who coached Polley for four years at The Sagemont School in Florida.

“Tyler is doing some real thinking on the topic,” Ross said in a text message, “is in regular contact with Coach (Dan) Hurley and will make a decision in the coming weeks.”

Alternate free access: UConn, still awaiting word on Tyler Polley, mapping out potential transfers, recruits for next year
Good informative article. Thanks for posting.

Reaction Score
My hopeful, but realistic outcomes.

1) Polley returns

2a) Kolek transfers in, takes a "redshirt" year (little promised PT, but still eligible and could play a bigger role if needed), OR
2b) a '22 reclass shooter, takes a "redshirt" year (little promised PT, but still eligible and could play a bigger role if needed.

21-22, just a depth chart, not married to these starting lineups

4: Whaley, Akok, Springs
3: Martin, Polley,
5: Sanogo, Johnson
2: Gaffney, Jackson/Hawkins, Kolek/'22 reclass
1: Cole, Diggins

22-23, just a depth chart, not married to these starting lineups.

4: Akok, Springs
3: Jackson, Floyd
2: Hawkins, Kolek/'22 shooter
1: Diggins, Gaffney

Reaction Score
I’ve heard Polley will be in college next year, but tbd if it’s at uconn or not.
Well if he wants to start then he'll have to drop down to a mid major level school. But if he stays he'll still be getting over 20MPG. The team needs shooters, and he can shoot.

Reaction Score
Polly doesn't bring enough to the table. He does shoot for a high percentage but he scores in clusters, some games a ton more games not enough. He defends well and occasionally rebounds. One more year of Polly will not provide growth in the team.
Well if he wants to start then he'll have to drop down to a mid major level school. But if he stays he'll still be getting over 20MPG. The team needs shooters, and he can shoot.
Let him go, he doesn't bring nothing to this team. Get a replacement for him !

Reaction Score

1) Polley returns

2a) Kolek transfers in, takes a "redshirt" year (little promised PT, but still eligible and could play a bigger role if needed), OR
2b) a '22 reclass shooter, takes a "redshirt" year (little promised PT, but still eligible and could play a bigger role if needed.

There's no way we're getting Kolek if our head coach hasn't even bothered to call him.

Reaction Score

1) Polley returns

With the recent Borges article hinting at it and seeing how things are playing out, feels like a ‘22 reclass into the ‘21 class is a very realistic option. Depending on Polleys situation, still think they grab a guy in the transfer market there too but I suspect they’re working hard to get a ‘22 reclass kid and nabbing him before the recruitment blows up.

I have no clue if they’re still recruiting him but from what I’ve seen, I still like Jaylen Blakes and would love to add him. Kid is explosive and has serious range. Seems more of a combo guard then true SG and he’s a bit undersized but when you watch him play, he’s an impressive player.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Taylor should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as Rashad
Agreed. Here's something to put this into perspective:
Rashad's performance in the NCAA tournament in his sophomore year. This is a performance of a conscienceless dagger thruster on the loose:

Sophomore[edit]​

In the 2004 season, Anderson finished as third leading scorer for NCAA champion Huskies with 11.2 ppg. He reached double figures in 19 total games on the season and was named to the NCAA Final Four All-Tournament Team after scoring 18 points vs. Georgia Tech in the Championship game and 14 points vs. Duke. In the NCAA Tournament he averaged 17.3 points and .488 from three-point range (21-of-43). His 21 threes set a UConn single-tournament record. Rashad scored 28 points in NCAA Elite Eight win over Alabama, matching the school-NCAA record of six three-pointers he set in First Round win over Vermont.

Reaction Score
Let him go, he doesn't bring nothing to this team. Get a replacement for him !

Easy to say if you know you're getting a couple of shooters or Hawkins is ready from Day 1. If not then you're looking for big trouble without shooters on the team. You also have to figure he'll be a lot more healthy and more ready next year than last as well as working on things over the summer which will make him better for us in the coming year. He was pretty much only able to work on rehabbing his knee in order to play last summer, not really his game. Is he limited overall, yep he is. But do we have anyone on the team who can shoot it as well as him, no we don't. And DH isn't exactly ripping up the transfer portal.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Here's something to put this into perspective:
Rashad's performance in the NCAA tournament in his sophomore year. This is a performance of a conscienceless dagger thruster on the loose:

Sophomore[edit]​

In the 2004 season, Anderson finished as third leading scorer for NCAA champion Huskies with 11.2 ppg. He reached double figures in 19 total games on the season and was named to the NCAA Final Four All-Tournament Team after scoring 18 points vs. Georgia Tech in the Championship game and 14 points vs. Duke. In the NCAA Tournament he averaged 17.3 points and .488 from three-point range (21-of-43). His 21 threes set a UConn single-tournament record. Rashad scored 28 points in NCAA Elite Eight win over Alabama, matching the school-NCAA record of six three-pointers he set in First Round win over Vermont.
Rashad also hit every big shot that he needed to hit. Including his daggers over Washington in 2006. In my eyes, he's on UConn's Mt. Rushmore of the most clutch players we've ever had.

Reaction Score
I just said Hurley isn’t a transfer guy and was called crazy

Is that really true? I know thats what he says but 40% of our starting lineup this year were transfers. Feels a bit disingenuous to me. We have three ships to fill. There is no problem at all filling a few of them with transfers, especially 5th years.

Reaction Score
Is that really true? I know thats what he says but 40% of our starting lineup this year were transfers. Feels a bit disingenuous to me. We have three ships to fill. There is no problem at all filling a few of them with transfers, especially 5th years.
It's taking his quote out of context by only using the first half of his sentence. If people provided the whole quote he said he doesn't expect to become Transfer U but they'd likely add 1-2 this offseason

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom