UConn Spring Football 2021 begins... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Spring Football 2021 begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, tell me what your eyes told you when you watched practice since September. I wasn't allowed in, were you? So, to make a statement based on November 2018 and not seeing the d line and ends for over a year, that makes you a realist?

A realist sees and calls it for what it is. What you are is not a huskysupporter, but a stirrer.

Nice discussing the roster with you. We should probably just not say anything until the season. I made a mistake sharing my thoughts on the defense. Let’s all agree to agree on everything.

I apologize. The Defense will be markedly better based off the year of practicing and reshaping their bodies and gaining strength. The pass rush will be fierce.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Nice discussing the roster with you. We should probably just not say anything until the season. I made a mistake sharing my thoughts on the defense. Let’s all agree to agree on everything.

I apologize. The Defense will be markedly better based off the year of practicing and reshaping their bodies and gaining strength. The pass rush will be fierce.
I am more than willing to talk schemes and personnel- but I just don't tolerate bashing for the sake of bashing.

Reaction Score
It now seems that a guy who’s never taken a snap in four years is now the front runner? Randy sounds like a broken record. He even said it’s not about throwing and running it’s about the “it factor.” Well. how did that work out in 2019 for the team? I wish he would quit looking at personality, having a beer, buying ice cream, swag and whatever else he thinks. He needs to put the best player at EVERY position!
HCRE2.0 is looking for a QB in the mold of the ol' time 1970's Fruit backup QB who could manage the game but wasn't good enough player to actually play much.

Here are Randy's college stats per sports-reference.com:

Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
1978SyracuseIndQB11010.000.0-45.001-200.0
CareerSyracuse010.000.0-45.001-200.0

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Maybe but it's also simply the truth that this is the year to realistically expect significant improvement based on where we were when he came here and his approach of going young and not relying on transfers (people can disagree with that decision if they want, but once it was decided to build the roster that way and play so many young guys it was apparent that it was going to be a long time before we got better)

The defenders have said that he needs time to have a few recruiting classes and to get his players to become upperclassmen and that's finally where we are. As terrible as the team has been under Edsall 2.0 so far ive defended him and said he needs more time but if the team doesn't show a lot of growth this year its time to move on.
How is this different than what I said?

Reaction Score
HCRE2.0 is looking for a QB in the mold of the ol' time 1970's Fruit backup QB who could manage the game but wasn't good enough player to actually play much.

Passing
Put down the pipe

Reaction Score
This is the first time that I’m seeing anything positive from HCRE. I don’t think this is a smoke screen, I think he believes he has some players. Although I’m leaving the Kool Aid in the fridge, I’m hopeful this team can be competitive.

Reaction Score

Passing
...or he is looking for a type of guy that is capable of being in the top 5 in program history in passing yards and touchdowns, one who is capable of throwing for 400 yards in a game, despite playing three seasons. Maybe someone who is respected for a great work ethic. Maybe someone who's Qb coach said,
"Bigger than guys we’ve had in the past. Big kid, arm talent is ridiculous. He can really throw the ball. He can make any throw on the field. And he’s also very smart. He was in a very, very good offense at N.C. State for two years, and he knows football. Maybe a more talented version of Bryant Sherriffs?

Reaction Score
yes I am a BC grad and I am bummed that my sports stink. That is why I have been here since the beginning of the D 1 journey. I am a realist and I understand those that are super optimistic, I do. I just write what I see, our views are subjective, it’s a message board.

If you want just optimism scroll past my comments, if you want to discuss my comments then I’d love to discuss. Some posters bring awesome insight and i love talking the X’s and O’s and the Jimmies and Joes of football especially all things O Line.

I apologize if my views can sometimes be direct but I refuse to sugar coat the situation we are in.
Honestly, I took nothing you said as pessimistic. Do I agree with your analysis? No, but I think it's pretty fair opinion. Nothing about it screams "I hate UConn"

Reaction Score
Honestly, I took nothing you said as pessimistic. Do I agree with your analysis? No, but I think it's pretty fair opinion. Nothing about it screams "I hate UConn"
Thanks - I just try to give honest opinions based off what I have seen and what is in front of me. People disagree all the time though, no worries! Looking forward to discussing the team when they are on the field.

Reaction Score
just noticed Abiola Olaniyan is no longer in our DB room... and Jaylen Jones switched to #18 (from #36)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's tiny, but an underrated part of college football are the players with non-traditional numbers.

I love to see linebackers in the 30s (Lutrus, Pearcy Price was #22 in '98, IIRC. That was fun), a non-QB/K/P with a single digit (except for #1. Not a big fan of #1), a DB in the teens, or a DL with #11. I don't know why (Don't really care why), but I will automatically root for that player.

I will say though that I like my TEs in the 80s. Again. I don't know why.

Reaction Score
just noticed Abiola Olaniyan is no longer in our DB room... and Jaylen Jones switched to #18 (from #36)
Looks like 2 others are gone from the 2020 roster.... former Juco OL who joined in 2019, Andrew Torres-Silva and a
2020 recruit, OL Remon Young

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Man - I wish there were more conversation around the depth at OL and LB. I am concerned about the depth at OL and thought we were light at LB to start with without the Ganyi Achilles.
With all the depth at WR and RB, we don't need no stinkin' OL, we'll just run over and around the tacklers.
LB? We don't need them either with all the points the WR's and RB's will be putting on the board...............hopefully. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think it’s very telling he put him on that list while not listing another quarterback. Little doubt to me that , unless he totally falls flat in spring, Leon is the opening game starter.
My impression is Jack Zergiotis is too erratic and Steven Krajewski tries to be too perfect. I'd like to see him just let it go and not worry about making a mistake. He throws a great pass, has touch for long and short passes and is accurate.

Reaction Score
I have always been a proponent of moving speed up. Move a strong safety who can tackle and is fast to OLB, move a quick linebacker to D End. Anything to increase speed on the field. Watts is the interesting name to me, a little raw but many people were raving about his abilities coming out of high school.
That's the SEC formula for success.............speed. Except they get quick guys at all positions and the desired size for each position, especially D-line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom