UConn Spring Football 2021 begins... | Page 17 | The Boneyard

UConn Spring Football 2021 begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree with this. The constant carousal at QB each season is a disaster for any gelling on offense. You don't give a QB the opportunity to be successful or grow if you don't allow them to have growing pains while cementing timing and familiarity during actual game play.

"Constant carousal each season"? People just like to make up their own facts.

Year one under Edsall Sheriffs was the QB after the first half of the first game.

Year two was Pindell all the way.

Year three was Beudry who was injured during the first game then Zergiotis a true freshman who slumped so they gave Krajewski a shot and he immediately got hurt.

Point being there is obviously no plan to have a constant carousal. Sometimes injuries and circumstances leave you no choice. The first two years the QB position was as stable as can be.

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Shakey hit the nail on the head - “Be Aggressive”

Yes, only hardcore fans care about UCONN Football. The program is on deaths doorstep. How do you try to change that with the limited resources we have?

“Be Aggressive”

Here is a tough pill to swallow - UCONN Football is the worst program in FBS. Look at that statement a couple of times, get angry and accept that is true right now.

Then ask - how do we get out of it? Okay, we have a few things going against the team - limited assistant coach salary pool, no conference, 1930s style offense and coach whose media interviews share no information and bland.

Okay, besides that how was the play Mrs. Lincoln? What can we change? Can’t changes athletic department monetary support, can’t change independent status, can’t change coach (see monetary reference), which means we can’t change turn of the 20th century offense.

But. . . We can be aggressive! Open up practices. Tell HCRE to give frank detailed updates. Media Blitz using social media as the focal point. Reach out to students!

People aren’t going to come to any games if they know nothing about the team (other than the handful of hardcore fans)

Coaching will sort itself out after this season - start with the transparency now.
If we are the worst- what is UMass?

Reaction Score
Hardcore fans can put together their own two deep and it probably wouldn't be very far off from the actual two deep.

QB: is an "or" at this point Krajewski or Zergiotis. I'll believe Leon when I see it but not out of the question.
RB: This is easy, expect Mensah and Carter to both get significant burn
WR: Ross, Jeffreys, Drayton are the probable starters backed up by Hairston, Maurisseau and anybody's guess
OL: Left to right RVD, Fortin, Walker, Haynes and Lundt. I'll call Neidrowski the first sub but he may also be a starter.
TE: Rose (assuming he can play) and Medlock.
DE: T Jones, Uguak, Watts, Moore, Gourdine, McCarthy, DeVaughn, Harris, K jones will all play. A quality D line rotation for a change
LB Fortt, Morgan, Mitchell, Swenson are the top four. High hopes for Fogle and Brown.
Safety: I'll go with Ferrell and Harrell as the starters. Anybody know who else is playing safety?
Corners: I have no idea who the top 4 are. Lucien, Bell and....?
No insider information, but in the press conference Edsall made the point of saying that some of the young WRs were pushing for playing time. So thinking he might be referring to some or all of Marion, Clercius and Kevin Dunn (SHU transfer who switched over from playing QB) all of whom were shown making plays in the videos that were posted. And he also said the young RBs were explosive so maybe Houston and Brewton will have roles as well? On the DBs maybe the JUCOs Wortham and Cross are in the mix along with Durante Jones?

Reaction Score
If we are the worst- what is UMass?

I’d say the programs are very very similar. I also think they are one of the worst programs in FBS and if you want to put UCONN a hair ahead of them you won’t get an argument from me. Doesn’t make me much happier either. The fact that the program has fallen to these depths is depressing.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I’d say the programs are very very similar. I also think they are one of the worst programs in FBS and if you want to put UCONN a hair ahead of them you won’t get an argument from me. Doesn’t make me much happier either. The fact that the program has fallen to these depths is depressing.
If you saw their physical infrastructure versus ours, you would see they are light years behind us. They also put less money into football than we do as their only revenue is buy games.

Watch our improvement this year (and I can confidently say that after finally seeing our guys look like football players) before you start rating programs).

Reaction Score
thanks for your interest in University of Connecticut football

on a lighter note. Leaving the American was absolutely necessary. We were losing our fanbase over multiple sports for the sake of playing Tulane & Tulsa. This new paradigm? Promising ... more than I expected. We can play the Top conferences. We play more regional. And our recruiting will be better and more competitive. Worst? Gosh. I think the worst thing is we arent Pitt or BC ... and that's what we tried to Leap. Zero to 80 in a decade. Traditional CFB kicked our ass.

Edsall can build. Set a structure - after this Covid crap - that makes for revenue and interesting football.

For someone to think UMASS is a comparable ... is either showing ignorance or feigning ignorance.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
"Constant carousal each season"? People just like to make up their own facts.

Year one under Edsall Sheriffs was the QB after the first half of the first game.

Year two was Pindell all the way.

Year three was Beudry who was injured during the first game then Zergiotis a true freshman who slumped so they gave Krajewski a shot and he immediately got hurt.

Point being there is obviously no plan to have a constant carousal. Sometimes injuries and circumstances leave you no choice. The first two years the QB position was as stable as can be.
I'm not talking during the season. I'm talking about from season to season. You just highlighted my exact point. 3 QBs in three years. How do establish consistency with that? I'm not talking within a season. I don't need you to tell me something I know in regards to QBs during a season. I'm talking about the revolving door that is the QB position from season to season. Steven Krajewski came in as a highly rated prospect yet he hasn't been given the chance. If he isn't up to snuff, I guess then you need to go with someone who can be and can play moving forward. Why are they not sticking with Zergiotis? Why go away from him? So he slumped? Clearly they thought he was the second best QB on the roster. So stick with him. Instead, you hit reset possibly on season number 4 if you go with a different QB. That is my point.

Reaction Score
UCONN has far greater support. Not even close. A couple of years ago when Whipple was there they were a better team.

Reaction Score
I'm not talking during the season. I'm talking about from season to season. You just highlighted my exact point. 3 QBs in three years. How do establish consistency with that? I'm not talking within a season. I don't need you to tell me something I know in regards to QBs during a season. I'm talking about the revolving door that is the QB position from season to season. Steven Krajewski came in as a highly rated prospect yet he hasn't been given the chance. If he isn't up to snuff, I guess then you need to go with someone who can be and can play moving forward. Why are they not sticking with Zergiotis? Why go away from him? So he slumped? Clearly they thought he was the second best QB on the roster. So stick with him. Instead, you hit reset possibly on season number 4 if you go with a different QB. That is my point.
That would be like if the Patriots stuck with Drew Bledsoe. He was the 2nd overall pick and franchise player. Brady was Fortunate to even have been given a chance.

Reaction Score
The only thing that is depressing is that huskysupporter is really a Husky Hater. Lets see how the team is this year. I spoke with Dave Benedict when Uconn signed Hurley. I asked him if he thought it was a good decision to hire Hurely ( I was really kidding since I thought it was a tremendous hire myself). Benedict said it was a great hire and that Hurley was going to not only turn the program around but that people were going to be shocked at how soon he would do it. Obviously finishing 3rd in Big East,making the NCAA Tourney and bringing in another top ten recruiting class proved him correct. He also said that Randy had an extremely difficult job and turning it around was going to take a long time. Unfortunately he was correct. Let's see if this team can win 4 or 5 games this year and see an improvement. If they have another year with one win I will join huskysupporter on suicide watch.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That would be like if the Patriots stuck with Drew Bledsoe. He was the 2nd overall pick and franchise player. Brady was Fortunate to even have been given a chance.
First pick.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure that is so unusual in the current climate and when a new coach comes in. With guys transferring all the time, even major powers see changes at quarterback. Certainly BC/Syracuse level programs do. And sometimes things don’t work out. Edsall clearly brought in Pindell with the idea he would be the qb for 2 years. Unfortunately he didn’t adapt as quickly as hoped. I also think he recruited Krewjewsky (sp) thinking he would take over, and Beaudry was more of a bridge...probably would play a year, manage the game and be replaced by Steven Krajewski either later in the season, or certainly the next year. For whatever reason, Krejewski didn’t perform as expected, and Zergiotis got the nod when Beaudry went down. If I were a betting man, I would bet KrejewskI will be the guy this year. Had he not gone down, I suspect he was primed to finally take over in 2019. Plus given that he has stayed around leads me to think he has the inside track.

Reaction Score
Hardcore fans can put together their own two deep and it probably wouldn't be very far off from the actual two deep.

QB: is an "or" at this point Krajewski or Zergiotis. I'll believe Leon when I see it but not out of the question.
RB: This is easy, expect Mensah and Carter to both get significant burn
WR: Ross, Jeffreys, Drayton are the probable starters backed up by Hairston, Maurisseau and anybody's guess
OL: Left to right RVD, Fortin, Walker, Haynes and Lundt. I'll call Neidrowski the first sub but he may also be a starter.
TE: Rose (assuming he can play) and Medlock.
DE: T Jones, Uguak, Watts, Moore, Gourdine, McCarthy, DeVaughn, Harris, K jones will all play. A quality D line rotation for a change
LB Fortt, Morgan, Mitchell, Swenson are the top four. High hopes for Fogle and Brown.
Safety: I'll go with Ferrell and Harrell as the starters. Anybody know who else is playing safety?
Corners: I have no idea who the top 4 are.

I would hope T Jones plays a little more DT than DE

Reaction Score
Alabama had three different starter the last three years (hurts, tua and Jones). They seemed to do ok. It’s college players change.

Reaction Score
I would hope T Jones plays a little more DT than DE
Just a typo on my part, I meant DL as I was lumping them all together. However now that you bring it up I wouldn't be surprised if T Jones moves around in passing situations in an effort to generate a pass rush.

Reaction Score
Just a typo on my part, I meant DL as I was lumping them all together. However now that you bring it up I wouldn't be surprised if T Jones moves around in passing situations in an effort to generate a pass rush.
Exactly brother. I see that happening as well, but in a base defense, he's strictly DT

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Alabama had three different starter the last three years (hurts, tua and Jones). They seemed to do ok. It’s college players change.
When we get players that are the caliber of players that Alabama get, I'm all good with your argument. Not quite sure you can try and use that as a comparison....

Reaction Score
When we get players that are the caliber of players that Alabama get, I'm all good with your argument. Not quite sure you can try and use that as a comparison....
My point is if you want consistency, watch the pros. Kids graduate, improve, lose interest, etc... Rosters change. As someone else pointed out, sheriffs and pindell were good players who provided lots of stability, but they ran out of eligibility. Last year, with all the new faces and injuries at that position, bad stuff happened.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My point is if you want consistency, watch the pros. Kids graduate, improve, lose interest, etc... Rosters change. As someone else pointed out, sheriffs and pindell were good players who provided lots of stability, but they ran out of eligibility. Last year, with all the new faces and injuries at that position, bad stuff happened.

With an average career length of 3 1/2 years? For every Tom Brady and Drew Brees, there is a 4th rounder who washes out after the 3rd preseason game.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I hear ya but when was the last time we had a QB who went more than one season as the starter? You look at the answer to that, and then look at our record over those seasons. I believe there is a correlation. Not saying it's all of it, but having that consistency leads to better offense. What has this team lacked the most over the these years? Offense.

Reaction Score
I hear ya but when was the last time we had a QB who went more than one season as the starter? You look at the answer to that, and then look at our record over those seasons. I believe there is a correlation. Not saying it's all of it, but having that consistency leads to better offense. What has this team lacked the most over the these years? Offense.
Actually, lately, we've lacked our bread and butter.. DEFENSE... Hopefully that changes.. and we at least get the offense we've had post Lashlee, BUT with much better OL play

Reaction Score
Sherriffs was a three year starter. 6-7; 3-9; 3-9
Whitmer was an incumbent starter (losing the job in 2013 at the coaching change before regaining it in 2014): 5-7; 3-9; 2-10

Reaction Score
The chance he received made the most out of his opportunity. I feel he will be qb1 game one. Showed very good mechanics and reads against UCF. Comes from a winning program and HS coach. Also showed his toughness and ability to run playing that game with a broken clavic. Hopefully he learned how to slide in practice after that at 6’4 218 that’s a solid size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom