UConn-South Carolina postgame thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UConn-South Carolina postgame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
one thing I haven’t seen mentioned is for all South Carolinas vaunted depth they only played 8 players more than 4 minutes with two players playing 39 minutes each. I like UConn players chances better in March having played the whole season with those kind of minutes than relying on players not used to it.

Reaction Score
Great point.
No confidence yet and her shot gets blocked most of the time. She will work it out - but maybe not this year.
It would be nice to get her a lot of time the next few weeks. The bench got out scored 37- 0 today and we can do better
I don't actually think we can. Zero p[oints for our bench is pretty much the norm. Unless we are playing the dregs of the big east.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't have mattered? Not a very deep comment. Last I looked UConn lost by 4 points. An awful time for a technical, and you don't let your best player get her 3rd foul.
By " it wouldn't have mattered" I mean...once UCONN got behind, the game was over. We never re-took the lead. It is amazing that it ended as closely as it did. But the score was mis-leading. SC was in total control. We never were going to lead again . And didn't.

Reaction Score
Based on todays game his time has clearly come and gone.
After that inbound play (working to USC favor) South Carolina also scored. It should have
been a turnover, no 2 points, and Huskie ball. The Radio announcers (UCONN announcers) also reported
that the "on court" South Carolina Player took the ball out to the "inbounding / off court"
players hands. another NO - NO and not called! Many miscues in this game. I would
like to see a rematch in the NCAA Championship game.
Sad part is the ref is standing right there, hard to fathom.
VERY, VERY SAD, indeed!

Reaction Score
Yes, we are going to meet and beat them in the finals as long as Geno gets the message across to the officials that when they hold our guards it is a foul.
I agree. I think our coaching today hit the rim.

Reaction Score
It does look like Ayanna has been given the no shooting mode. That seemed to hurt us some with a then turnover happening. She did put in some good defensive minutes, but we need some offensive production from the bench.

Because we played a packed in zone for much of the game the blocking out of offensive players didn't work well. This is the bane of a zone. The individual defensive player loses direct responsibility. The two towers of SC had free rein inside and hurt us repeatedly. Dawn had a perfect game plan. This will have to be a key adjustment down the road. With two more starter type players back soon, this will provide some 3 pt offensive, more fouls to give and man to man defense. With these three factors covered, will then have more productive options. The short bench really hurt in a game like this.
You actually think that the coaches have instructed her not to shoot, seriously ?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
One thought on Geno's technical - sometimes, when coaches do this, it has a demoralizing effect on the team. I didn't see anyone with a negative reaction. They just focused on next play, and during TOs, there was some great energy and understanding of what to do on next play. They were as locked in as possible.
In my opinion the tech was warranted earlier when SC had the ball so UCONN didn't lose a possession.

Reaction Score
In a 40 minute game, how many other times was Cooke not even a factor? Wasn’t that Aubrey’s defense too?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
The key was the defensive board: On many possessions, SC got enough rebounds to get off 3 or 4 shots.

Reaction Score
77 points against the #1 defense in the country and Uconn only scored by miraculous effort? No, Uconn scored 77 points because they have really good players who made really good plays. That’s what top teams do.
The offense did tend to stall at the perimeter (a combination of good defense and uncalled grabbing and bumping) and some the point producing take it to the rim efforts bordered on the miraculous in a good ! way

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Hopefully Azzi and/or Caroline come back healthy then she is coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Lou, with 6:21 left in game, if anyone sees a different angle of Lou's shake, bake, fake, leaving the SC's sports bra on the court, please post it?
Thank you. I was wondering what article of clothing the SC defenders got faked out of. There must have been several SC sports bras left on the court. Lou, Aaliyah and Aubrey all had some moves leaving their defenders in the dust. Reminded me a bit of MoJeff.

Reaction Score
47% of SC points were from the bench.

Last edited by a moderator:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Thank you. I was wondering what article of clothing the SC defenders got faked out of. There must have been several SC sports bras left on the court. Lou, Aaliyah and Aubrey all had some moves leaving their defenders in the dust. Reminded me a bit of MoJeff.
Well, my hubby said Lou faked them out of their (male undergarment) but I thought sports bra was much more accurate. ;)

Reaction Score
I noticed that Aaliyah was running back up the court as soon as the ball went up. Geno must have told her to do so. I’m sure he didn’t want the team getting bogged down in a half court game
I noticed the same thing. Also, two of our best players got into foul trouble early, including Edwards, and the last thing UCONN needed was her crashing the boards and earning an early exit because that's pretty much the way foul calls seemed to be going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom