UConn stats... 10 reasons Baylor lost... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn stats... 10 reasons Baylor lost...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Coco Husky said:
"That is absolutely ridiculous! It was the Baylor medical staff made the decision that Didi was able to return to the game."Once the decision was made that she could return Kim asked that the taping of the hamstring be hurried because UCONN was in the middle of a 19-0 run. The same thing happened in the Arizona game last night with McDonald and earlier in the season when Paige was hurried along so she could return to the game against TN. There was no poor judgement and nothing wrong with any coach saying of a key players -get her ready ASAP if she is able to return-this game is on the line."

Well, I will sharply disagree with the last sentence and judgment. As an Athletic Director, I gave our athletic trainer, who had Olympic experience, sole and absolute authority to make judgements about player readiness after injuries. That means, no coach, no eager/ambitious parent, nor I, could attempt to influence our trainer. Further, I if an injury involved any possibility of long-term harm to a student athlete, the trainer was compelled to consult a doctor certified in the appropriate medical field before making a final decision about a return to competition. Under that system, Didi would never have returned to the floor, especially not because the "game is on the line." That last quoted justification is appalling.

Reaction Score
Goodness knows the NCAA has mishandled so much over the years and has made many head scratching decisions. I don't think their Covid protocols were one of them.

Reaction Score
Coco, you and I are not going to agree on this (What else is new?). But I’ll make two more points and then suggest we find something else to disagree about.

First off, whatever evaluation the Baylor “medical staff” made, it was obviously wrong. Richards came back on the court, hobbled up and back a few times and then Mulkey sat her for the rest of the game.

Secondly, in all the years I have been involved in sports, one of the worst signs of a serious injury is when a player is just running down the court or playing field and goes down without being hit or tripping over themselves. I still remember the end of All-Pro OT Tony Boselli’s career, when he was just running downfield looking for someone to hit, and he dropped like he had been shot, blowing out his knee.

The manner in which Richards sustained her injury should have been of serious concern to Baylor’s medical staff as well as the coaches. Given the circumstances, I firmly believe the decision to put her back in the game demonstrated poor judgment.
Kim herself said what you said. Namely she knew by the way Richards pulled up and grabbed her leg that it was a hamstring. So until proven wrong by the medical staff she should err on the side of caution and not play her.

Reaction Score
ok point made but not really apples to apples. For some odd reason, Kim likes to bring Carrington off the bench. We made Carrington look like an all star in the first half but, for the game she was only 7 for 22 and 1 for 7 from 3 and had 3 turnovers. I'll take that. Maybe Carrington got tired as well.

I don't want you to take this as heated criticism of GA, because I still think he is the greatest, but.....I do think he should have played AM for at least 8 minutes in this game to rest CW, EW and PB. They were all gassed at the end resulting in next to nothing offensively the last 5-6 minutes. They couldn't even run offense in the end. Couldn't set pics and PB didn't have the explosion to lose her man. Baylor is a physical and big, strong, experienced team. Smaller, younger and weaker players need rest and a fresh AM is better than an exhausted CW, EW or PB - again for a few minutes.

They were missing layups and poor PB was just wobbly legged at the end. She was running on fumes -maybe 60% of herself. She just couldn't separate from her defender or finish in the last 5 minutes or so. She kept hitting the front end of the rim.

I do realise there is a perceived risk in sitting your best players but subbing in a solid role player who isn't as good for an exhausted better player is a good thing. That is why you have a bench.

It is hard for me to believe that a great recruiting team like UCONN can only win with 6 players...

We still won, but the physical and mental exhaustion was evident. I noticed it on EW in Q2.
It's not apples to oranges. If that's what you want to believe - okay. Believe what you want. You're seeing things much differently than me. But my point was clear when I spoke of Carrington. I spoke of +/- stats.

I asked the question and I can ask again differently- how do you think Carrington's +/- stats were for the game vs the other starters on her team? She was probably 2nd best other than the pg., in terms of +/-, right? Bottom-line was that she was a productive player. If you are going to knock her offense then apparently UCONN wasn't as tired as you suggest?

And who was the player Baylor went to and who scored the most late for Baylor? So my question was clear -- after the game was over -do you think Kim was satisfied that one of her top players was probably fresher late than the UCONN guards? That's what I also posted. DO you think Kim took solace knowing that she had one of her top players on the bench those important 3.5 minutes, instead of playing her? We've seen Geno take out Doty from the starting lineup in a big game, right? And we saw Kim starting Carrington in 2nd half.

And while you are making it a point to tell me about how you feel by putting in AM and you don’t want me to take it as heated criticism; I want to say my reply is the same back at you and here it is--

You and I have had complete disagreement on how the game should be played. I look at your view of the game (not a specific player) as totally wrong, --- correct? So the point that you wanted to bring in AM - and Geno didn't do it-- and I favor playing the best players as long as they can handle it-- what do you think I think of that move that you wanted to do (in which you are implying criticism in some manner)?

Auriemma plays the style I want to see. And IMO the style that you want to see is completely reckless. Even after UCONN won the game you seem willing to want to go with a different style while recognizing it might fail although we know the current style Geno has employed over the years has been incredibly successful. IMO that's off-the-charts reckless of you. I can see criticizing an offensive set, not calling a timeout, what defense to use, who you'd start in some manner, – but a philosophy that he has employed over the years and yet recklessly thinking that a lesser player is the answer to me is just so wrong.

And imo just as you have way over-exaggerated of CW's past deficiencies this season just as imo - you are way over-exaggerating the last 5 minutes too. One thing being tired but overall the team was nowhere near what you are exaggerating. There has to be excuses now why Paige misses shots vs a terrific defensive team? It had nothing to with being fouled a bit also by an aggressive team in which the officials were letting rough play go on as well?

Reaction Score
Watching it for the 50th time, I keep seeing Carrington’s right leg kick out as she shoots- she’s really trying to get a call. She falls down also for exaggerated effect. Glad the refs didn’t buy it. Look at the play again & pay attention to her leg

Reaction Score
Coco, you and I are not going to agree on this (What else is new?). But I’ll make two more points and then suggest we find something else to disagree about.

First off, whatever evaluation the Baylor “medical staff” made, it was obviously wrong. Richards came back on the court, hobbled up and back a few times and then Mulkey sat her for the rest of the game.

Secondly, in all the years I have been involved in sports, one of the worst signs of a serious injury is when a player is just running down the court or playing field and goes down without being hit or tripping over themselves. I still remember the end of All-Pro OT Tony Boselli’s career, when he was just running downfield looking for someone to hit, and he dropped like he had been shot, blowing out his knee.

The manner in which Richards sustained her injury should have been of serious concern to Baylor’s medical staff as well as the coaches. Given the circumstances, I firmly believe the decision to put her back in the game demonstrated poor judgment.
I agree about the severity of Richards injury. In real-time and slow-mo the back of her thigh seems to ripple like Kevin Durant’s calf did when he tore his Achilles. Heartbreaking injury

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco Husky said:
"That is absolutely ridiculous! It was the Baylor medical staff made the decision that Didi was able to return to the game."Once the decision was made that she could return Kim asked that the taping of the hamstring be hurried because UCONN was in the middle of a 19-0 run. The same thing happened in the Arizona game last night with McDonald and earlier in the season when Paige was hurried along so she could return to the game against TN. There was no poor judgement and nothing wrong with any coach saying of a key players -get her ready ASAP if she is able to return-this game is on the line."

Well, I will sharply disagree with the last sentence and judgment. As an Athletic Director, I gave our athletic trainer, who had Olympic experience, sole and absolute authority to make judgements about player readiness after injuries. That means, no coach, no eager/ambitious parent, nor I, could attempt to influence our trainer. Further, I if an injury involved any possibility of long-term harm to a student athlete, the trainer was compelled to consult a doctor certified in the appropriate medical field before making a final decision about a return to competition. Under that system, Didi would never have returned to the floor, especially not because the "game is on the line." That last quoted justification is appalling.
Appreciate and respect your perspective as an AD however you have ignore a key phrases in my post specifically this one: "if she is able to return".
Your experience is also not different from my own and as I stated in another post all universities have policies and practices in place to ensure that the coach IS NOT a part of the decision making to determine a player's fitness to return to play after an injury. What is very erroneous about your post and @oldude post is that Didi Richards required a doctor's (Medical) clearance & or consultation (he actually suggested an MRI) to return to this game. That is absolutely false, impractical and absurd. The athletic trainer was in charge and empowered to make a decision if the player requires further medical attention, or if they can treated to return to competition. From where Kim was standing she could clearly see that Didi was being taped which is clearly a sign that they were going to try and return to the game. Kim signaled to the trainer to hurry up the taping/stretching process but she DID NOT make the decision that Didi was fit to return to the game as has been been slanderous stated here.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree about the severity of Richards injury. In real-time and slow-mo the back of her thigh seems to ripple like Kevin Durant’s calf did when he tore his Achilles. Heartbreaking injury
Very heartbreaking indeed. As to the severity of the injury we an all form our own opinions but the only opinion (judgement) which counted was that of the Athletic trainer who determined that she could return to the game. That judgement turned out to be wrong so we can second guess all we want.

Reaction Score
Ditto. When Aubrey entered the game, for a time Smith dominated her particularly on pick and rolls and rebounding/offensive put backs. Later in the game, Aubrey became Aubrey, the two charges she took in critical situations were clutch. Particularly in 4th Q, Smith did not get ball, making it easier for everyone on UConn. Curious.
I think Aubrey was too jacked up when she first entered the game. She was erratic and over playing. As the game went on she calmed down and played some great D!

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Kim's post game comments regarding COVID were straight up ignorant and I have said so elsewhere. I'm not sure her comments on COVID have anything to do with what we are discussing here. I don't believe Kim disregarded the safety of her own player as is being stated here. Athletic departments have procedures and policies in place to separate the coach from the process of determine a players medical ability to play. There are plenty of things for which Kim can be demonized. This is not one of them.

You know what, upon reflection you are right.

I was a bit harsh there conflating her words in the one case and her handling of that substitution in the other.

Reaction Score
That is absolutely ridiculous! It was the Baylor medical staff made the decision that Didi was able to return to the game. Once the decision was made that she could return Kim asked that the taping of the hamstring be hurried because UCONN was in the middle of a 19-0 run. The same thing happened in the Arizona game last night with McDonald and earlier in the season when Paige was hurried along so she could return to the game against TN. There was no poor judgement and nothing wrong with any coach saying of a key players -get her ready ASAP if she is able to return-this game is on the line. Baylor out of timeouts during the run?
You seem to know a lot about the inner workings on the Baylor sideline.

Reaction Score
It's not apples to oranges. If that's what you want to believe - okay. Believe what you want. You're seeing things much differently than me. But my point was clear when I spoke of Carrington. I spoke of +/- stats.

I asked the question and I can ask again differently- how do you think Carrington's +/- stats were for the game vs the other starters on her team? She was probably 2nd best other than the pg., in terms of +/-, right? Bottom-line was that she was a productive player. If you are going to knock her offense then apparently UCONN wasn't as tired as you suggest?

And who was the player Baylor went to and who scored the most late for Baylor? So my question was clear -- after the game was over -do you think Kim was satisfied that one of her top players was probably fresher late than the UCONN guards? That's what I also posted. DO you think Kim took solace knowing that she had one of her top players on the bench those important 3.5 minutes, instead of playing her? We've seen Geno take out Doty from the starting lineup in a big game, right? And we saw Kim starting Carrington in 2nd half.

And while you are making it a point to tell me about how you feel by putting in AM and you don’t want me to take it as heated criticism; I want to say my reply is the same back at you and here it is--

You and I have had complete disagreement on how the game should be played. I look at your view of the game (not a specific player) as totally wrong, --- correct? So the point that you wanted to bring in AM - and Geno didn't do it-- and I favor playing the best players as long as they can handle it-- what do you think I think of that move that you wanted to do (in which you are implying criticism in some manner)?

Auriemma plays the style I want to see. And IMO the style that you want to see is completely reckless. Even after UCONN won the game you seem willing to want to go with a different style while recognizing it might fail although we know the current style Geno has employed over the years has been incredibly successful. IMO that's off-the-charts reckless of you. I can see criticizing an offensive set, not calling a timeout, what defense to use, who you'd start in some manner, – but a philosophy that he has employed over the years and yet recklessly thinking that a lesser player is the answer to me is just so wrong.

And imo just as you have way over-exaggerated of CW's past deficiencies this season just as imo - you are way over-exaggerating the last 5 minutes too. One thing being tired but overall the team was nowhere near what you are exaggerating. There has to be excuses now why Paige misses shots vs a terrific defensive team? It had nothing to with being fouled a bit also by an aggressive team in which the officials were letting rough play go on as well?
wow. you feel better now Hoop? Thanks for bolding parts of your response - I'll do that same back to you in kind. I don't need you to keep reminding me that we don't agree on things. I'll remind you that I already know this and as far as I am concerned, it is ok - no problem that we disagree.

1. Carrington - I've mentioned that for some silly reason Kim doesn't start Carrington. This implies that I disagree with a HOF coach who has 3 championships and won lots of games however...... I don't think we are allowed to have such an opinion are we? We we up by 5 when she came in. up by 2 when Kim was trying to get her in. Carrington played well early but really fell off late with a terrible shooting night. She was still moving well on defense. So to answer you Q on how I think Kim feels about not starting her: How the hell should I know how she feels? She could feel the way you think she should or she could feel that sitting her the first 3 minutes is still the best result for her team because she wouldn't have had the same production if she starts.

2. AM - You said: 'I favor playing the best players as long as they can handle it'. I got some news flash for ya Hoop: I DO TOO!!!! You also said: 'yet recklessly thinking that a lesser player is the answer to me is just so wrong'. No no no Hoop! Don't cheery pick my words! I'll say it again in big bold type just for you: I think that a lesser player WHEN FRESH is better than a superior player WHEN EXHAUSTED. This way your better players have something left at the end, especially playing a tough, strong, big and great defensive team like Baylor. Please take ALL of my words and not just a few that fit you agenda!! Everybody in the world thinks a better player is superior to a lesser player, all things equal.

I do know that with 7 minutes to go, we had a 9 pt lead at 64-55. We scored 5 pts the rest of the way (only 2 buckets, only one via half court offense, the other created by AE's block. Baylor scored 12. They kicked out butts the last 7 minutes of the game. Thank God they ran out of time! They looked like the fresher team which is expected considering their size and strength advantage.

So no, I don't think playing AM for 8 minutes is reckless. In fact, I think it would have resulted in a more productive final 7 minutes (could not have been much worse) and the game may have not been as close as it was. Not because AM is the greatest player on the planet, but simply to get the starters a few minutes rest for the 4th quarter stretch run. I think many coaches would have done precisely that. AM was a starter and hit 3 threes the last game and played well on defense - she isn't exactly horrible and to play her is NOT reckless. A fresh AM is better than an exhausted CW, PB or EW. Anybody knows that we played hard and tough the entire game, but were also very fortunate to come out of that game with a win. We can agree to disagree and I'm fine with that.

3. You can say all you want about me exaggerating CW's defense earlier in the year, but she even admitted in a recent interview that her defense needed to be better. GA mentioned it as well and even benched her for a half earlier in the season and I don't think it was because she missed a shot or wasn't working on offense. GA has never once mentioned CW's defense in a positive light, until the BE tournament. I have mentioned CW's defensive resurgence numerous times since. I stand by my words (before and after CW's defensive resurgence). We can agree to disagree and I'm fine with that.

4. I really don't get you implying that I'm criticizing a philosophy employed by GA. Did I say that he should play zone the entire game? Did I say his offense sucks and he needs to scrap it for a triangle and one? No I did not - that would be a philosophical difference Hoop. It is you who is exaggerating. I said many times in the past and I only mention this because I believe this is what you are referring to, that I would give AG 8 minutes more a game and probably take those minutes from CW. That is NOT a demotion for CW or even a promotion for AG. I just think CW would have been better with 30 minutes a game instead of 38. Keep in mind that 30 minutes is 75% of the game and lot of minutes. If you think that would ruin the season and is reckless, well I think you are, in your words: 'over-exaggerating'. We can agree to disagree and I'm fine with that.

5. Last 5 minutes (actually 7): You try to categorise things for maximum negative effect. I gave an observation on why PB was coming up short on all her shots in the last 5-6 minutes and your response is 'There has to be excuses now why Paige misses shots vs a terrific defensive team?'. Ok, if that is they way you see my post, then I guess everybody is looking for excuses when things don't go as planned. No, I'm not looking for excuses. I acknowledged that Baylor has a great defense, saying that they are arguably the best defense in the nation. But PB also shredded them for 28 pts through 3 quarters and 3 minutes shooting 10-17 (60%) and 3-6 from 3 in the process. That is a heck of a game! She did exactly what I said she would do against this vaunted Baylor defense.

Then in the last 7 minutes, she couldn't get open, missed all her open and contested shots, went 0-5 whilst not having the energy to fight threw a screen, allowed a layup and was not being able to shake herself free from the defense - something she consistently did UNTIL she simply ran out of gas at the end. She also completely forgot to set a screen for CW at the end (or maybe she was to run her man off the screen), either way, GA lost his mind on it. Was PB mentally tired at the end or was she spacing out when GA gave her the instructions in the timeout or does she just not have the mentally capacity to understand GA's instructions? I think mental exhaustion may have played a part, but who really knows. By the way, EW had issues too allowing Carrington to blow easily by her with 53 secs left to get to the line for FTs. I wonder if CW missing 3 straight FTs had something to do with exhaustion. Maybe, maybe not.....

Now as a comparison, AE, on the other hand, helped us tremendously with her defense down the stretch which led to 1 of our only 2 buckets we had in the last 7 minutes and I think the second block on Carrington was questionable, not to mention the close-out/block on Carrington at the end - no doubt she was not exhausted and saved our season. Seems GA played AG a lot in this game, but I bet if he didn't and somehow we still win, you would argue that not playing AG was the ONLY way to win because she is a lesser player and that is GA's philosophy and therefor there can be no disagreements with GA!

Certainly at minimum, some of our total lack of anything offensively in the last 7 minutes is due to PB, EW and CW being tired and to a much lesser extent the Baylor defense. Or do you really think it is only due to Baylor's defense? Hell no...We were on pace to score 80 pts at the 7 minute mark of Q4 AND shooting close to 50% from the field at that point. So that great defense wasn't exactly slowing us down...until the last 7 minutes when we ran out of gas....

PB was killing them throughout the game. She had nothing left at the end. But if you want to say poor execution of offense, 2-8 shooting and turnovers in the the final minutes was solely due to that great Baylor defense, you know the same defense that PB shredded for 28 pts earlier in the game on 60% shooting at the 7 minute mark, then so be it. We can agree to disagree and I'm fine with that.

Finally, just because I disagree every now and then with GA, doesn't mean that I am automatically wrong and doesn't mean that I disagree with 'a philosophy that he has employed over the years'. It means I disagree with a small part of his overall coaching philosophy...and yes, I know he has won a lot more championships and games than I have.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dear Kim,
11. Last night Carrington was Baylor best player. What did you wait until Baylor was down double digits (4-14) to put her in the game?
She was put into the game when the score was 9-4 actually. She was not very good in reality. She had some really nice splash plays, but overall she shot 7-22, including 2-12 in the second half when she completely ignored her teammates and 1-7 from 3 pt. She also had 3 costly turnovers and jacked up shots unnecessarily early in the shot clock. She helped push Uconn over the top.. In this game she was a high volume, low return player in my opinion.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You seem to know a lot about the inner workings on the Baylor sideline.
I know enough. Is there anything else I can enlighten you about the Baylor sideline that would prevent you and @oldude from continuing to slander Kim with these lies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know enough. Is there anything else I can enlighten you about the Baylor sideline that would prevent you and @oldude from continuing to slander Kim with these lies.
I’m having a pretty good day Coco. How about you? Seems to me you are committed to beating this dead horse. Time to move on.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I’m having a pretty good day Coco. How about you? Seems to me you are committed to beating this dead horse. Time to move on.
Try and move on without slandering other people and you are bound to have a better day. I'm not going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom