UConn-South Carolina postgame thread | The Boneyard

UConn-South Carolina postgame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Random thoughts...
  • Great effort by the team
  • Lack of outside shooting hurt today (Azzi addresses that)
  • Wish Geno got the T earlier where it could impact the game more and when SC had the ball (not us)
  • We need to have a better answer to the Boston-Cardoso combo
  • AE in foul trouble might have been the difference
  • Boston really gets preferential treatment with her shoulder on offense
  • Incredible how much Lou is being grabbed and held
  • If we play them again, we won't have more depth up front and need be better with front court fouls
  • Can't be disappointed with this one
  • I don't see us dropping in the polls (hopefully) and if we win out, should be a 1 seed
  • Can't believe the refs missed the inbounds handoff !!!
  • We lost to the undefeated #1 team with an All-American (well, really 2) on the bench

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Couldn't be more proud of this team. Practically a NC contending team injured on the bench, the "next man up" rolled out with what we had, and battled like gladiators. Shout out to the fans too. Heck of an atmosphere!!

No analysis - just incredibly proud. The rest of WCBB take notice - this team will look very different come March!

Reaction Score
OMG, this was a fantastic game. It was as Nika predicted -- they went in believing they could run with SC, and they totally proved it!!!

Aaliyah, Aubrey, Lou, Dorka, and NIKA -- all heroes in my book. They totally proved they can win an NC today!!!

Also, Dawn didn't play the whole bench -- no Feagins no Watkins. She clearly felt the pressure of playing our top 5.

And talk about D -- they shot 39% and we shot 52%, thank you very much.

Reaction Score
GREAT GREAT effort from our girls. Very proud of them. A few different decisions or outcomes and we could have won. Lou and Dorka’s 3 point shots were off. Maybe if they were on from there, we win. Also could have been better from the free throw line. Hopefully we see them again for the title with Caroline and Azzi. I like our chances then.

Reaction Score
Great effort by the players. They had a chance which is admirable given our injury history. Area to improve is definitely the rebounding department.

Weak in game performance by Geno in my opinion. Untimely technical that got us into a hole. No offense defense substitutions in crunch time.

Moral victory? South Carolina isn’t as big of a Goliath as their reputation made them seem. Get healthy and we have a great shot against them.

Reaction Score
Exhilarating start (and finish) by the Huskies. And although there are no moral-only victories in UConn women’s basketball, you have to just love that they played really hard the entire game and never got discouraged. If the Gamecocks hadn’t dominated the o-boards again, the outcome might have been different.

Tough afternoon for a couple of our upperclassmen, though. Games like this aren’t going to come around that many more times, and the last thing you want to do is play soft or get into early foul trouble.

But beyond the great fight showed throughout, my biggest take-away is that we just need Azzi Fudd back to further spread the floor and create and make threes. Otherwise, it will likely be a heavy lift at the big dance this year.

Reaction Score
I continue to be amazed by Aubrey Griffin's abilities....Lou and Aaliyah were great. SC put Boston on Dorka to keep her from being a scoring threat, which worked. Nika did everything she could to keep us in the game...a really hard fought one. Ayanna is showing great maturity for a freshman. All in all, without Geno's Technical, this game could have gone either way.

Reaction Score
What a great game, I'm so proud of this team. The non-call by the refs on that SC inbound was terrible and with how close UConn got this at the end, that could have made a difference.

I honestly don't know how I feel about that Geno T. Who knows what would have happened without it, but I'm so proud of what this team was able to do today.

A great game to have to prepare the team for March and the best they've played against SC over the past two seasons.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
This is the best I've felt after a loss. Using basically 5 players we were in the game the whole way. I was thinking we couldn't get within 10. So proud of the team! We had no points from our bench and they had 37. I'd say we sure had the best starting 5 today. Too bad it's a long game.

Reaction Score
I can’t say enough about this team. Full stop.

What a privilege to watch AE this year.

Also—there are lots of ‘what if’s.” Remember that what if’s can go both ways. What if Dorka didn’t stay another year? What if Lou didn’t transfer in?

Reaction Score
Great team effort. Unfortunately the officials showed up to the game. Boston lowers her shoulder and bullies her way to the basket almost every time. Lou was held on every possession...no call. Too bad. Our team deserved better.

Reaction Score
Love this team, the heart they are showing is amazing. just gotta get healthy.

Geno’s technical (really really bad time to get one) and the missed “handoff” (the ref is legit right there how does he not see it) really stung us in the end.

Reaction Score
I enoyed this game up to a point. But it is difficult to play amongst trees. I give a lot of credit to the 5/6 young women who gave it their all and were pretty tired along the way.

Ok... time to move along and win the rest of them up to the Tournament. It is highly conceivable that this could end up in the final four championship game again against SC.

Reaction Score
We got Paige, Azzi, Caroline, and Isuneh on the bench and lost to South Carolina by 4. By 4. That's pretty dam good. I hope we can learn from this game. They guarded Lou really well today. Aalyah just put herself top 3 for AP player of the year. Overall, a lot to learn from this game and it really showed the Huskies grit and heart.. If Uconn goes to the championship game vs South Carolina this year, Uconn will win by 15 points.

Reaction Score
Very proud of this team. They had a shot at winning this.

Refs stunk. Both ways to be honest. UConn got some calls their way also. The inbound travesty hurt bad though. Terrible miss by the Zebras.

Rebounds and second chance points is what it’s all about against SC. Lost rebounds by 12 which is better than I anticipated. No reason anyone from
big East should out-rebound us.

On to Marquette!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member