UCONN - SJU post-game thread [merged] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCONN - SJU post-game thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The decision on how much prime time PT to give Ines really comes down to the Big Dance, and whether or not she’ll be a contributor against the gauntlet of NCAA playoff teams the Huskies will face. With everyone healthy, UConn has a solid 7 player rotation. After that, Geno will try to coach up Amari or Ayanna, or both to provide depth against the towering frontlines of SC & Stanford, should UConn run into them in the Tournament.

While I love Ines’s work ethic and attitude, I just don’t see her as a viable alternative against the ball pressure she would face vs many of the top defenses in the Big Dance just yet. If that should change, I will be ecstatic.
We will never know if she does not get the chance. Maryland is a good team and she handled herself well in that game.

Reaction Score
Amari's A:TO ratio (3:1) was impressive, and each of those assists was a beaut. She looks good passing from the high post. But c'mon, on those rare occasions when she shakes free under the basket, that layup has to be an automatic. If, as Husky Nan says, Amari comes in as more an offensive than a defensive player, she has to be able to convert a layup opportunity 100% of the time.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We will never know if she does not get the chance. Maryland is a good team and she handled herself well in that game.
Ines will certainly get chances to play in BE games, and she is being evaluated every day in practice. I don’t expect to see her in either the TN or SC games, unless they are blowouts or someone is injured. Beyond that, I truly hope that I am mistaken about Ines, and she is able to earn Geno’s trust this season to play meaningful minutes in big games.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Aubrey will go back to the bench but I don't see her behind Caroline. First, they are two different players with different skill sets. Aubrey is faster and quicker. She is the slasher on the fast break. She can drive and take it to the hole. And an excellent defender and rebounder. Caroline is the 3 point gunner who can also take it to the hole. She's a good rebounder and defender.

There will be more than enough minutes for both players. Game situations will always dictate substitution patterns.

Reaction Score
Dorka was great again. She is close to AA material. If she had a bit more explosion and quickness....
well, anyway she has been really good this year. Hitting that outside shot has been really crucial and will be against top teams. She will need to bring out the post players which will open things up underneath and for backdoor cutters.

AE - very solid game, but will she be able to avoid fouls against top level teams?

- an amazing shooter and love that she is calling for the ball. I think she can go for 20 -25 pts on any given night, against anybody. Just got to get her open and keep her moving. When they overplay, go backdoor and/or take them to the bucket. Nice first game back.

Lou - she is better than I ever imagined. We could have used her last year and it would have made a big difference. Teams will find it tough not giving her or any room to shoot. Terrific player..wish she was a bit more physical and could get a few more rebounds- particularly on the offensive side.

NM - really good game and continues to show the boneyard that she can hit a layup. Great defense and really shows command on the team every time out. Now I must admit that I am getting a bit concerned with her FTs. She is a lot better than last year's percentage shows but not the 75% FT shooter I thought and hoped she would be. I think she is stuck on 65% or so and that isn't good enough for a guard that will be playing almost the entire game. We will have close games and the ball will be in her hands...I feel good about her decision making and even her 3 pt shooting, but now I get a little worries when she is at the FT line.

AG - great defensive game.

Amari - I'm not as high on her as some. She has some good attributes and passing is one of them. More often than not, she is caught watching and not moving her feet, leading to easy buckets for the opposition and fouls on Amari. It is hard to get out of this habit.

Reaction Score
Aubrey will go back to the bench but I don't see her behind Caroline. First, they are two different players with different skill sets. Aubrey is faster and quicker. She is the slasher on the fast break. She can drive and take it to the hole. And an excellent defender and rebounder. Caroline is the 3 point gunner who can also take it to the hole. She's a good rebounder and defender.

There will be more than enough minutes for both players. Game situations will always dictate substitution patterns.
You hit the nail on the head. Caroline is better in the half court offense. Aubrey is the core of the transition game. We can still run when she’s on the bench, but it’s not quite so devastating… or awe inspiring. And a team needs to inspire a little awe occasionally. Aubrey’s D is more suffocating than Caroline’s, at least in ball denial mode and on the perimeter. But Caroline can shut people down in the paint and passes out of rebounds and steals better.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I just watched a game highlights video (stupidly did not copy the address) and was certainly impressed with Azzi's level of performance in her first game back. It's still a knee injury and you have to put aside that fear of reinjury. Terrific job. However in a supremely balanced Husky game the Husky who impressed me the most was Dorka. She was so steady, so calm and grounded, and she demonstrated her full range of versatility on the floor. Loved the way she came to play.

Reaction Score
First of all, as we have seen, Caroline is not a guard with great ball handling skills, and I hate to say this, with her history this year who knows when she will be back and how competent she will be. Same with Lou, as far as ball handling, so Nika, Azzi, and Ines are the guards to bring up the ball and break presses. We want Azzi, Lou, and Caroline to look for their shot, not looking to pass as a point guard. Granted, Ines isn't as good as the other players, but she will be needed at some point and the more she plays the better she will be. Blowouts, come on, this is where she can practice for a big moment that may come our way going forward.
Agreed!!! There is only one guard on the team that can do it all - Paige B. And, she's out for the season. The back up to Nika is Ines. Give Ines meaningful minutes once the starters have "gelled" during the game, and the outcome of the game is not necessarily in question. Or maybe when the game is still being contested? Each player and group needs to be tested...seasoned. If Ines could play vs. UMd, she should see more minutes. Hopefully, Ines goes against Nika in practice. This will hone her skills and smarts. But!, games are different than practice.

The point guard spot is the most important position in bball, sets the offense and defense. Why not have two capable individuals at the position? Nika being out of a game for foul trouble (or...The word that cannot be uttered...) diminishes the team's capability. I could see Azzi shifting to the PG spot, as her play is similar to PB. This takes away from her natural 2 spot though.

Glad to see a more complete and clean game against St Johns. Dorka and Nika looked more comfortable with their offense, not hesitating. Let's see it transfer to Aubrey and Ines.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The St.John's players for all of the now 3 years that they have been playing UConn back in the Big East are not used to the "exposure" that that entails. I did a quick look back at the SJU attendance during the past two year (2020-21 was COVID impacted without fans) and as I said earlier in this thread, this year they are averaging 343 fans at home. Last week at Seton Hall in Walsh, 1,000 fans showed up which was the largest, by far of the season. Last year, for the 10 home games that had fans, they averaged 406.3 which includes the 945 that went to Carnesecca Arena on Campus to see UConn. So when the question was posed to the players about the atmosphere AT HOME, these players had never experienced this type of support of 2,910 fans. I too, can be jaded when viewing how other teams support or don't support their teams but COVID and a few poor seasons have really hurt SJU. I do hope they continue to partner with this new arena and have a few games, including UConn at this venue to garner more fans. One last point, the mid-court seats for 12 rows are all corporate seats that those entities are not allowed to resell so they either have to give them away (and be pro-active about that) or they will be unused like last night. SJU said they would try to get UBS Arena to help communicate to those sponsors to get those seats filled in the future.

I was fortunate enough to get to meet the SJU AD and even the coach's wife (I had met Joe T earlier this year) and to put a human element to other teams is such a nice feeling (and empathetic aspect :rolleyes:) that I can't help but root for the "Johnny's" going forward.
Good post.

Reaction Score
First of all, as we have seen, Caroline is not a guard with great ball handling skills, and I hate to say this, with her history this year who knows when she will be back and how competent she will be. Same with Lou, as far as ball handling, so Nika, Azzi, and Ines are the guards to bring up the ball and break presses. We want Azzi, Lou, and Caroline to look for their shot, not looking to pass as a point guard. Granted, Ines isn't as good as the other players, but she will be needed at some point and the more she plays the better she will be. Blowouts, come on, this is where she can practice for a big moment that may come our way going forward.
She was needed in that Princeton game! That was a big moment already.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Our first in person UCONN game. Here are my impression, no xs and os, others take care of that very well.

We saw most boxes checked;

Geno back on the sideline, Azzi in the game, solid win, low turnovers, good defense.
Lots of UCONN fans, which we noted when standing before the tip- off and until the first score.

Dorka was definitely shortchanged one assist.

One ref was a bit whistle happy.

There was a row of screaming little girl basketball players, St.Johns fans, behind us, they were kind of ear piercingly loud, but still added to the excitement.

UBS Arena is a brand new and beautiful venue, easy access,( 1.5 hour drive for us), train access from east and west. Well marked directional signs and helpful staff.

Got home a little before midnight, rare for us as we get up before 6, but went to sleep happy.
Great report Greenfan, thanks. You saw a different game than those little girls did. I'm jealous. I wish I could have been there too. Watching games on TV is nothing like being there in person. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I just watched a game highlights video (stupidly did not copy the address) and was certainly impressed with Azzi's level of performance in her first game back. It's still a knee injury and you have to put aside that fear of reinjury. Terrific job. However in a supremely balanced Husky game the Husky who impressed me the most was Dorka. She was so steady, so calm and grounded, and she demonstrated her full range of versatility on the floor. Loved the way she came to play.
Most nights, two players can carry a team to victory. UConn has 4-5 players capable of carring the team on any given night. Saturday it might be Aubrey and Azzi, or Lou and Dorka, or Nika and Aaliyah.

Everyone is NOT "on" every night. Remember the game Azzi went 1-8? Some nights the basket looks the size of a hoola hoop, other nights the size of a Cheerie O. Lou is one of the most steady and consistent players we have, but sometimes the rim tightens up for her too, and someone else has to take the baton and run with it.

All we can do is hope they are "ON" most of the time. Some teams only have 1-2 "go-to" players. We have six. The others are role players. Their "roles" are just as important as the go-to players (scorers). Any coach will tell you they don't need a team full of scorers. They need role players too. Everyone can't be a 25/15 a night player, but they can help the team in a support or back-up role.

I like our team and every player on it. Everyone knows their place on the team and wants to play and be ready to answer the bell when called. :cool: It's nice to see them root, cheer and suppot each other. Sometimes they all need a little understanding, love and support that fans and coaches can't give them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Certainly, Ines has improved since arriving at UConn. But I don’t know that she’s ready for significant prime time minutes just yet. Her average of 10+ mpg has as much to do with UConn being shorthanded in the backcourt as anything to do with her level of play.

Last night, Ines got only 3 minutes of PT. Also last night, UConn had Azzi available for the first time in 5 weeks, along with Nika & Lou. As much as we all want to see Ines earn more PT, I’m pretty sure the plan against a good SJ team was to give the majority of PT to the 3 veterans, and get them used to playing together again.

As much as we all like Ines, I don’t see her PT increasing so long as UConn is relatively healthy. Once Caroline is back, UConn will have 4 talented, veteran guards available. In that situation, Ines will most likely be confined to late game PT during mop up time.
I agree. Now I think if Nika plays 38 min and Ines 2 min in the upcoming Georgetown game then there I think you have a valid argument! Ines should be able to get at least 5 if not 8-10 min in that game....

Reaction Score
I’d like to see Inês play more mins, too. But I expect Geno and CD were very upfront with her about what the p/t priorities would be this year. I doubt she’s surprised, even if she wants to play more. Also, in a presser last week, CD mentioned something about the pressure on Inês when she played a lot in earlier games, so more minutes may be a mixed blessing for her.
it's not as much about Ines or Amari playing more minutes as it is about Nika and Dorka not having to play 38-40 minutes in a game that became uncompetitive........

Reaction Score

I agree. With a healthy Azzi and Caroline at the 2/3 with Lou, I see Aubrey being able to give Aaliyah and Dorka a break at the 4. They can effectively play fast paced small ball for a period of time as a change up so Dorka and Aaliyah don’t have to play 40 min in a big game. Ayanna and Amari aren't ready for minutes in a big game but Aubrey is.

Reaction Score
Lots of permutations out there though. To play big it can be Azzi or Nika at the point with Caroline at the 2, Aubrey, AE and Dorka. Or Nika, Lou, Azzi, Aubrey or Caroline( subbing in for Aaliyah) to play smaller and Dorka. Or to press Nika, Azzi, Aubrey, Caroline, Aaliyah. Or Nika, Azzi, Lou, Caroline, Dorka. Or to shoot 3s like hail in Buffalo, Nika, Azzi, Lou, Caroline, Dorka. The list is literally 35 combinations long. Add in Ayanna and it gets nuts. It will be lots of fun to be Geno when everyone comes back.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Amari's A:TO ratio (3:1) was impressive, and each of those assists was a beaut. She looks good passing from the high post. But c'mon, on those rare occasions when she shakes free under the basket, that layup has to be an automatic. If, as Husky Nan says, Amari comes in as more an offensive than a defensive player, she has to be able to convert a layup opportunity 100% of the time.
She will. I remember not too long ago when both Aaliyah and Aubrey had trouble getting their bunnies to fall. This year, it's Amari and Ayanna that have the lid on their baskets. As they mature and become more comfortable in the system, their teamamtes and playing at this level, those bunnies will fall, just like they are for Aaliyah and Aubrey now.

Before she's done, Ayanna will become a real "beast". I mean that in the most respectful way I can. You can see it coming. Being able to play like Aaliyah is now is not like being able to flip a light switch on and off. It took Aaliyah 3 years to get to this space she's in now. I don't worry about Ayanna, she's a freshman. She'll get there.

Now if she's still playing like this her junior year, then that's something else. Amari is coming around. She's got a ways to go yet, but she's coming around. The more she plays, the faster she'll get to where she needs to be. :) I'm still on the front row of her cheering section with my over-sized pom-poms rooting and cheering for her as loud as I can. Still a few seats left, but they are going fast. ;)

Reaction Score
The games against the LVs in Knoxville and later against the Gamecocks will
tell us more about our chances than routine beatdowns of Big East opponents.
Really. I wonder if TN could beat Creighton, Villanova, St. John’s, Seton Hall, Marquette and DePaul twice in a season. My gut says no way. At one point, five of those teams were ranked higher than the Lady Vols.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I agree. With a healthy Azzi and Caroline at the 2/3 with Lou, I see Aubrey being able to give Aaliyah and Dorka a break at the 4. They can effectively play fast paced small ball for a period of time as a change up so Dorka and Aaliyah don’t have to play 40 min in a big game. Ayanna and Amari aren't ready for minutes in a big game but Aubrey is.
If you can see that, so does Geno. He knows what he's doing, and who he has. Remember, he sees them everyday in practice for several hours. We see them twice or three times a week and then only for the time they're on the floor. And he has the eyes of his coaches that see things he might miss.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Good assessment of Caroline and Lou. They can both handle the ball well enough, even bring it up the floor. But handles is not their superpower, and there are better uses for them than this. Azzi is that rare mix of a shooter with awesome handles, the best on the team by quite a margin. This came in handy against the Texas press. But again I don’t think this is the best use of her other skills. Nika’s handles are good, better than Inês’, but both of them can make mistakes when pressed. This just means helping them out occasionally.
All year as the only ball handler has Nika been stripped? In the Texas game they played to deny Nika getting the inbounds pass, the same at NCS. Azzi also has a good handle but there were times when pressed she has gotten frazzled. Right now those 2 are the only 2 that can be trusted to dribble break a press. Maybe Aaliyah as we saw when both Azzi and Nika were out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44