UConn @ St. John (Friday 5/7 @6p, Saturday 5/8 Doubleheader @Noon & Sunday 5/9 @1p) All games on ESPN3 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn @ St. John (Friday 5/7 @6p, Saturday 5/8 Doubleheader @Noon & Sunday 5/9 @1p) All games on ESPN3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stole that puppy... UConn wins 5-3 in 10.

651C2FBF-A687-4014-B1F2-8999FA17013F.jpeg

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
This team is lunch pail. They don't make anything easy but they find ways to grind it out. Other than K Fed, you never know who is going to come up with the key hit. Bush was struggling and he comes through today. C Fed is scuffling, watch him turn it around the next few days!

Reaction Score
Yeah, but grinding out wins against teams ranked where St. John’s is won’t cut it if we want an at large bid. Need more out of some of the regulars.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but grinding out wins against teams ranked where St. John’s is won’t cut it if we want an at large bid. Need more out of some of the regulars.
I’m honestly at the point where I’m not even hoping for an at large. Just win a bunch and take the conference tournament and hope for a 3 seed vs a 4. Of course I’ve been at this point for at least a month.

Reaction Score
At this point I feel like they would have to win the Big East tourney to get a bid. And unless they start playing better I just don't see it happening. Then again, going into the BE Tourney knowing they have to win it to get a bid seems to be the winning recipe for this team. Play best at desperation time. I just wish they could play a little urgently ealier in games.

Reaction Score
Big East standings after the weekend...

BE Standings.jpg

Seton Hall has series against Creighton and UConn left

Creighton has series against Seton Hall and Xavier

UConn has series against Villanova (*3 gm) and Seton Hall left

Xavier has series against Georgetown and Creighton

*Villanova has only been playing 3 games series.

Reaction Score
Just got back home late today from a trip to Pennsylvania to visit with and take a turn at helping to take care of my 91 year old father.

While I wasn't able to follow the series against St. John's as closely as I normally do, but was able to listen to bits and pieces, including pretty much all of today's game on my phone during the drive back home. To me the most interesting thing of note of the series was the performance of Pat Gallagher and Garrett Coe during the second game of the doubleheader on Saturday. Gallagher continues to make some progress in becoming a reliable starting pitcher, and in this game threw 7 shutout innings, which is the longest stint he has had as a Husky. An impressive performance for sure. Hopefully he is slowly emerging as a generally reliable starter joining in the ranks of Ben Casparius and Austin Peterson. It that happens, that would be a huge development for this team. It's tough for a college team to go anywhere with only two reliable starters.

As for Garrett Coe, while he may not yet be seeing mound time during crunch time during games, I'm beginning to think that we may be seeing a bit more of him during the stretch run of the season. The fact that Coe wasn't yanked from the game after facing a few lefty hitters was something to take note of.

One of the unfortunate things of this Covid affected season is that it has definitely affected the progress of young unestablished players, particularly pitchers. These young pitchers in past seasons usually got some time during midweek games to help in their development, but these midweek games have withered on the vine during this Covid affected season.

When it comes to college baseball, I have always thought that coming up with a sweep of a three game conference series was a tough nut to crack. Sweeping a 4 game conference series is even more so. Getting on a team for not sweeping a 4 game series in this Covid ridden season with its sudden starts and stops is not something I care to do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When it comes to baseball - 3 out of 4 vs anyone is damn good
I understand that this team needs quality wins.................

This isn’t Major League Baseball. When you play a team that is a number of quads below you, you have to win almost all the time. Yes, that is somewhat harder in college baseball than college basketball, because there is more randomness in baseball, but the RPI works the same way.

Reaction Score
This isn’t Major League Baseball. When you play a team that is a number of quads below you, you have to win almost all the time. Yes, that is somewhat harder in college baseball than college basketball, because there is more randomness in baseball, but the RPI works the same way.
I think that's a wildly unrealistic expectation, winning 3 out of 4 on the road in a conference series is a great outcome

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I think that's a wildly unrealistic expectation, winning 3 out of 4 on the road in a conference series is a great outcome
At this point I feel like they would have to win the Big East tourney to get a bid. And unless they start playing better I just don't see it happening. Then again, going into the BE Tourney knowing they have to win it to get a bid seems to be the winning recipe for this team. Play best at desperation time. I just wish they could play a little urgently ealier in games.
No one in the Big East is better than us and I feel our pitching depth would come in handy in the tournament. At any rate, if we can’t win the Big East tournament we wouldn’t go far in the NCAA’s anyway.

For me the result of the series was not as disappointing as the performance by the offense. This is the worst team St John’s has fielded in quite some time, yet 3 out of the 4 games could have gone either way. We need vets to step up big with RISP going forward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro