UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others) | Page 14 | The Boneyard

UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Molly Bent's career at Tabor ends with a loss in the title game. Tabor lost two games all year both to Noble and Greenough. But I think Geno has already marked her as a future favorite of his.

"We've had opportunities to see her. I am always impressed with how much she loves to play," Auriemma said. "As much as her skill level, I love how much she loves the game and it shows every time she steps on the court. She fills up the stat sheet in every area, I just think she is going to be great here."

http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2016/03/uconns-defense-flexes-its-muscles-in.html

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Wait until fans see the motor and desire this young lady has . She's going to be a real fan favorite. Motor Molly. Never say die.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sheesh, Tabor led 12-2 in the title game and still lost rather handily.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Who knew? Yellow mustard and cramping. Tumeric and vinegar are the key ingredients.
I had never heard that. Have to remember that on days where I dehydrate myself.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Nothing went right for Tabor in that game. Bent wasn't much of a factor, neither was Bradshaw. N&G was the better team, emphasis on team.

I had Bent for 8 points, 4 rebounds, and 2 steals. She hit a three but rarely took the initiative against a zone. Still easy to see why the coaching staff likes her.

Reaction Score
Nothing went right for Tabor in that game. Bent wasn't much of a factor, neither was Bradshaw. N&G was the better team, emphasis on team.

I had Bent for 8 points, 4 rebounds, and 2 steals. She hit a three but rarely took the initiative against a zone. Still easy to see why the coaching staff likes her.

Tough game for Tabor, Nobles had the blueprint for how to beat them. They shredded the 1-3-1 trap they ran and had numerous open looks at the 3 ball. Constant whistles and a good job by Nobles getting back killed any transition possibilities for Tabor which is where they excell. I thought there was way too much dribbling by a lot of Tabor players against the zone and they didn't make the Nobles zone run around and leave people open. Anyone wanting to watch the replay can here http://portal.stretchinternet.com/nepsac/portal.htm?eventId=276661&streamType=video

Overall it was a great day for New England basketball. The Nobles gym was perfect size for the games and was crowded for all 5 games. By the time Tabor played it was standing room only. I saw 4 of the 5 and most were very evenly matched, exciting games. College coaches were everywhere, it was just a great showcase for the girls.

Reaction Score
Also Molly was a NEPSAC All Star...the program gives the following comments but no stats in the stat section...
"Molly Bent has a complete perimeter game. Ability to shoot from the arc, pull up, or finish at the rim make her very hard to guard and her brilliant passing creates frequent opportunities for her teammates. She also generates steals and deflections so frequently that opponents struggle to run their offense. Athletic, skilled, and creative are words that describe her game"

Some other notables are...

Janai Crooms, the top 15 player nationally in the 2018 class from St. Andrews in RI averaged 12.5 ppg, 10.3 rpg, and 5.3 apg and is listed as a 5'9 guard...the comments are...
"Janai is an incredible talent for just being a sophomore. She has terrific court vision and can finish in the paint or find the open teammate anywhere on the court. She is an exceptionally strong rebounder and can shoot it from beyond the arc consistently well. Janai's ball handling skills are also off the charts which makes her a very dangerous threat in transition or out of offensive sets."

Naomi Van Ness from Hamden Hall in CT who's going to North Carolina averaged 15 pts, 14 rpg, and 3 blocks and is listed as a 6'5 Center...
"Naomi excelled on both ends of the floor due to her size and strength. Defensively she discouraged most dribble penetration with her size and shot blocking ability, and as the season went on became a dominant rebounder. Offensively she frequently demanded a double or triple team yet maintained solid numbers. She will be competing as a Tarheel next season at UNC.

Reaction Score
Here's a bit about a local Connecticut high school star whom Coach Geno had his eye on for a while back: 6'4" post Abby Wolf of Greenwich:

"With the impressive triumph, the Cardinals advanced to the Class LL semifinals for the first time in receny memory. They will play either E.O. Smith or Glastonbury in Friday’s semifinal matchup. Senior 6-foot-4 center Abbie Wolf celebrated her 18th birthday in style, scoring 16 points and grabbing 10 rebounds for Greenwich (18-4)."

Wolf committed to Northwestern. She's ranked #76 by ESPNW: http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/203048/abbie-wolf

http://www.greenwichtime.com/highsc...rls-rip-Warde-advance-to-Class-LL-6876186.php

Reaction Score

Uhhh.... it seems not necessarily at UConn. Geno has said many times, if all you are is a shooter, you probably won't get much playing time, evidence by some of the current bench players.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield wins Miss Basketball in the state of Tennessee for the second time.

635930724306313546-04-Dangerfield.jpg

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/hig...erfield-wins-second-miss-basketball/81422376/

Reaction Score
WooHoo - Go Danger!!

Her season averages:
24.4 Points
4.9 Rebounds
3.1 Assists
2.6 Steals

HGN

Reaction Score
JordyG, I agree with your take. I also wish you good luck with it. You know the comparisons to Moriah by the "yarders" and others will be endless. Moriah became a cult hero, and a fan favorite (she's my favorite player) while she was here. She almost redefined the point guard position.

Every team in WCBB would love to have a clone of her. Her speed has become legendary. No one can keep up with her. She has become a very good shooter, and she can lock down your best guard. Just ask Ohio State's Kelsey Mitchell, who led the nation in scoring last year (8 points for the entire game earlier this year), or South Carolina's Tiffany Mitchell (2 points in the 2nd half last year). She threw a blanket over both of them while she was guarding them.

If Dangerfield is not the starting PG when the season opens, don't be surprised if she is when it ends. She has too much of an upside. From the reports we're getting, Dangerfield sounds like a "Swiss Army Knife". I don't think it will take her that long to make the high school to college adjustment.

She's too much of a real "baller" and competitor. She's not as quick as Moriah (who is?), but after she gets her "sea legs", Geno is going to have a hard time keeping her on the bench.

Chong will no doubt start the season at the point, and of course Nurse will remain the shooting guard.
It's too early to try and guess who the other 3 starters will be, but I'm going to anyway.

I'm guessing Tuck (if she comes back), Lou and Butler. If Tuck leaves, then Williams will most likely take her spot. All of this is of course pure speculation. I could be spot on, or way out in left field. A lot of things can happen between now and then. We'll see.
Carnac , I agree with all you say except that I think Chong will be the starter at PG the entire season , if healthy. ( That IT Band thing worries me). I also think that it may take Danger a little longer adjustment period due to her size and getting use to the speed of the college game . And getting use to Geno can take time and adjustment too. But if she is physically and mentally as tough as she seems , who knows.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Carnac , I agree with all you say except that I think Chong will be the starter at PG the entire season , if healthy. ( That IT Band thing worries me). I also think that it may take Danger a little longer adjustment period due to her size and getting use to the speed of the college game . And getting use to Geno can take time and adjustment too. But if she is physically and mentally as tough as she seems , who knows.

The reason I have doubts about Chong being the starter all season is because of the fact that she has a standing reservation in Geno's "Dog house" (like Stokes did). I just get the feeling that Geno will have Chong on a short leash, and will not hesitate to pull her if she makes a lot of mistakes, or is unable to play consistent defense at a level he desires.

If you notice, she's not getting a lot of PT now. She's not the first guard off the bench. I agree she should start next year, but what happens as the season progresses, I don't have a clue, because there are so many variables that can throw a wrench into the works that we can't see from here right now. Time will tell.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Saniya may be struggling with her injury and possibly also with loss of confidence. At times over her career, Saniya has looked very good. She was the starter last season, until a poor defensive effort by her and others contributed to the loss at Stanford. To her credit, her offensive game in Palo Alto was good. She made some clutch plays against Maryland this year. Without her efforts, that game could have been a loss. I see Saniya as the backup SG next year and a real contributor. I think she's much better at the 2 than the 1.

HGN

Reaction Score
The reason I have doubts about Chong being the starter all season is because of the fact that she has a standing reservation in Geno's "Dog house" (like Stokes did). I just get the feeling that Geno will have Chong on a short leash, and will not hesitate to pull her if she makes a lot of mistakes, or is unable to play consistent defense at a level he desires.

If you notice, she's not getting a lot of PT now. She's not the first guard off the bench. I agree she should start next year, but what happens as the season progresses, I don't have a clue, because there are so many variables that can throw a wrench into the works that we can't see from here right now. Time will tell.
True.........Time will tell. And time is on her side. She has the summer to heal her injury and practice to get her confidence back. I for one am pulling for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom