UConn Spring Football 2021 begins... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Spring Football 2021 begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Man - I wish there were more conversation around the depth at OL and LB. I am concerned about the depth at OL and thought we were light at LB to start with without the Ganyi Achilles.
I worry more about the secondary than the linebacker position.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Here’s the companion piece w/ Ryan and Travis’ media availability (poor RVD w/ the inadvertent F Bomb - kid after my own heart).

Jalon Farrell and Ian Swenson getting high praise from their teammates for their off season physical development. Travis Jones mentioned he is at 330 lbs and wants to get down to 325. RVD mentioned that Travis is in great shape and "putting up massive numbers in weight room".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Looks like Travis Jones has the potential to be absolutely dominant this year on the line. If the DL can get consistent push and pressure on the QB, that is going to greatly improve our defense this year.

I like that there is a lot of positivity surrounding the team heading into spring camp.

Reaction Score
Liked hearing about Rayonte Brown. He always looked very athletic to me but at 260lbs, he wasn't going to play. Imagine him at 300+ ? Maybe not this year but next.

Reaction Score
We can all have our opinions of the chemistry of this years team and it’s ability to compete and win. More important is the opinion of the players on their chances for success—and while it’s predictably positive, it’s also sober and mature.

Entering the spring, who does Edsall view as leaders?

Here’s the list he presented:
“[OL] Ryan Van Demark, [QB] Micah Leon, [TE] Jay Rose, [WR] Cam Ross, [CB] Jeremy Lucien, [CB]Myles Bell, [LB] Omar Fortt, [LB] Ian Swenson, [LB] Jackson Mitchell, [DL] Travis Jones, [DL] Lwal Uguak, [LS] Brian Keating,” he said. “There are also other guys just because of the way that they work, that guys will listen to.”

Reaction Score
Looks like Travis Jones has the potential to be absolutely dominant this year on the line. If the DL can get consistent push and pressure on the QB, that is going to greatly improve our defense this year.

I like that there is a lot of positivity surrounding the team heading into spring camp.
I look at the roster and can’t see anywhere we will get a pass rush from. Not on any level.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
We can all have our opinions of the chemistry of this years team and it’s ability to compete and win. More important is the opinion of the players on their chances for success—and while it’s predictably positive, it’s also sober and mature.

Entering the spring, who does Edsall view as leaders?

Here’s the list he presented:
“[OL] Ryan Van Demark, [QB] Micah Leon, [TE] Jay Rose, [WR] Cam Ross, [CB] Jeremy Lucien, [CB]Myles Bell, [LB] Omar Fortt, [LB] Ian Swenson, [LB] Jackson Mitchell, [DL] Travis Jones, [DL] Lwal Uguak, [LS] Brian Keating,” he said. “There are also other guys just because of the way that they work, that guys will listen to.”
Looking at that list....it appears Edsall is still a big fan of Leon. He said n 2019 Leon would have been the starter if he didn't get injured. And now Leon is the only QB listed as a leader.

You have to think he is the front runner at this point to be the starter.

Reaction Score
I look at the roster and can’t see anywhere we will get a pass rush from. Not on any level.

You're too pessimistic. There is a bunch of talented D linemen on the roster, now two years older. I expect it will be the best position group on the team. Uguak is an outside talent and Collin Mccarthy was new jersey defensive player of the year in 2019, I think Schiano tried to steal him late.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're too pessimistic. There is a bunch of talented D linemen on the roster, now two years older. I expect it will be the best position group on the team. Uguak is an outside talent and Collin Mccarthy was new jersey defensive player of the year in 2019, I think Schiano tried to steal him late.
I think Travis Jones will be an NFL draft pick. Doesn’t mean we have a pass rush. Jones is going to command constant double teams on running downs which will free up linebackers to clean up (one reason I am very bullish on Jackson Mitchell I think he will be one of the tackle leaders in the nation). Uguak does a solid job for the most part holding the point in the run game.

All of that does zero for the pass rush. This team does not have an even average pass rush. We haven’t schemed a way to get to the passer and the rushers have not shown they can win one on one battles while pass rushing.

And when you don’t have a pass rush, even Deion Sanders can’t cover a WR for 7 seconds. And we don’t have Deion Sander back there.

Reaction Score
Looking at that list....it appears Edsall is still a big fan of Leon. He said n 2019 Leon would have been the starter if he didn't get injured. And now Leon is the only QB listed as a leader.

I think it’s very telling he put him on that list while not listing another quarterback. Little doubt to me that , unless he totally falls flat in spring, Leon is the opening game starter.

Reaction Score
Mets fan Husky supporter is the exact opposite of a Uconn Supporter. My guess he is a bitter BC GRad that is bummed his BC teams are such losers.

Reaction Score
He is expecting more from Kevon Jones. Watts quietly had a decent year as a backup. Pierce DeVaughn was mentioned earlier as someone who has gotten bigger
Plus the newer guys as metsfan mentioned. Curious what they will do with Swenson. He had 40 tackles as a db then a lb in '18 and '19. Versatile player. Of all the guys transfering these last years, the one I thought was a difference maker is Beavers. Would have been a nice rush de at 6' 3" 240+.

Reaction Score
Mets fan Husky supporter is the exact opposite of a Uconn Supporter. My guess he is a bitter BC GRad that is bummed his BC teams are such losers.

yes I am a BC grad and I am bummed that my sports stink. That is why I have been here since the beginning of the D 1 journey. I am a realist and I understand those that are super optimistic, I do. I just write what I see, our views are subjective, it’s a message board.

If you want just optimism scroll past my comments, if you want to discuss my comments then I’d love to discuss. Some posters bring awesome insight and i love talking the X’s and O’s and the Jimmies and Joes of football especially all things O Line.

I apologize if my views can sometimes be direct but I refuse to sugar coat the situation we are in.

Reaction Score
He is expecting more from Kevon Jones. Watts quietly had a decent year as a backup. Pierce DeVaughn was mentioned earlier as someone who has gotten bigger
Plus the newer guys as metsfan mentioned. Curious what they will do with Swenson. He had 40 tackles as a db then a lb in '18 and '19. Versatile player. Of all the guys transfering these last years, the one I thought was a difference maker is Beavers. Would have been a nice rush de at 6' 3" 240+.

I have always been a proponent of moving speed up. Move a strong safety who can tackle and is fast to OLB, move a quick linebacker to D End. Anything to increase speed on the field. Watts is the interesting name to me, a little raw but many people were raving about his abilities coming out of high school.

Reaction Score
I think it shows that Edsall understands where the fans are. He knows how bad it's been and by year 5 he and the team have to deliver.

I just hope he remembers this statement when they start having injuries. Cause we all know this will happen and the team depth will be tested.

I am sure this board will be there to jog his memory ;)

Maybe but it's also simply the truth that this is the year to realistically expect significant improvement based on where we were when he came here and his approach of going young and not relying on transfers (people can disagree with that decision if they want, but once it was decided to build the roster that way and play so many young guys it was apparent that it was going to be a long time before we got better)

The defenders have said that he needs time to have a few recruiting classes and to get his players to become upperclassmen and that's finally where we are. As terrible as the team has been under Edsall 2.0 so far ive defended him and said he needs more time but if the team doesn't show a lot of growth this year its time to move on.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
yes I am a BC grad and I am bummed that my sports stink. That is why I have been here since the beginning of the D 1 journey. I am a realist and I understand those that are super optimistic, I do. I just write what I see, our views are subjective, it’s a message board.

If you want just optimism scroll past my comments, if you want to discuss my comments then I’d love to discuss. Some posters bring awesome insight and i love talking the X’s and O’s and the Jimmies and Joes of football especially all things O Line.

I apologize if my views can sometimes be direct but I refuse to sugar coat the situation we are in.
So, tell me what your eyes told you when you watched practice since September. I wasn't allowed in, were you? So, to make a statement based on November 2018 and not seeing the d line and ends for over a year, that makes you a realist?

A realist sees and calls it for what it is. What you are is not a huskysupporter, but a stirrer.

Reaction Score

It now seems that a guy who’s never taken a snap in four years is now the front runner? Randy sounds like a broken record. He even said it’s not about throwing and running it’s about the “it factor.” Well. how did that work out in 2019 for the team? I wish he would quit looking at personality, having a beer, buying ice cream, swag and whatever else he thinks. He needs to put the best player at EVERY position!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom