UConn-South Carolina postgame thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn-South Carolina postgame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow, I was really impressed with the team today. I thought it would be a beating.
I don’t understand how the refs can cheat a home team like that but oh well, the team continued to play through all obstacles.
Ice bath and rest ladies, it’s needed.
Lastly, Aaliyah and Lou better be on the Wall next year.

Reaction Score
Cardoso sorry if spelled wrong, killed us
We had no answer for the high / low with Cardoso underneath. SC often had three-point blank shots with every miss. We needed one or two more starter quality players for the bench to provide 10 points and we would have won this game. Zero bench points said it all.

Geno set-up a good game plan with the pack-in zone look but SC make three three pointer later in the game to provide spread. These shots were not contested. We had no three point shooting today but will when the season ending games begin.

Reaction Score
Few thoughts...
  • Great effort by the team
  • Lack of outside shooting hurt today (Azzi addresses that)
  • Wish Geno got the T earlier where it could impact the game more and when SC had the ball (not us)
  • We need to have a better answer to the Boston-Cardoso combo
  • AE in foul trouble might have been the difference
  • Boston really gets preferential treatment with her shoulder on offense
  • Incredible how much Lou is being grabbed and held
  • If we play them again, we won't have more depth up front and need be better with front court fouls
  • Can't be disappointed with this one
  • I don't see us dropping in the polls (hopefully) and if we win out, should be a 1 seed
I counted at least 3 but it was probably 4 or 5 times that it should have been a foul on her and no basket. Also on put backs especially multiple on same play she walks. None of them called. She got at least 10 points (probably more) that should not have counted. It is a shame that the officials protect her like that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So my postgame thread got wiped out by technical issues. Here it is again.

Some thoughts on the SC game:
  • I can’t imagine a better start to the game for UConn. Great team defense, led by Aubrey clamping down on Cooke, Dorka battling with Boston and Ayanna playing tough in the paint. Nika, Aaliyah and Lou, with a thrilling buzzer beater, lead the scoring, pushing UConn to an 11 pt lead after the 1st qtr.
  • In the 2nd qtr, Dawn went to her JUMBO LINEUP with Boston, Amihere & Cardoso all on the floor at the same time, forcing the ball inside again and again, while playing their PHONE BOOTH offense. It’s not particularly sophisticated basketball, but it’s effective when you go 6’4”, 6’4” & 6’7” up front.
  • We will never know if Geno’s T ultimately cost the Huskies the game. I know he was upset about the continuous bumping his players were dealing with, but he just can’t get T’d up in a close game. That cost UConn 4-6 pts. :oops:
  • I suspect many Husky fans were afraid of getting blown out today. That didn’t happen. UConn lost a war of attrition against the deepest team in WBB. As you would expect, the Huskies played hard to the very end.
  • Great to see Lou & Aaliyah bounce back BIG today. Aaliyah absolutely deserves 1st Team AA Honors
  • Aubrey is off-the-charts athletic when she attacks the basket!!!
  • To Geno’s credit, he has not overstated the importance of this game, pointing out that, win or lose, there’s an important conference matchup at Marquette on Wednesday. The Huskies need to put this game behind them, get as healthy as possible, run the table on the rest of the BE schedule and secure a #1 seed in the Big Dance.
  • It’s difficult to watch UConn play SC without dwelling on the 4 injured Huskies (Paige, Ice, Azzi & Caroline) unable to play today, just as it was difficult to watch last season’s championship game without dwelling on the Huskies who were out (Dorka & Aubrey), playing injured (Liv & Evina) or under the weather (Azzi). Wouldn’t it be great for the Huskies to face the Gamecocks with everyone healthy? :(
  • I AM INCREDIBLY PROUD OF THE EFFORT OF OUR UNDERMANNED HUSKIES TODAY!!!

Reaction Score
who was supposed to sub in?
When you are playing the foul game and South Carolina uses a timeout, why not sub Ines for Lou to give a foul? I’m only talking pure offense defense substitutions to ensure your only shooter is available to take a 3 in crunch time.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Not that it made a difference but how do three officials miss a handoff? A pretty good showing for being thoroughly being beaten on the boards

Maybe it would have. They didn’t give SC the 5 count. Then the SC player grabs the ball from the inbounder (!) and then the SC player calls a TO (Which was ignored). That was an insane sequence.

Reaction Score
This game should be a big step up towards Edward's AA chances.

UConn was off on threes', which I considered necessary to win- but the Huskies almost won without them.

A continued improvement in Patterson: and Caroline and possibly, hopefully, Azzi, added to the roster UConn looks really good for March.

Reaction Score
A very exciting game!

UConn fought hard for four quarters. Despite the short bench, the team maintained high energy for 40 minutes.
Aaliyah played a great game and scored down low despite the SCar bigs. She got into foul trouble through close calls. Lou was defended very closely and fought hard to get her points. Aubrey played extremely well and used her athleticism to get to the basket. Nika played tough on defense and also scored for the team. Dorka had a strong game.

Overall, we defended well. As expected, we had trouble down low on account of SCar height. They got several put backs that allowed them to get back in the game and pull ahead. Boston and Cardoso played well for Scar.

We did well to contain turn overs. However, the two 5 second inbound turn overs were puzzling. Their inbound handoff missed call and the subsequent Nika foul also hurt us. We were close this time! With a deeper bench we will get more shooting and less pressure from being in foul trouble.

I look forward to the whole team being healthy so we can have an exciting rest of the season. Lots Of good basketball ahead!

Reaction Score
So many good things about this game..... the team learned (or maybe just reinforced) that they can play with anyone, even shorthanded and in foul trouble. Aubrey continues to grow, being more and more aggressive going to the hoop. Likewise for Nika, these last few games she has been driving hard and making layups, and now has done it against a tall, physical, intimidating team. Aaliyah was great, and burnished her All America credentials with this performance against a great team. Lou is a fighter -- I hope there is some solution to keeping her from getting mugged all game -- this is at least 3 games in a row. This wasn't Dorka's best game, but she battled hard against a very physical (and deep) front court and led us in rebounds (and stayed out of foul trouble).
Geno's T was ill-timed... the announcers weren't sure what he was angry about, but I think it was Lou being held before we could even inbound the ball.
Now if we can just get Azzi and Caroline back at some point, and avoid any more injuries, we will be a VERY dangerous team come March.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This game should be a big step up towards Edward's AA chances.

UConn was off on threes', which I considered necessary to win- but the Huskies almost won without them.

A continued improvement in Patterson: and Caroline and possibly, hopefully, Azzi, added to the roster UConn looks really good for March.
I was really impressed with how well Ayanna boxed out Boston and she was quick to loose balls. A terrific game from her today

Reaction Score
Sorry, technical mishap on the other thread
Yes that was not a good technical. But considering all the missed calls. A terrible called game. But I said that SC would get exposed. And thay did. They could never shake uconn. And come March, uconn will deliver the knock out. We will have Azzi, Caroline. Just like Maryland, who barley beet the bench. So this will prove that uconn is no wounded team. No push over team
So out of this uconn came out on top. And so freaking proud of them. But I feel sorry for all the teams that come up against them. Coffidence, spirit, so Great job Huskies. Have a great evening. You so deserve it. They will put SC in thier place. Again so freaking proud. And alot more great moments coming up. Go Huskies.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
We got Paige, Azzi, Caroline, and Isuneh on the bench and lost to South Carolina by 4. By 4. That's pretty dam good. I hope we can learn from this game. They guarded Lou really well today. Aalyah just put herself top 3 for AP player of the year. Overall, a lot to learn from this game and it really showed the Huskies grit and heart.. If Uconn goes to the championship game vs South Carolina this year, Uconn will win by 15 points.
They did not guard Lou really well, they beat her up, slapping, grabbing and pushing.

Reaction Score
So many good things about this game..... the team learned (or maybe just reinforced) that they can play with anyone, even shorthanded and in foul trouble. Aubrey continues to grow, being more and more aggressive going to the hoop. Likewise for Nika, these last few games she has been driving hard and making layups, and now has done it against a tall, physical, intimidating team. Aaliyah was great, and burnished her All America credentials with this performance against a great team. Lou is a fighter -- I hope there is some solution to keeping her from getting mugged all game -- this is at least 3 games in a row. This wasn't Dorka's best game, but she battled hard against a very physical (and deep) front court and led us in rebounds (and stayed out of foul trouble).
Geno's T was ill-timed... the announcers weren't sure what he was angry about, but I think it was Lou being held before we could even inbound the ball.
Now if we can just get Azzi and Caroline back at some point, and avoid any more injuries, we will be a VERY dangerous team come March.
Agree 100%

Reaction Score
SC starts 5 seniors.next year will be a challenge for them.hopefully Uconn will be at full strenght and you will see a totaly different outcome.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If I was Dawn Staley, I would probably do the same thing with my Bigs. But it's hard to watch 3 BIGs crowding around the offensive boards playing volleyball with rebounds. That's not basketball. UConn outshot SC by 52% to 39% but lost the rebounding battle by -12.

Reaction Score
Can I just point out that UConn only had 13 turnovers?! That’s tremendous for this year’s team! Despite the pressure by SC, UConn shot over 50% and only had 13 turnovers. Outstanding! There’s still time to work on rebounding position and other details, but it’s good to know the #1 team in the country couldn’t hold UConn below 50% shooting or cause 20+ turnovers.

Reaction Score
Unbelievable fight in this team. Home court was big advantage. Hate to be a downer, but it will be tough sledding with 5 players. And that may be what we have the rest of the way. Last 2 years they have played with grit & pride - can’t ask for anything more.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Yep...these Huskies are the real deal... They just played the number one team in the country to a 4 point loss. Is there anyone in the country who has seen the replay that doesn't agree that the ball was handed off on the late game out of bounds play. It should have been a dead ball and a turnover...no 2 points for So. Car. I won't even get into the unnecessary technical that Geno took. With Azzi and Caroline...this would be a "W" for UConn.

This team just proved that they deserve a number one seed. Aubrey and Aaliyah have a very fast first step but, Aubrey adds to the first quick step...accelerating speed and athleticism...she is a one of a kind player. Aaliyah proved that she is an All American in this game...if she isn't added to the All American team I would be shocked...she may even be a 1st team AA. Lopez-Senechal...should go first round in the WNBA draft and she should be considered for 2nd or 3rd team AA. Muhl...while her assists were down she contributed offensively as well as defensively. Dorka played solid...she was great on defense getting 2 blocked shots and grabbing 7 rebounds.

I think this was a case of the team getting worn down...not being able to take a blow and having to play 30 plus minutes at an incredibly intense level. As far as South Carolina is concerned: Dawn...played 9 players; Cardoso had a break-out game; Boston woke up in the second half; Raven Johnson probably became Dawn's starting point guard; 25 offensive rebounds and 26 points from the foul line...by So. Car. really hurt.

Here is an interesting set of stats from this game UConn shot 51.9 from the field, 33.3 from three point and 76 from the line...beating So Car. in all three of these metrics (38.8 from the field, 20 from three point and 72.2 from the FT line) yet UConn still lost. I guess going 26 for 36 from the line to UConn's 19 for 25 didn't hurt So. Carolina at all.

All in all, even if I add 5 points to So. Carolina's 4 point win for winning on the Huskies court, I remain comforted in the knowledge that both Azzi and Ducharme are capable of scoring 9 points. If we have both of them on the court in March, we probably win this game by 9. I am very proud of our team...they played a great game but in the end...They were just too long and too deep.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01