UConn @ St. Joseph's University (PA) Hawks (Friday 3/19/21 @ 3p, Saturday 3/20/21 @ 2p & Sunday 3/21/21 @ Noon) All games streamed on ESPN+ | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn @ St. Joseph's University (PA) Hawks (Friday 3/19/21 @ 3p, Saturday 3/20/21 @ 2p & Sunday 3/21/21 @ Noon) All games streamed on ESPN+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Nice to have a quick and easy one for once.

Reaction Score
Reggie working fast and throwing cheddar...love it!!!

Reaction Score
1BBF3901-D78D-4B95-A2BD-C85517BC53AF.jpeg

Reaction Score
Great all around game today. Peterson was great. Nice defensive play by Bushling as well.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Austin Peterson was awesome, and that set the tone for the day. Also, sounds like we could be seeing lot more of Reggie Crawford out of the pen.
Babe Ruth-esque
Pitching Black And White GIF by US National Archives

Reaction Score
Some interesting developments this weekend. I would think Austin Peterson has now firmly established himself as a weekend starter with his outstanding pitching today. Peterson gave everybody on the team a chance to relax and just play some ball today, and having that happen I suspect will help his teammates in future games.

Austin Peterson now has quite a nice quality season stat line that he is developing. 3.04 ERA, 18 hits and 6 walks allowed in 23.2 innings pitched, and 27 strikeouts. It’s starting to look like UConn now has two weekend starters (Peterson and Casparius) that the team can depend on who can potentially pitch deep into games, and that sort of thing really helps to keep the stress off the bullpen. That makes me feel a lot better right there.

Some good bullpen developments as well. Normally in a 13-0 game like this, we will see young guys out of the bullpen who are just looking to get some experience. Now that is true today with both Justin Willis and Reggie Crawford, but it would seem that both these guys are heading in the direction of potentially being a big helping hand to the backend of the bullpen. I expect Justin Willis could end up picking up some of the types of innings that Kenny Haus has been getting. As for Reggie Crawford, it wouldn’t surprise me to see him turn into some sort of 9th inning guy in those games that Caleb Wurster is not available to pitch. Coach Penders said in the postgame interview that Crawford would have pitched in the Monday Texas Tech game if it were not for the contact lens problem that he had.

Together with the likes of Randy Polonia and Andrew Marrero, both guys who have the trust of the coaching staff, the potential addition of Crawford and Willis does help the bullpen develop some more quality depth. I expect that as the season continues guys like Sam Favieri, Brendan O’Donnell, and perhaps others could develop into trusted pitchers as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom