UConn-South Carolina postgame thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

UConn-South Carolina postgame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Game ended here in AK at about 10:15 am. It's around 2:00 pm now. I can't help it, I feel low, let down. I can't get out of this funk.
I feel great about the team. I've said this before, every player on that team is playing the best basketball of their lives. I remember Roy Hobbs in The Natural, "What else is there?
I feel like when you watch a prize fight and both fighters are basically toe to toe in the center of the ring and you know that your fighter cannot win without a knockout and they do not do anything to reverse the momentum. I do not think UConn can beat SC by packing it in. I know with a couple of breaks, like that handoff call, UConn may have at least had a last second chance.
I do not think UConn takes proper advantage of ITS strengths playing that style. Nika has an advantage 25-30 feet from the basket against any of their guards. Wouldn't you have loved seeing Nika hawk Fletcher or Johnson. Same with AG. She's long. She can get in passing lanes. We could have turned them over. AE has great instincts and anticipation denying the wings.
Come on, it's hard to shoot in a slugfest. People are on you. You gotta establish separation. You do that by making the game more wide open. At least beyond the 3-point line. Then, Geno, maybe you get 10 3's.
I guess it's fatigue, fatigue, fatigue. Anyone worried about Nika's energy? How about AG's? Do you think Dorka would like not having 3 6'5 players pressing against her every possession?
Pick'em up when they cross half court, dig in, hawk the ball, make them pick up their dribble, deny the next pass, get in passing lanes, lay for steals, bigs get in front of their bigs, if it goes over your head, helpside slides over. Their posts have to come out higher to get the ball against such a D. It's simple geometry.
Geno, you don't have those people anymore. Asia Jones, Tina Charles. Take advantage of the strengths you do have. Nika, AG, AE beyond the 3-point line. World class. Second to none! Don't care how athletic SC is, fast, strong, tall, etc. UConn is better in those spots. You're gunna give up some layups. Better than watching 25 second chance shots inside by their bigs.
Congrats Huskies. Stanford lost. You should MOVE UP. out

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Fair enough! But he would have received the technical even if he didn't throw the bottle. LOL.....he was almost at the three point line screaming at the ref!
Well, that’s debatable. I’ve seen him out that far before, only to be wrestled back to the bench by CD and/or Jamelle without being T’d up. I tend to think the refs give HOF coaches a little more leeway.

Reaction Score
All games she got held coming off her picks and I think Geno slept on making it an issue.Had he done that earlier she would have gotten open more. Translating into a good number of higher percentage shots. May have been the game changer.
Geno has called this out for a while now. Just because he doesn’t get a “T” every game doesn’t mean he’s silent.

Reaction Score
Watching SC play it reminded me of hockey. A lot of hockey teams hit the puck into the offensive zone, then their forwards chase the puck into the zone. Kind of like SC's outside shots and then their forward crash the boards for the rebound. Even the way SC guarded our players seemed like hockey with the amount of contact.

Another thing was how their offensive plays reminded me of the way Shaq played. He was always displacing the defensive player with his body. If the defensive player tried the same thing, it would be a foul. That doesn't sit right with me, but it is part of the professional game and now it's found its way to college. Just like I think a dunk should only count for 1 point. It may be "macho", but if you're tall enough to reach the basket it is an easy shot. The reason I watch women's basketball is for the beauty of the play and this game was hard to watch. I thought UConn did a great job considering that this isn't how they prefer to play but it was still exciting watching UConn play.

Reaction Score
I wasn’t there And recorded the game because I was away. Because of all they have been through this season and how hard they played today.Hope agains hope that after the game they received a well deserved standing ovation. Don’t know but just can’t help feeling that way.

Reaction Score
Imo: If you have to rely on making 3’s to win a game, you’re in trouble! All SC has to do is to throw the ball to their trees under the basket :… much more reliable… Also, I was hoping to see our 6’5” sophomore in the game just to try to compete with their bigs, or to put some pressure on them… Or to help out in some way… Not getting into these games is a sad commentary on her ability, temperament, or whatever..Geno has to get an experienced Dorka replacement for next year..

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure we would have lost by 15 without the technical.
That's an interesting thought. The "T" might have helped as much as it hurt. Geno has to protect his players. But his players needed protecting much earlier. Getting T'ed up, say in the 3rd quarter, might have been just as inspiring and reduced the mugging of UConn players (mostly Lou) for a much longer period of time. Then again, maybe not...

The real killer was rebounds. I don't understand why UConn didn't have 5 players crashing the boards. It's not like we were getting a lot of fast breaks anyhow. Might as well have everyone go for the defensive rebound.

Reaction Score
Not only was that inbound an illegal hand off, but the SC player had signaled for a time out. And the refs missed it all and reviewed nothing. The refs were awful. As is almost always true in WBB.
Neither the missed hand-off, nor alleged missed timeout, is reviewable. Your beef should be directed to the rules committee if you want those to be reviewable. But please remember how many situations you want reviewed the next time you complain that there are too many stoppages of play to go to the monitor.

Reaction Score
Why wasn't the inbounds handoff reviewable? And where were the eyes of the ref who handed the ball to the inbounder? I don't recall seeing many more obviously blown calls than that one.

Lou was getting mugged on every cut, whether she had the ball or not. But the perimeter D was outstanding, by both teams.

Even though it gave away 4 points, I kinda liked the T. Notice how the calls started going our way in the last two minutes? I don't think it would have made a difference in the outcome, but this way, Geno can say to his team: YOU guys won the game; I lost it for you. More damaging to our cause was the inexcusable inability to inbound the ball . . . TWICE!

We played a good portion of this game with one hand tied behind our back. Whenever we subbed, it was like playing 4-against-5; and we still gave them a scare.

Free throwing should be more reliable.

SC is not a good outside shooting team. Boston might be their most reliable outside shooter. But with all their misses, they totally dominated us on the O board. Their second+ chances clearly made the difference. Sorry to say, Dorka has very soft hands, and that could end up hurting her for national honors. But she wasn't the only culprit, and holding onto rebounds has been a problem for us over the last few games.

I think most UConn fans went away feeling good about this game. More than that -- we're damn proud of this team. I'm glad it didn't go into OT, because that would have been embarrassing, with Lou and Nika gone, and AE with "one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel."

Now let's put this grueling 6-game stretch behind us (we didn't do so bad, 5 wins and 1 close loss to the #1 team in the nation), and prepare for a tough return game at Marquette on Wednesday. Thank you, Geno, for showing no intention to use CD in this game. That's still the training staff's call. I want to see her on the court when she's 100%.

Reaction Score
I liked Geno's comment at the end of his press conference. He said he saw Azzi and Paige outside and asked Paige if she was playing in March and she said "yup" and then he asked Azzi and she said "a lot sooner than that."

Reaction Score
I just saw the box score and we scored 9 points in Q2, and that is with Lou's last second 3 pointer.

Reaction Score
I liked Geno's comment at the end of his press conference. He said he saw Azzi and Paige outside and asked Paige if she was playing in March and she said "yup" and then he asked Azzi and she said "a lot sooner than that."

Wait… seriously?

Reaction Score
Why wasn't the inbounds handoff reviewable? And where were the eyes of the ref who handed the ball to the inbounder? I don't recall seeing many more obviously blown calls than that one.

Lou was getting mugged on every cut, whether she had the ball or not. But the perimeter D was outstanding, by both teams.

Even though it gave away 4 points, I kinda liked the T. Notice how the calls started going our way in the last two minutes? I don't think it would have made a difference in the outcome, but this way, Geno can say to his team: YOU guys won the game; I lost it for you. More damaging to our cause was the inexcusable inability to inbound the ball . . . TWICE!

We played a good portion of this game with one hand tied behind our back. Whenever we subbed, it was like playing 4-against-5; and we still gave them a scare.

Free throwing should be more reliable.

SC is not a good outside shooting team. Boston might be their most reliable outside shooter. But with all their misses, they totally dominated us on the O board. Their second+ chances clearly made the difference. Sorry to say, Dorka has very soft hands, and that could end up hurting her for national honors. But she wasn't the only culprit, and holding onto rebounds has been a problem for us over the last few games.

I think most UConn fans went away feeling good about this game. More than that -- we're damn proud of this team. I'm glad it didn't go into OT, because that would have been embarrassing, with Lou and Nika gone, and AE with "one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel."

Now let's put this grueling 6-game stretch behind us (we didn't do so bad, 5 wins and 1 close loss to the #1 team in the nation), and prepare for a tough return game at Marquette on Wednesday. Thank you, Geno, for showing no intention to use CD in this game. That's still the training staff's call. I want to see her on the court when she's 100%.
Good analysis. The T was important also because it stopped the defender from holding Lou. She didn't dare do it again after the focus was on her. It was a deliberate pre-game strategy by this former coach of the National team to violate the rules and hold her at every opportunity. It's not basketball. The referees of course just went along with it. How that one ref missed the handoff right in front of him is beyond all comprehension.

I don't think Dorka will be in the national conversation. She did not play well today at all. Geno has often said that to win he needs all 5 starters to play solid games. I also think that the SC players push (Boston is the biggest offender) under the rim like it is going out of style. She starts out with a forearm to the shoulder area and uses it with her power. Of course, she never fouls or charges, she is the perfect player and gets every call. Sickening.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Dorka and Aubrey needed to recognize that they were the ones who had to take the fouls. Lou, Nika and Aaliyah needed to stand back and let them.
This related to subbing how? :confused:

Reaction Score
The trend in the women's game will continue to be more bigger, faster, physical players. I agree with others that it's not as beautiful and fun to watch. But, it's up to Geno to recruit these types of players. It still feels like the players at UConn including the upcoming classes are still finesse players. We need some bangers as well.

Reaction Score
Random thoughts...
  • Great effort by the team
  • Lack of outside shooting hurt today (Azzi addresses that)
  • Wish Geno got the T earlier where it could impact the game more and when SC had the ball (not us)
  • We need to have a better answer to the Boston-Cardoso combo
  • AE in foul trouble might have been the difference
  • Boston really gets preferential treatment with her shoulder on offense
  • Incredible how much Lou is being grabbed and held
  • If we play them again, we won't have more depth up front and need be better with front court fouls
  • Can't be disappointed with this one
  • I don't see us dropping in the polls (hopefully) and if we win out, should be a 1 seed
  • Can't believe the refs missed the inbounds handoff !!!
  • We lost to the undefeated #1 team with an All-American (well, really 2) on the bench
Great post! I remain totally befuddled at how both Boston and Clark get away with offensive fouls almost anytime they go to the basket. It’s like the NBA star treatment. The holding on defense has to be addressed by the NCAA in the off season; point of emphasis time. The hand off is one of the most flagrant no calls I’ve ever seen in a basketball game at any level, men or women. Nevertheless, the game bodes well for the post season. (Is Paige secretly trying to get back for March?! What a shock that would be)

Reaction Score
I just saw the box score and we scored 9 points in Q2, and that is with Lou's last second 3 pointer.
Were you equally shocked with the 25 in the first quarter? That’s basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom