UConn Spring Football 2021 begins... | Page 16 | The Boneyard

UConn Spring Football 2021 begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the Storrs Central crew (much more detail than the few tweets from McFarland/UCTV -> e.g. DB Winston Jules had ACL surgery today):

Probably the most positive I've heard Edsall about the program in a long time.

Sounds like we'll be winning a few games this year...

Reaction Score
Agree we aren’t Alabama or Clemson the secrecy is annoying give the fans something to look forward too

Reaction Score
Just guessing but if he is looking for transfers he is looking for offensive line, linebacker, tight end, and if a really good quarterback fell into his lap he wouldn’t say no. Oline is young and Edsall said they need to get bigger stronger, tight end is not real deep, and backers you can always use. Every coach is looking for the quarterback.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I could do every college coach’s spring press conference. Google every head coach and they all say the same thing. Only differences are the name of the school and the accent of the guy talking.

And on fish performance to fact check the rhetoric.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
QB will be a circus, will make 2010 look like Brett Favre's stint with the Packers.

Will it be more of a circus than PP's last year? I hope not.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It sometimes feels like Edsall does the bare minimum for fans. He will communicate when and what he has to...but that's it.

We are one of two teams in FBS football who took a red shirt this year. And we limped into that redshirt year. Fan interest was already waning and now after not being on the field for two years, the fans are really disconnected from the team.

Enough with the "this is how we have always done it" and super duper secrecy. Why not stream a scrimmage? What will it hurt to release a two deep? Put a bunch of "ors" in if it makes you uncomfortable.

I feel like Edsall has them on the right path...and I do think (not sure why other than blind trust in Edsall) the team will be much better this year. But I wish he was a little more concerned about fan engagement.

Reaction Score
It sometimes feels like Edsall does the bare minimum for fans. He will communicate when and what he has to...but that's it.

We are one of two teams in FBS football who took a red shirt this year. And we limped into that redshirt year. Fan interest was already waning and now after not being on the field for two years, the fans are really disconnected from the team.

Enough with the "this is how we have always done it" and super duper secrecy. Why not stream a scrimmage? What will it hurt to release a two deep? Put a bunch of "ors" in if it makes you uncomfortable.

I feel like Edsall has them on the right path...and I do think (not sure why other than blind trust in Edsall) the team will be much better this year. But I wish he was a little more concerned about fan engagement.
I disagree with you here. Aside from the folks on this board, I don’t think the casual fan will care one bit about releasing a 2-deep, naming a starting QB, or a scrimmage.

Selfishly I would love to see all of the above, but at this point most UConn fans just care about the team winning games and we have unique advantages this year with no recent tape for most of the roster.

If that gives us even the slightest edge to win more games, I think it’s worth it.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Back in 2001 and 2002(pre Rent days) - the buzz around the program started with winning games. Then the newness of a big stadium and winning football and beating names we knew brought the fans out in droves. That continued until PP days and have gone downhill ever since.

I don't think that model will necessarily work without tweaks. Here is what has changed:
1) the student body- the student body was rabidly into sports back in those days. This student body is not as the academic standards have increased and apps and gaming have changed behaviors. Even is are winning, I am not sure a student is staying 4 quarters.

2) Attending a football game - it isn't in the Connecticut DNA to sit outside for 3.5 hours to watch a football game. For the hardcore fans- yes - but someone who is more casual will not have that time to invest plus tailgate.

3) The length of a game- football games used to be under 3 hours - they are at least 3 1/2 hours now. Not conducive to fans to stay the whole time.

There are other factors as well- team interactions, media decline in the state(no more hoard), drop in high school football popularity, etc.

What can be done? I am repeating myself here- but the Rent needs really good wireless and a stadium app that allows us in the stands to see replays from different camera angles on our phones. Have a drone overhead with a camera to show above play video. Waiting for the scoreboard to show a replay isn't the answer when we can't see a video replay from different angles. If we have the same video amenities as if we were watching at home would be a big improvement.

Winning will help to an extent. Winning versus named opponents will help drive more fans to the Rent.

I think it is a slow climb so whatever RE does will never be enough to get the place filled like it was 11 years ago. To me the criticism of his public relations is tantamount to criticizing the mid field logo. It is something to talk about but not all that important in the end.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I disagree with you here. Aside from the folks on this board, I don’t think the casual fan will care one bit about releasing a 2-deep, naming a starting QB, or a scrimmage.

Selfishly I would love to see all of the above, but at this point most UConn fans just care about the team winning games and we have unique advantages this year with no recent tape for most of the roster.

If that gives us even the slightest edge to win more games, I think it’s worth it.
The hardcore fans need love too. It's not just about the casual fan. I would hate to think they take hard core fans for granted and don't think or act creatively because it won't interest the casual fan.

As I have said...I like Edsall...but his Achilles heel has been evolving. I do like @hardcorehusky idea with phone replays. But that's only good for those in attendance. Releasing a two deep or streaming a scrimmage would have been a lot easier.

UConn is an independent...they have a lot for freedom...so start doing things outside the box to build interest in the program.

Reaction Score
The hardcore fans need love too. It's not just about the casual fan. I would hate to think they take hard core fans for granted and don't think or act creatively because it won't interest the casual fan.

As I have said...I like Edsall...but his Achilles heel has been evolving. I do like @hardcorehusky idea with phone replays. But that's only good for those in attendance. Releasing a two deep or streaming a scrimmage would have been a lot easier.

UConn is an independent...they have a lot for freedom...so start doing things outside the box to build interest in the program.

Always room for improvement but their social media engagement as a staff has been light years ahead of where they’ve been in the past...

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Always room for improvement but their social media engagement as a staff has been light years ahead of where they’ve been in the past...
That's fine. I would think every school has gotten better with social media. They aren't better. They are fine.

I'm saying be different... Be aggressive. UConn is in a unique position...see it as an opportunity to stand out.

Reaction Score
The hardcore fans need love too.

Hardcore fans can put together their own two deep and it probably wouldn't be very far off from the actual two deep.

QB: is an "or" at this point Krajewski or Zergiotis. I'll believe Leon when I see it but not out of the question.
RB: This is easy, expect Mensah and Carter to both get significant burn
WR: Ross, Jeffreys, Drayton are the probable starters backed up by Hairston, Maurisseau and anybody's guess
OL: Left to right RVD, Fortin, Walker, Haynes and Lundt. I'll call Neidrowski the first sub but he may also be a starter.
TE: Rose (assuming he can play) and Medlock.
DE: T Jones, Uguak, Watts, Moore, Gourdine, McCarthy, DeVaughn, Harris, K jones will all play. A quality D line rotation for a change
LB Fortt, Morgan, Mitchell, Swenson are the top four. High hopes for Fogle and Brown.
Safety: I'll go with Ferrell and Harrell as the starters. Anybody know who else is playing safety?
Corners: I have no idea who the top 4 are. Lucien, Bell and....?

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think UConn has something going for it that won't fully depend on winning at first. People just want to get out and do something again. Someone has posted in the season ticket thread how they had no trouble getting people to go on with them on tickets, I believe. I think we'll see more people get in on this at the start of the season. People want to get out and do things like tailgate and attend live events. A football game with limited capacity may not be something everyone is ready for yet, but there are plenty who are. If UConn can market this correctly, I think you can see a successful return of more fans.

This will then require UConn to string some wins together to keep interest. Hopefully this can happen this season.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Waffling.

Never good for building comraderie between QB and receivers and being decisive.
I agree with this. The constant carousal at QB each season is a disaster for any gelling on offense. You don't give a QB the opportunity to be successful or grow if you don't allow them to have growing pains while cementing timing and familiarity during actual game play.

Reaction Score
Shakey hit the nail on the head - “Be Aggressive”

Yes, only hardcore fans care about UCONN Football. The program is on deaths doorstep. How do you try to change that with the limited resources we have?

“Be Aggressive”

Here is a tough pill to swallow - UCONN Football is the worst program in FBS. Look at that statement a couple of times, get angry and accept that is true right now.

Then ask - how do we get out of it? Okay, we have a few things going against the team - limited assistant coach salary pool, no conference, 1930s style offense and coach whose media interviews share no information and bland.

Okay, besides that how was the play Mrs. Lincoln? What can we change? Can’t changes athletic department monetary support, can’t change independent status, can’t change coach (see monetary reference), which means we can’t change turn of the 20th century offense.

But. . . We can be aggressive! Open up practices. Tell HCRE to give frank detailed updates. Media Blitz using social media as the focal point. Reach out to students!

People aren’t going to come to any games if they know nothing about the team (other than the handful of hardcore fans)

Coaching will sort itself out after this season - start with the transparency now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom