UConn stats... 10 reasons Baylor lost... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn stats... 10 reasons Baylor lost...

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And what about her presser in which she urged the powers that be to stop any further virus tests, so that nothing could prevent the tournament from being completed? Certainly nothing so trivial as a life-threatening disease.
Do you get the feeling sometimes that the players are just pawns to be moved around, not for their own sake, but to suit the moment?
That was a bizarre tangent to be sure. I think Mulkey said something to the effect that it would be a “travesty” if a FF team had to forfeit if someone tested positive. When I heard that I remember thinking that it would be a tragedy if someone was positive, was not tested and subsequently became really ill or died.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes you and I are never going to agree as long as you keep making stuff up! Not that unusual for a player to try and give it a go after an injury (return to the game) and later find out that cannot operate fully and had to be taken out. Happens all the time. You have stated that Didi returned to the game "without" being evaluated. You have also stated that Kim directed Didi to return to the game. Both are lies and you need to stop it.
The evaluation was cursory at best and not in line with standard medical practice for a hamstring injury, and of course Kim directed Didi to return to the game. She’s the freakin HC.

Reaction Score
Dear Kim,
I know it is hard to lose a close game to arch rival Uconn. Your team is vey talented, and plays super hard. But, you didn't lose because of the last shot taken by your team not being called a foul. Here is a list of 10 reasons Baylor lost that make more sense than blaming the refs for a non call.

1. Your team missed 40 shots. FORTY. Your guys missed 39 other shots before the last one.
2. Your defense allowed Paige to score 28 points. Hold her to 25 and you win.
3. Carrington, your "go to scorer", was 2-12 in the 2nd half including 0-4 from three range.
4. UConn shot 8-17 from deep. That is 47% from a team that hit only 35% all season.
5. Your team missed 7 of 20 free throws. Make 3 freebies and win.
6. Baylor made only 2 threes all game and missed 7.
7. Normally, your rebounding advantage is 19 per game. Against the Huskies, it was only 2 rebounds. (41-39)
8. Your team had 10 shots blocked by UConn's Ono, Edwards and Griffin.
9. Your guys scored 24 points in the 1st period and only 28 in the whole 2nd half.
10. Starting with 2 minutes left in the 3rd period, and running about 5 minutes of game time, your team gave up 19 straight points and scored 0.

UConn scored 69 points on 43.3% shooting. Give them credit for playing hard and with determination. Each of the items listed above contributed more to your defeat than the last shot your team took. Deal with it, give credit and be mature.

Go Huskies..!!
That is so great!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I mean we all knew Baylor wasn't a very good 3 point shooting team. They had a great team this year but losing Cox, Landrum and Cooper were major losses and all shot the 3 ball well. The only decent 3 point shooters on Baylor's team was Ursin and Andrews (who Kim didn't play very much). Carrington wasn't that good of a 3 point shooter but made them here and there. She shot them way too much in my opinion.

Their team relied on the backs of Smith, Ursin and Carrington they were pretty limited on who they could count on to score. Egbo was a rebounder and good shot blocker but hasn't been a consistent scorer. UCONN just had more players to turn too than Baylor. Last year UCONN was building back up the pieces and this year it was Baylor.

I hope the Baylor/UCONN series continues. Its GREAT for WBB and its always exciting.

Carrington didn't get the memo. She was a 29% three-point shooter and still shot 7 threes last night. She made one.

Have to disagree with your description of the two teams. Baylor and UConn both had 4 players averaging double digits in points. Egbo and Edwards averaged similar numbers.

UConn relied heavily on 3 freshman throughout the season (just two last night) while Baylor relied heavily on more experienced players. I'd say UConn is buiding back up the pieces this year (and next) while Baylor will need to do that next season and beyond.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The evaluation was cursory at best and not in line with standard medical practice for a hamstring injury, and of course Kim directed Didi to return to the game. She’s the freakin HC.
So now there was an evaluation but apparently not to your standard?
lying simon rex GIF by Simon Rex / Dirt Nasty

Reaction Score
UConn relied heavily on 3 freshman throughout the season (just two last night) while Baylor relied heavily on more experienced players. I'd say UConn is buiding back up the pieces this year (and next) while Baylor will need to do that next season and beyond.
One thing Baylor has going for them is experience. I still think UCONN is more talented them, even with younger players. Having potential generational players like Paige definitely must be nice. She was the difference maker in the game.

Baylor IMO will be better next year if those transfer guards live up to their billing (Carr and Kamaria). They will have much better perimeter shooting than they had this year. If they lose Didi, it will be a big loss defensively but they may upgrade offensively. I expect Moon Ursin to be back.

The year after when they lose Smith, Egbo, etc is when it will be a major rebuild.

UCONN is set up for years with the way they recruit. Kim missed out on some big recruits in the last couple years in my opinion which is why they have supplemented much more through the portal. They will always be top 8 as long as she is there but they will have to find different ways of pulling in the talent.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
lying simon rex GIF by Simon Rex / Dirt Nasty
I know you struggle sometimes with reading comprehension, so I suggest that you go back and read my original post where I state clearly that there was not a “complete evaluation”, although I suspect that distinction is lost on you.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I know you struggle sometimes with reading comprehension, so I suggest that you go back and read my original post where I state clearly that there was not a “complete evaluation”, although I suspect that distinction is lost on you.
There is nothing wrong with my comprehension-now you are trying to insult your way out of a lie in bold below.
The Baylor “medical staff” in this instance was a trainer. There was no medical doctor evaluating Richards. A turned ankle is far different than an injured hamstring. Even the NFL doesn’t send players back on the field with a pulled hamstring. The standard procedure for an injured hamstring is for a clinical diagnosis, potentially including an MRI to determine if the hamstring was torn. No such diagnosis or procedure was performed on Richards, who was in obvious pain.

Reaction Score
Was surprised they didn’t get it to Smith more throughout the game, even if she was covered. She was the All-American, not Carrington.
Ditto. When Aubrey entered the game, for a time Smith dominated her particularly on pick and rolls and rebounding/offensive put backs. Later in the game, Aubrey became Aubrey, the two charges she took in critical situations were clutch. Particularly in 4th Q, Smith did not get ball, making it easier for everyone on UConn. Curious.

Reaction Score
That was a bizarre tangent to be sure. I think Mulkey said something to the effect that it would be a “travesty” if a FF team had to forfeit if someone tested positive. When I heard that I remember thinking that it would be a tragedy if someone was positive, was not tested and subsequently became really ill or died.
Many in my family are emergency room nurses and report some of the worst long term results are being experienced in the 18-30 year old category. Few deaths but many with long term breathing, heart or mental issues as a result of Covid. Seems like Mulkey just thinks everyone is bullet proof.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is nothing wrong with my comprehension-now you are trying to insult your way out of a lie in bold below.
Yes, there was no clinical diagnosis or MRI. Are you suggesting there was?

There was a cursory evaluation by the trainer, and Kim couldn’t wait to get Richards back in the game as she saw Baylor’s lead slipping away.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Many in my family are emergency room nurses and report some of the worst long term results are being experienced in the 18-30 year old category. Few deaths but many with long term breathing, heart or mental issues as a result of Covid. Seems like Mulkey just thinks everyone is bullet proof.
I guess because Kim is a tough old bird who survived Covid ( that is a complement), she believes it’s no big deal (that is unfortunate).

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
It is unfortunate that a great game between two titans came down to the equivalent of a coin flip -- the game turning on a ref's split-second decision not to blow his whistle on one play. But the nature of the game, and of all sports contests, is that such things will occasionally happen.
Great games always do... Maybe 80 coin flips in a 40 minute game, any one of which changes the outcome. The only difference in the last 10 seconds is, there's no coming back.

Reaction Score
Excellent analysis DN.

By complaining about the “non-call” at the end of the game, Baylor’s players and coaches let themselves off the hook for any responsibility for the loss. Sadly, it reflects a weakness in human nature.
Actually very typical of today's times. Blame the other guy and refuse to accept responsibility.

Reaction Score
Dear Kim,
I know it is hard to lose a close game to arch rival Uconn. Your team is vey talented, and plays super hard. But, you didn't lose because of the last shot taken by your team not being called a foul. Here is a list of 10 reasons Baylor lost that make more sense than blaming the refs for a non call.

1. Your team missed 40 shots. FORTY. Your guys missed 39 other shots before the last one.
2. Your defense allowed Paige to score 28 points. Hold her to 25 and you win.
3. Carrington, your "go to scorer", was 2-12 in the 2nd half including 0-4 from three range.
4. UConn shot 8-17 from deep. That is 47% from a team that hit only 35% all season.
5. Your team missed 7 of 20 free throws. Make 3 freebies and win.
6. Baylor made only 2 threes all game and missed 7.
7. Normally, your rebounding advantage is 19 per game. Against the Huskies, it was only 2 rebounds. (41-39)
8. Your team had 10 shots blocked by UConn's Ono, Edwards and Griffin.
9. Your guys scored 24 points in the 1st period and only 28 in the whole 2nd half.
10. Starting with 2 minutes left in the 3rd period, and running about 5 minutes of game time, your team gave up 19 straight points and scored 0.

UConn scored 69 points on 43.3% shooting. Give them credit for playing hard and with determination. Each of the items listed above contributed more to your defeat than the last shot your team took. Deal with it, give credit and be mature.

Go Huskies..!!
Dearest Kim,

All kidding aside, she was one heck of a player. Though she didn’t get the call here either. Back from the days when TV reception and recording over other stuff on VCR tapes was among our biggest challenges. :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Actually very typical of today's times. Blame the other guy and refuse to accept responsibility.
Had the shoe been on the other foot and UConn lost the game on a questionable call, I’m pretty sure Geno’s response would have been something to the effect that, “We didn’t lose the game on that one play. There were lots of other plays that we could have made during the game, but didn’t.”

Reaction Score
Dearest Kim,

All kidding aside, she was one heck of a player. Though she didn’t get the call here either. Back from the days when TV reception and recording over other stuff on VCR tapes was among our biggest challenges. :)

Funny how styles change. The shorter shorts are coming back but I think the pull over half zip tops are now illegal as I believe the shirts have to be tucked in today. Not sure why.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score

Objectively speaking: that Trainer was under pressure to get her back in the game, asap.

Sooo, the gavel has to come down in favour of oldude; and, CocoHusky you should let it go, gracefully.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
That is absolutely ridiculous! It was the Baylor medical staff made the decision that Didi was able to return to the game.
The Baylor “medical staff” in this instance was a trainer. There was no medical doctor evaluating Richards. The standard procedure for an injured hamstring is for a clinical diagnosis, potentially including an MRI to determine if the hamstring was torn. No such diagnosis or procedure was performed on Richards, who was in obvious pain.
This was not a medical decision in any way shape or form...
This was a Mulkey desperation move.
Tape her up and shove her back in.
The kid could barely walk.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Objectively speaking: that Trainer was under pressure to get her back in the game, asap.

Sooo, the gavel has to come down in favour of oldude; and, CocoHusky you should let it go, gracefully.

Speaking of being graceful, you apparently skipped over my first post on the subject. Yes trainer and medical staff are under tremendous pressure to get players back in the game ASAP. That is far different than saying a (Kim) coach directed a player to go back in the game without the player being properly evaluated & against the wishes of the trainer or the medical staff as @oldude & @msf22b are claiming. Are you sure you are qualified to operate that gavel?
That is absolutely ridiculous! It was the Baylor medical staff made the decision that Didi was able to return to the game. Once the decision was made that she could return Kim asked that the taping of the hamstring be hurried because UCONN was in the middle of a 19-0 run. The same thing happened in the Arizona game last night with McDonald and earlier in the season when Paige was hurried along so she could return to the game against TN. There was no poor judgement and nothing wrong with any coach saying of a key players -get her ready ASAP if she is able to return-this game is on the line.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Youre Funny Season 5 GIF by The Office

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Speaking of being graceful, . . . . . . . . . . Are you sure you are qualified to operate that gavel?

I like you CocoHusky and often agree with your point of view.

I do think Kim said it best when she said NOT to test the final four teams in case one of them tests positive. That observation is in line with the injury "evaluation" done in this case. What you don't know can't influence your decision....

Ooooh, yep - 27 years and counting :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I just rewatched a YouTube video on UConn’s 19 pt run last night. During the run, ESPN kept panning back to Kim on the sideline who’s appearance and gestures reminded me of a similar event during the 2017 MS St - Baylor Elite 8 game, when Morgan William and the Bulldogs stunned the Lady Bears.

Kim looked tentative and distraught, as she was unable to stem the tide in 2017 and again last night. The only difference last night was that Kim would frequently look down towards the trainer’s area and occasionally shout in that direction, presumably to get Richards taped up ASAP. In the video there didn’t appear to be any particular consultation between Kim & the medical staff. It was all about getting Richards back on the court.

But then again, we are talking about a HC that is advocating for the NCAA to halt any further Covid testing in both the Men’s & Women’s FF.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I like you CocoHusky and often agree with your point of view.

I do think Kim said it best when she said NOT to test the final four teams in case one of them tests positive. That observation is in line with the injury "evaluation" done in this case. What you don't know can't influence your decision....

Ooooh, yep - 27 years and counting :)

Kim's post game comments regarding COVID were straight up ignorant and I have said so elsewhere. I'm not sure her comments on COVID have anything to do with what we are discussing here. I don't believe Kim disregarded the safety of her own player as is being stated here. Athletic departments have procedures and policies in place to separate the coach from the process of determine a players medical ability to play. There are plenty of things for which Kim can be demonized. This is not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom