UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others) | Page 17 | The Boneyard

UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well, Morgan was a 5 in the Uconn scheme of things so anything is possible - it appears she has the strength and bulk to hold up in the post better than a lot of kids taller than her.
Right and right again. With that wide base she'll add some upper and lower body strength and she will be a force. As I've said before, people are going to be surprised by her shot making, grit and work ethic. She and Molly are going to bare their teeth on offense and defense. This is going to be one raw boned, hard nosed team.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
So, I have been following the board for a month or so now, and figured I would join in on the fun. Actually, a UConn women`s BB fan since the early nineties; and a UConn men`s BB fan since I was in eighth grade, listening to George Erlich call games featuring Toby Kimball and Wes Bialosuknia while (supposedly) doing my homework.

Anyhow, looking out to 2017-2018, by my count the roster is at least 12 and could be as many as 14:

Sr: Nurse, Williams, Butler, Ekmark (4)
Jr: Samuelson, Collier, Stevens (3)
So: Dangerfield, Bent, Irwin (3)
FR: Hunter, Gordon (verbals); Walker, Coombs (hopeful) (2 to 4)

Now, eight of these players have not played a minute for UConn and five won`t for another 18 months. Also, no guarantees (obviously) on those in the "hopeful" category. But if all this pans out, and if the recruits are as advertised, two big ifs, yikes that is an amazing roster with an abundance of talent and astonishing depth. Plus, of course, the best head coach and staff in the WBB game.

Too good? Nah, no such thing, shoot to be as good as possible and let the rest of the world worry about catching up.....

Too much depth? Hmmm.....only 200 minutes available to dole out (and that team is unlikely to ever see overtime). Not a typical UConn roster as Geno`s teams over the years often go only 6 or 7 deep in big games.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Reaction Score
Now, eight of these players have not played a minute for UConn and five won`t for another 18 months. Also, no guarantees (obviously) on those in the "hopeful" category. But if all this pans out....
Ah, the optimism of summer! :)

Reaction Score
So, I have been following the board for a month or so now, and figured I would join in on the fun. Actually, a UConn women`s BB fan since the early nineties; and a UConn men`s BB fan since I was in eighth grade, listening to George Erlich call games featuring Toby Kimball and Wes Bialosuknia while (supposedly) doing my homework.

Anyhow, looking out to 2017-2018, by my count the roster is at least 12 and could be as many as 14:

Sr: Nurse, Williams, Butler, Ekmark (4)
Jr: Samuelson, Collier, Stevens (3)
So: Dangerfield, Bent, Irwin (3)
FR: Hunter, Gordon (verbals); Walker, Coombs (hopeful) (2 to 4)

Now, eight of these players have not played a minute for UConn and five won`t for another 18 months. Also, no guarantees (obviously) on those in the "hopeful" category. But if all this pans out, and if the recruits are as advertised, two big ifs, yikes that is an amazing roster with an abundance of talent and astonishing depth. Plus, of course, the best head coach and staff in the WBB game.

Too good? Nah, no such thing, shoot to be as good as possible and let the rest of the world worry about catching up.....

Too much depth? Hmmm.....only 200 minutes available to dole out (and that team is unlikely to ever see overtime). Not a typical UConn roster as Geno`s teams over the years often go only 6 or 7 deep in big games.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
And Batouly Camara makes 13. Geno's worst nightmare, too much talent!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Opposing coaches will be having similar nightmares too. Nothing new for them though, UConn has been causing coaches to have nightmares and bad dreams for years.
Two thoughts that no doubt come to mind for some coaches......1. how do I keep the MOV under 40 2. WTH was I thinking when I agreed to schedule UConn in the first place? :eek:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score

Couldn`t be happier that UConn has another big to help for three years starting 2017-2018. As a diehard UConn WBB fan, I also hope that they are able to land Walker and Coombs to make it 15 outstanding players on the roster. My comment in an earlier post about doleing out minutes was an (apparently unsuccessful) effort to generate some discussion.

Really a non-issue from the fans` perspective as Geno will require everyone to earn the minutes they play, and we will see the absolute best the team has to offer. And that is going to be incredibly good!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that when Uconn's roster expands beyond 12 people always start fearing a wave of transfers while there are a lot of teams that consistently have 14 or 15 player rosters and do not seem to suffer any more transfers than the Uconn average of 1 per season. I think Uconn coaches are pretty clear about expectations and how playing time is distributed both in recruiting and throughout a players 4 year career - more clear than probably most other staffs. And this idea that everyone needs 30 minutes of playing time to be a happy camper belies most players' experiences at Uconn - very few freshman earn 20 mpg at uconn, and many starters have averaged under 25 minutes for at least a few of their years at uconn.

It is a great advantage of having a Lawlor on the team - if a player with greater skill works harder than Lawlor, then they can start asking questions about the minutes they receive - not many do!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
And this idea that everyone needs 30 minutes of playing time to be a happy camper belies most players' experiences at Uconn - very few freshman earn 20 mpg at uconn, and many starters have averaged under 25 minutes for at least a few of their years at uconn.

This isn't really the thread for the discussion but there will definitely be a major minutes puzzle in '17 and probably '18. I find it hard to believe that they plan on giving their best upperclassmen under 25 minutes per game which still won't end the logjam.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This isn't really the thread for the discussion but there will definitely be a major minutes puzzle in '17 and probably '18. I find it hard to believe that they plan on giving their best upperclassmen under 25 minutes per game which still won't end the logjam.
At the end of the 2017-18 season you have four graduations which drops the 2018 season (if Coombs and Walker commit) down to 11 plus whatever commits we get from that class - like two. And that assumes no transfers out over the next two years - not that I want anyone to transfer, but 6 players have transferred from uconn in the last six years so it is certainly a possibility that can't be ignored.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
At the end of the 2017-18 season you have four graduations which drops the 2018 season (if Coombs and Walker commit) down to 11 plus whatever commits we get from that class - like two. And that assumes no transfers out over the next two years - not that I want anyone to transfer, but 6 players have transferred from uconn in the last six years so it is certainly a possibility that can't be ignored.

Yes, I assume at least part of the reason for stocking up is the four they lose after 2018. Still, their top 6 could garner 160 minutes per game in '17, theoretically.

Reaction Score
Gordon and Combs are not included in the final 41 roster for the U17 team. That must be devastating to both of them, particularly since Gordon was one of the final cuts last year.

Reaction Score
It starts this weekend. She attended her last State College classes on Friday, then climbed into the family car Saturday morning to move to Storrs. This weekend she meets up with her teammates, hits the weight room, starts running and shooting, and on Tuesday takes her first classes. Aside from a weekend home in two weeks to graduate, and a few other days here and there, her life is now devoted to Connecticut basketball.

Cannot wait to see her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Congrats to Kyla. I'm very pleased that she'll be part of the UConn family.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield can't wait to get to UConn:

And there will be another familiar face when she arrives as Duke transfer Azura Stevens, who played with Dangerfield on the 2015 U-19 team, makes her way to campus.

"She'll add versatility, being able to get into the post but also being able to move out on the wing," Dangerfield said. "She has a nice shot from the outside and she can cause all kinds of matchup problems. It's almost like bringing in another Breanna Stewart. It's huge that Azura is coming to UConn."

Dangerfield awaits USA U-18 fate before heading to UConn

Reaction Score
Excuse me if I missed this info in a previous post but is there any interest in Jade Williams?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Excuse me if I missed this info in a previous post but is there any interest in Jade Williams?

No, UConn is no longer pursuing her. Mikayla Coombs and Megan Walker are the only targets left for 2017.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not sure of the exact timing or the causality, but picking up Azura Stevens and Batouly Camara may have been factors in no longer pursuing Jade.

HGN

Reaction Score
I'm not sure of the exact timing or the causality, but picking up Azura Stevens and Batouly Camara may have been factors in no longer pursuing Jade.
Milford, I think they still like Jade..........Jade and Azura would only play together one year (Probably a WCBB dominating year).

I think its up to Jade if she wants to come.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Milford, I think they still like Jade.....Jade and Azura would only play together one year (Probably a WCBB dominating year).

I think its up to Jade if she wants to come.

She already said UConn's no longer involved with her after they starting looking elsewhere with other recruits.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I think that for 2017 - 2018 they already have 13 on scholarship, including two verbals. Offers out to Walker and Coombs, makes 15. Williams is 2017, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom