UCONN - SJU post-game thread [merged] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UCONN - SJU post-game thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think Geno doesn't think his players should have any problem playing 38 minutes a game when they haven't played in five days and have 3 days till the next game. I also think he likes to get his "reliable" players used to what they will have to do come tournament time.

On the other hand maybe he doesn't think what I think he thinks. Whatever he is thinking about playing time, I think he's thought it through.

Reaction Score
All year ax the only ball handler has Nika been stripped? In the Texas game they played to deny Nika getting the inbounds pass, the same at NCS. Azzi also has a good handle but there were times when pressed she has gotten frazzled. Right now those 2 are the only 2 that can be trusted to dribble break a press. Maybe Aaliyah as we saw when both Azzi and Nika were out.
That's a fair question. Nika has lost the ball under pressure a few times, but not very many. It doesn't always show up as getting her pocket picked. Sometimes she dribbles off her foot, or picks up her dribble before she's ready to pass, or throws a wild pass, etc. Azzi has dribbled off her foot once or twice too. One problem with picking up the dribble prematurely is that the offense often stalls as a result. You see this a lot with Aubrey, if she gets the ball at the wrong spot on the court.

I'm just generally assessing Azzi's technique, which is rather more highly developed than Nika's, even though this isn't as relevant as looking at raw numbers -- the fact is Nika is doing quite well and the stats reflect this. But Azzi resembles what Christyn could do with the ball, and she was almost unpressable. I don't remember seeing anyone ever get the ball from Christyn. She'd put the ball behind her back, reverse spin away from folks, and so on, all without losing her dribble. Azzi does these things, too. Watch that Texas game with an eye to technique and what Azzi does with the ball at midcourt when Sonya Morris is in her face. Contrast that with what Nika did in the Iowa game with Clark or Marshall guarding her. Both Azzi and Nika did well. But I can't help noticing that Azzi just seems more in control of those encounters.

Inês's skills are not quite as developed as Azzi's, which means when pressed at midcourt, she can fend off, run past, reverse direction, but that's kind of the limit for her. This has gotten her into some tight corners. But mainly it's been okay. Both Azzi and Nika are good enough to keep their eyes up while bringing the ball up, and Inês isn't quite as good at that. She still has to focus on whoever is guarding her. But even so she could probably start for any other team in the BE by the end of the season, and be a major rotation player in most D1 schools around the country.

Reaction Score
Our first in person UCONN game. Here are my impression, no xs and os, others take care of that very well.

We saw most boxes checked;

Geno back on the sideline, Azzi in the game, solid win, low turnovers, good defense.
Lots of UCONN fans, which we noted when standing before the tip- off and until the first score.

Dorka was definitely shortchanged one assist.

One ref was a bit whistle happy.

There was a row of screaming little girl basketball players, St.Johns fans, behind us, they were kind of ear piercingly loud, but still added to the excitement.

UBS Arena is a brand new and beautiful venue, easy access,( 1.5 hour drive for us), train access from east and west. Well marked directional signs and helpful staff.

Got home a little before midnight, rare for us as we get up before 6, but went to sleep happy.
Sounds like you were in section 104 because that was what I had directly behind me as well. Good to see families with little girls instilling interest in the women’s game but mom and dad to teach them to be a little more timely with their ear Piercing screams. The kids and the parents looked like they had a good time even though St. John’s lost. If these parents take these girls to other St. John’s Big East games, they may be more competitive games with different outcomes. Wins are more fun

Reaction Score
First off, how great to see Geno back on the bench and Azzi back on the court. And welcome back Aaliyah! Much needed depth to the rotation.

1st Q was a bit ragged - nice start, then a run by SJU, then a decent finish, but the thing that threw me was i thought we ended the Q up 17-13, but at the start of Q2, the TV showed 17-11. No one explained (that i caught) why the loss of 2 points for SJU. Anyway, Q2 was really solid offensively. CD nailed it tho - she's so blunt I love it. "Not smart fouls by Aaliyah and Lou to pick up #3 for each of them". They should know better.

Got out to a nice start in Q3, but then went thru about a 6 minute bad stretch. It was very prolonged. Offense was just "ok", but the defense was unfocused and gave up 18 points. I supposed some may say it's understandable given the 21 point lead at halftime, but overall a poorly played defensive quarter with too little focus. But very solid Q4. So nice recovery and finish.

Cut way down on the TO's too this game. Not sure why such a big change - part of it was not going for the "home run" play. If a player was covered, etc. we did not "steamroll" into a bad play. Hopefully that continues. 9 total TO's

Way too much 1 on 1 play for SJU. They pass the ball around the perimeter a bit, but then when it comes time for a shot, it's all 1 on 1 play. Kind of surprising for a 13-1 team who has a win over Creighton. A very streaky team who had some nice runs but overall was no match for us.
  • Dorka - for most of the 1st half, I thought she was soft. Would get the ball and then couldn't seem to drive TO the basket. Smaller players were manhandling her. Then suddenly I look at the box score and she has 18 points, 10 boards, and 6 assists. Really strong 2nd half.
  • Aaliyah - continues her strong play. She has so much confidence - Meg said that several times. Making plays she wouldn't have last season. It's been a real treat seeing her improvement from sophomore to junior.
  • Nika played really well, yet again. A couple of great drives where no one stopped the ball. She seemed almost out of control, but somehow got to the basket. She won't win any "graceful" awards that's for sure, but what a stat line for her. 9 points, 6 assists, 2 rebounds, 3 steals.
  • Lou - having Azzi back means you CANNOT slack off either of them. Lou is something like 3rd in the nation in 3-point shooting. What a treasure she has been this season. 8-9 shooting tonight. She couldn't miss it seemed. So much confidence for her. Her draft stock is continuing to rise as the season progresses.
  • Azzi - welcome back Ms. Braids! Picked up right where she left off. Had she played more minutes, she would have scored over 20.
  • Aubrey - first game I can remember this season where not only did she have almost no stats, but she was completely invisible on the floor. Didn't see her involved in much of anything. Disappointing game for her. She did play some nice defense I think on the kid who had 8 points in Q1, but she's much better than she showed.
Was disappointed at the lack of PT for Amari and Ines. It should be pointed out that the 2 games CD coached were total blowouts, and DePaul was postponed. But watching the team lose focus at times and let SJU go on a run made me ask "why not put in the other subs?". Ines is much improved, and Amari had 2 very nice assists in H1 when UCONN got into foul trouble.

Bottom line a very very nice win. WAY more good things than bad. But you know me - try to keep it real!
Amari got some decent time, playing ( I think ) in each of the four periods. I Agee with you about INES. She is better than they think ( and don't wish to admit for some reason ). Amari did a few things well. Some good " assist" passes from the top of the key and a few blocks. Rebounds were of the nature that required just catching the ball ( no effort ). Inexcusable miss on lay-up from underneath, and she needs to strengthen her hands. If a wind blows, she will lose possession. I don't think she will ever again shoot from distance this year. And that is supposed to be a strength. She is further from being a good player than Ines is.

Reaction Score
Yes, section 104.
The dad was actually teaching them to scream just as the UConn player was taking a foul shot.
Pretty sure some dogs in the surrounding miles were responding to the almost beyond human hearing frequencies.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The decision on how much prime time PT to give Ines really comes down to the Big Dance, and whether or not she’ll be a contributor against the gauntlet of NCAA playoff teams the Huskies will face. With everyone healthy, UConn has a solid 7 player rotation. After that, Geno will try to coach up Amari or Ayanna, or both to provide depth against the towering frontlines of SC & Stanford, should UConn run into them in the Tournament.

While I love Ines’s work ethic and attitude, I just don’t see her as a viable alternative against the ball pressure she would face vs many of the top defenses in the Big Dance just yet. If that should change, I will be ecstatic.
I agree with what you said that we have a great 7 player rotation when everybody is healthy, but tell me Oldude, when was the last time that happened? (Everybody healthy)

Reaction Score
Aubrey was completely invisible?! I think you need to watch the team play defense. She held their best player scoreless for almost three quarters.
I think the posting was related to Aubrey's scoring. This game was a good example of playing a team that has speed and the ability to eliminate most of Aubrey's fast break layups, in turn reducing her scoring. More what we can expect playing against top playoff teams. It was also a good example of her contributing in other ways - defense, moving on offense/back cutting to ensure the shooters couldn't be doubled, etc. UConn was up by 25-30 at the end of the game, Aubrey didn't stand around and our motion offense worked. I'm not complaining.

Reaction Score
So I vehemently disagree with this assessment.
#1. SJU averages 343 fans for their home games this year
#2. This was the first Women’s Basketball game at the UBS Arena
#3. This arena is only 9.5 miles east of Campus so much easier for the school to make it there.
#4. I met the SJU AD and he is trying to help build thé excitement and product with this promotion effort and building a new relationship with UBS Arena
#5 Tonight’s crowd was almost 3 times the previous largest crowd SJU has played before.
#6. More SJU Boosters came tonight than have ever attended games before so frankly Kudos to SJU in this effort.
Not all programs can do what UConn can but a few are trying and making incremental steps. Laid them for it.
Looking at the crown on the TV, if the attendance was actually over 700 I would be surprised. Sad that a team that has been undefeated much of the year has so little support.

Reaction Score
As mentioned earlier, Geno has stated that unless the sub brings a certain level of skills into the game, it makes the other 4 players work harder and defeats the purpose of the substitution. Draw your own conclusions.

Reaction Score
So I vehemently disagree with this assessment.
#1. SJU averages 343 fans for their home games this year
#2. This was the first Women’s Basketball game at the UBS Arena
#3. This arena is only 9.5 miles east of Campus so much easier for the school to make it there.
#4. I met the SJU AD and he is trying to help build thé excitement and product with this promotion effort and building a new relationship with UBS Arena
#5 Tonight’s crowd was almost 3 times the previous largest crowd SJU has played before.
#6. More SJU Boosters came tonight than have ever attended games before so frankly Kudos to SJU in this effort.
Not all programs can do what UConn can but a few are trying and making incremental steps. Laid them for it.
I drove down from Connecticut and was more than impressed with the arena. I sat 10 rows up from center court. I would love St John's to play UConn @ UBS arena every year and selfishly wouldn't mind the Big East tourney to be played there.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I drove down from Connecticut and was more than impressed with the arena. I sat 10 rows up from center court. I would love St John's to play UConn @ UBS arena every year and selfishly wouldn't mind the Big East tourney to be played there.
The Big East Tourney will never be held at this arena as 4 major obsticles:
1. Not enough hotels for ease of access/location
2. Traffic is a nightmare
3. Mohegan Sun has shown a commitment to WCBB and in particular UConn so they will not be outbid for that tournament.
4. As long as UConn is in the Big East, the powers that be, know keeping this tournament in UConn's back yard means attendance and support.

Reaction Score
Yes, section 104.
The dad was actually teaching them to scream just as the UConn player was taking a foul shot.
Pretty sure some dogs in the surrounding miles were responding to the almost beyond human hearing frequencies.
Were you in row 11

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Looking at the crown on the TV, if the attendance was actually over 700 I would be surprised. Sad that a team that has been undefeated much of the year has so little support.
I noted this elsewhere but maybe it bears repeating, the attendance was 2,910 which is great for SJU but unfortunately the UBS seating licenses have stipulations that all the midcourt, rows 4-20 are corporate sponsor seats who have sky boxes and evidently, they are prohibited from reselling these seats unlike individual season ticket holders. I think SJU planned on working with UBS Arena to see if the Corporate owners would donate or be more active at giving them to their employees/clients for future SJU events as you are correct, it was not a good look.

Reaction Score
The decision on how much prime time PT to give Ines really comes down to the Big Dance, and whether or not she’ll be a contributor against the gauntlet of NCAA playoff teams the Huskies will face. With everyone healthy, UConn has a solid 7 player rotation. After that, Geno will try to coach up Amari or Ayanna, or both to provide depth against the towering frontlines of SC & Stanford, should UConn run into them in the Tournament.

While I love Ines’s work ethic and attitude, I just don’t see her as a viable alternative against the ball pressure she would face vs many of the top defenses in the Big Dance just yet. If that should change, I will be ecstatic.
You are spot on here olddude. Geno isn’t going to coach "scared" thinking "someone will get hurt." Might not even coach or play basketball fi you coach or play scared. Geno made a very smart move with his game management vs St Johns as he normally always does; playing his top core players that he will rely on; “minutes.” We all love Ines has contributed in a pinch but there are better players. Now that Azzi is back, she'll play more than 20 minutes, and eventually Caroline comes back – this will all take minutes away from Nika.

What has to be recognized is that leading up to this past game, Turnovers were a big problem. You can't get your turnover reduced when your core players are on the bench. And in comparison vs many of the top teams, how long has UCONN's core players played together in comparison vs these other top teams? They need “minutes.”

Third point is that too much is being made to try to pin down "minutes" because they are "up by 30." So in the next game UCONN is winning by a lot and his team happened to be doing so well because of transition fastbreaks but their halfcourt offense was bad. Does that mean Geno shouldn't work his core players an extra 5 minutes on halfcourt offense?

Fourth, the comments of being “worn out” are a bit misleading if they are implied that this is related to “too many minutes.” Take away the Paige issue, what other player can their injuries be attributed to "minutes related?"

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The Big East Tourney will never be held at this arena as 4 major obsticles:
1. Not enough hotels for ease of access/location
2. Traffic is a nightmare
3. Mohegan Sun has shown a commitment to WCBB and in particular UConn so they will not be outbid for that tournament.
4. As long as UConn is in the Big East, the powers that be, know keeping this tournament in UConn's back yard means attendance and support.
To your point, the BE WBB tournament is currently under contract to the Mohegan Sun through 2026.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Inexcusable miss on lay-up from underneath, and she needs to strengthen her hands. If a wind blows, she will lose possession. I don't think she will ever again shoot from distance this year. And that is supposed to be a strength.
You don't need a long memory to recall that at the start of the Xavier game, Dorka missed three easy layups to begin the game, and then ended up going 6-for-9 in shooting for the game as a whole. Everybody on the team has missed easy layups -- remember Caroline's whiff against Florida State? My hunch is that players are particularly prone to miss layups at the start of the game (Azzi missed a layup on the first UConn shot of the Duke game), or when the player has just been put in the game, as with Amari in this instance.

You can't properly use a word like "inexcusable" until a player has attempted enough layups to establish a "batting average".

Regarding Amari shooting from distance, I suspect that Geno has told her that should be a last resort at the end of the shot clock, since there are better bets percentage-wise elsewhere in the UConn offense.

Reaction Score
Just thinking about size issues. UConn is huge compared to the rest of the BE. SJU is one of the few teams that puts a team on the floor nearly as tall as we do.

Cosgrove is listed at 6’4”, Peeples at 6’3” and Patterson and Bailey at 6’1” or 2”.

So they’re almost the same size as our post players. But it was clear from yesterday that they aren’t nearly as strong or quick. Aaliyah and Dorka were just too much for them.

Add to that our backcourt players who, with the exception of Nika and Inês, are all right around 6’ or better. Yes, Azzi is technically 5’11”, but given the magnitude of her skills and court savvy, she might as well be 6’. Lou and Aubrey are 6’1” and very athletic, Caroline and Ayanna at 6’2” or better and very athletic. Aaliyah is a strong and quick 6’3” and Dorka and Amari are lanky and 6’5”.

That’s a lot big people for any team to contend with. SJU took their good size and racked up a bunch of wins. But against us, they didn’t even look competitive. The ironic thing is we’re a finesse team at bottom, even if the BE teams experience us as brutes who outmuscle opponents. But against our genuine rivals, like SC and Stanford, as well as tOSU, LSU, Indiana, ND and MD, we’ll have to contend with bigger teams who will try to disrupt our speed and finesse with brute force. Actually, tOSU and Indiana aren’t really bigger. But I suspect they’ll try to rough up Aaliyah and Dorka and Aubrey anyway.

Reaction Score
Will leave the overall reporting to Old Dude and others but after watching the game a second time have a few observations:
-What pro team, particularly if they drafted at the bottom of the first round, wouldn't want a 6'5" player who could hit the midrange jump shot, rebound and effectively defend bigs and wings? Thanks, Dorka, for transferring to UConn.
-Aubrey answered the question, "if you can't score on fast breaks, how do you help the UConn offense?" She moved well within the UConn motion offense, often cutting to the basket and diverting attention away from the shooters. Defense was as advertised-outstanding.
-UConn is unique this year in that its starting guards are all 6" or over. Believe this relates to their ability to reduce the % of 3pointers made. Tough to shoot over the height and long arms.
-Everyone drives to the basket, backcuts, etc. this year. Competitors such as South Carolina will no longer be able to just defemd the middle and dare UConn to shoot. Each team is unique, but I like this year's UConn team in the playoffs. What experience will SC, Stanford, etc. have chasing shooters like Azzi and Lou, defending midrange shooters like Edwards and Dorka, defend backcuts by Arbrey, Azzi, et. etc?
-Wonder how this game will affect the top 20. UConn played a team undefeated for most of the year with a high win rate and demolished by 25-30 the second half. Relative to LSU and others with soft schedules, how would they perform against UConn? Writers have to rate UConn and its performance in the top 2-3.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Ines will certainly get chances to play in BE games, and she is being evaluated every day in practice. I don’t expect to see her in either the TN or SC games, unless they are blowouts or someone is injured. Beyond that, I truly hope that I am mistaken about Ines, and she is able to earn Geno’s trust this season to play meaningful minutes in big games.
I don't expect Ines to play against the elite teams unless the game is a blowout. My complaint is that Geno does not play her in BE games until the last three or so minutes when the team is up by 25 or more points. She went in very late yesterday. Just my gripe.

Reaction Score
Matching up with Stanford and SC is still difficult with the bigs. We needed Ayanna or Ice to be a big part of the rotation and they effectively are not this year. We are comparatively weak with the bigs unless AE and Dorka play 35 minutes and have great games. That's a tall request from 2 bigs,especially against SC and Stanford. Aubrey is great even as a 4 but against them she is undersized. Caroline blocks out well but she's not ideal as a 4. The 4 and 5 slots are still problematic for us compared to the depth at SC and Stanford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom