UConn @ St. Joseph's University (PA) Hawks (Friday 3/19/21 @ 3p, Saturday 3/20/21 @ 2p & Sunday 3/21/21 @ Noon) All games streamed on ESPN+ | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn @ St. Joseph's University (PA) Hawks (Friday 3/19/21 @ 3p, Saturday 3/20/21 @ 2p & Sunday 3/21/21 @ Noon) All games streamed on ESPN+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bushling is no where near Woody in any category- I would give Hague the job and have Bushling as a late game offensive replacement, if need be. Brown and Langer have 3rd covered well in my opinion.

I think Bushling's offense keeps him in the lineup. Like I've said before, I think he is much better off at 3B defensively.

Reaction Score
Erik Stock single brings in two runs. Runners on 2nd and 3rd. 9-8.

Korey Morton in for Crawford as a pinch runner. One of the fastest runners UConn baseball has had.
I was wondering if that was him or Hague over there. SJU broadcasters never mentioned who pinch ran for Reggie.

Reaction Score
This should be another interesting postgame interview with Coach Penders. Another big comeback attempt, but they dug themselves too big a hole again with a grab bag of problems in so many facets of the game.

Reaction Score
Another argument for moving Bushling off of shortstop. The pitcher's best friend is the double play, and with Bushling at shortstop, this team doesn't turn too many of them at all. And it isn't exactly due to a shortage of opposing runners on base.

Reaction Score
Bushling doesn't have the range or arm strength to play SS. He has been shaky all year. Where do you move him though. Need his bat. CWink needs to be designated to pinch bunter at this point and can't wait until PWink can catch again so we can have Ferrer at the DH.

Reaction Score
Bushling doesn't have the range or arm strength to play SS. He has been shaky all year. Where do you move him though. Need his bat. CWink needs to be designated to pinch bunter at this point and can't wait until PWink can catch again so we can have Ferrer at the DH.

The UConn coaching staff has been waiting for Chris Winkel's bat to come around for a long time. He never hit for much power or had a big on base percentage in his first three seasons at UConn. With him hitting .348 in the shortened season last year, one would think that his offensive potential had finally arrived. I took a quick look at his stats from last season, and found that in the first three weekends of the season Chris Winkel hit .226. Winkel went a bit berserk in the last 4 games, three against Presbyterian and one game against Hartford, going 9 for 15 at the plate to raise his average. Whatever, the case, this boost in production right at end of the season provided something of the narrative that Winkel was now a big offensive threat. Well, it certainly looks like now that this one week boost in production from the end of last season was not an indicator of potential future success.

Reaction Score
I noticed the same thing a few weeks ago since I don’t remember him being as good as his stats last year. And as you pointed out he had a great week against the lower level competition we played in last years abbreviated schedule. With TC now hurt and Ben Maycock looking just an inept at the plate, Kevin ferrer being a liability in the field Penders doesn’t have great options at the moment.

Reaction Score
Bottom line, if they keep putting more bats than gloves in the lineup, the score will continue to look like a Men's slow pitch softball game.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have an update on Pat's "injury"? I thought I heard a hamstring injury, but he appeared to be running the bases fine yesterday.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have an update on Pat's "injury"? I thought I heard a hamstring injury, but he appeared to be running the bases fine yesterday.
You did hear recouping/battling a hamstring issue... they don’t want him crouching/up & down for 9 inning.

I believe Chris Jones was talking about Pat Winkel having a tight hamstring. Hitting is one thing, but as @huskymedic says, putting him behind the plate is another. While UConn is better off with Pat behind the plate, you definitely don't want to take chances with him.

Reaction Score
I believe Chris Jones was talking about Pat Winkel having a tight hamstring. Hitting is one thing, but as @huskymedic says, putting him behind the plate is another. While UConn is better off with Pat behind the plate, you definitely don't want to take chances with him.
I agree on not taking any chances with Pat. The hamstring is a deceleration muscle. Running through first and having to slow down suddenly is also a significant risk for hamstring injury/reinjury.

Reaction Score
The game yesterday was painful. This team needs to get with it or the hole they're digging themselves will be too hard to get out of. We're about a quarter of the way into the season and our record stinks. We know they are talented but wins matter. I love the team grit and never die attitude but at the end of the day that gets them nowhere if they make lots of mistakes and lose these games they should be winning. Whatever kick in the pants they need, they need it soon,

Reaction Score
I noticed the same thing a few weeks ago since I don’t remember him being as good as his stats last year. And as you pointed out he had a great week against the lower level competition we played in last years abbreviated schedule. With TC now hurt and Ben Maycock looking just an inept at the plate, Kevin ferrer being a liability in the field Penders doesn’t have great options at the moment.

Ah, Ben Maycock. I have to admit that he always intrigued me with the interesting and bizarre stats he has put up in summer ball, but when given the chance at UConn he has never taken advantage of it (in that respect he is similar to Aaron Hill). Maycock had his big chance at the beginning of last season when he was the starting right fielder, but he went on a big strikeout run at the bat and that pretty much took care of that. For me Maycock is the position player equivalent of Joe Simeone, another guy who has intrigued me for a few years and who is still trying to truly establish himself in the starting rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom