UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others) | Page 18 | The Boneyard

UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think that for 2017 - 2018 they already have 13 on scholarship, including two verbals. Offers out to Walker and Coombs, makes 15. Williams is 2017, I believe.
Correct, all the way around.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think they like the 2018 options better and felt that they were stronger Uconn candidates, and with the two transfers didn't need the addition of size in 2017 that Jade represented. (Though I think they had already moved on before the transfers signed)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think they like the 2018 options better and felt that they were stronger Uconn candidates, and with the two transfers didn't need the addition of size in 2017 that Jade represented. (Though I think they had already moved on before the transfers signed)
Geno had clearly moved on before the transfer occurred. Jade should have taken the offer when it was on the table. I think the wisdom of Geno et. al. showed in the make up of U17 team and that the real talent up front is after 2017.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno had clearly moved on before the transfer occurred. Jade should have taken the offer when it was on the table. I think the wisdom of Geno et. al. showed in the make up of U17 team and that the real talent up front is after 2017.
I'm not sure there was a UCONN offer on the table for Jade or any 2017 post player for that matter.

Milford, I think they still like Jade.....Jade and Azura would only play together one year (Probably a WCBB dominating year).

I think its up to Jade if she wants to come.

Jade and Azura could play two seasons together. 2017-18 & 2018-19 if Azura did not leave early for WNBA and Jade was coming to UCONN which by all indications Jade is not coming to UCONN.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UConn needs to get in on Olivia Nelson-Ododa if the Collier thing slips. Not so sure I wouldn't be doing it anyway.
Slu I like your thinking on this one. Ododa should at least get a look from UCONN, although it is starting to be a pretty crowed post field in 2018 with Collier, Prince, Jarosinski, Olivia Owens & Danielle Cosgrove. Very similar to 2014 when we UCONN seemed to be only focused on top two post (Wilson & Turner) and missed out on ironically Azura.

Reaction Score
Jade should have taken the offer when it was on the table.
Could those of you in the know explain whether it's possible to withdraw an offer? Thanks. (I realize that CocoHusky doubts an offer was actually made in this case, so my question may be hypothetical; but still....)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Could those of you in the know explain whether it's possible to withdraw an offer? Thanks. (I realize that CocoHusky doubts an offer was actually made in this case, so my question may be hypothetical; but still....)
An offer is really just as binding as a 'commitment' - they are both as good as the paper they are 'written' on! Schools typically do not 'withdraw' a supposed offer, they tell the recruit they no longer have room, and allow the recruit to 'drop' the school from consideration or 'reopen' their recruitment.

Reaction Score
An offer is really just as binding as a 'commitment' - they are both as good as the paper they are 'written' on! Schools typically do not 'withdraw' a supposed offer, they tell the recruit they no longer have room, and allow the recruit to 'drop' the school from consideration or 'reopen' their recruitment.
Thanks, UcMiami. I can well appreciate why this contingency is necessary: because schools cannot guarantee that each offer will be accepted and so they need to make more offers than they can actually fund, and so, depending on acceptances, they may no longer have enough scholarships. Or, they may no longer need another person at that position. Or--perniciously--they may change their mind that the athlete is good enough. But this seems like a very weird situation. When a school offers a normal student a place in the incoming class, that's guaranteed until the person declines it or the deadline for all acceptances has passed. It can't be taken away because too many other students have accepted before then or that the school has changed its mind about the student. Yet, effectively, this seems to be what schools do to athletes. Do I understand this correctly? thanks.

Reaction Score
Per Jim Fuller, Uconn showing interest in 2017 6'1" Australian forward Chantel Horvat.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks, UcMiami. I can well appreciate why this contingency is necessary: because schools cannot guarantee that each offer will be accepted and so they need to make more offers than they can actually fund, and so, depending on acceptances, they may no longer have enough scholarships. Or, they may no longer need another person at that position. Or--perniciously--they may change their mind that the athlete is good enough. But this seems like a very weird situation. When a school offers a normal student a place in the incoming class, that's guaranteed until the person declines it or the deadline for all acceptances has passed. It can't be taken away because too many other students have accepted before then or that the school has changed its mind about the student. Yet, effectively, this seems to be what schools do to athletes. Do I understand this correctly? thanks.
The timing of school acceptance and scholarship offers is very different which is part of the issue - general admissions occur around January of a students senior year, with early admission happening earlier in the fall - scholarship offers are happening as early as freshman year. And there is no defined class size for general admissions while scholarships are a finite commodity by NCAA rule.

No coach purposely creates a situation where they have to rescind an offer, but situations like the DD instituted package deal at UNC do occur and it is very hard in a competitive environment to turn down surprising commitments from very talented players. When that commitment occurred I believe there were one or two 'committed players' who were politely told to look elsewhere.

The situation that offends me a bit is when the pressure is placed on current team members - Kim at Baylor had that situation when she surprisingly got commitments from two post players that took her above the 15 limit and it resulted in a bench player transferring (Baylor ended up losing two players to transfer that year, one of whom was projected as being pretty integral to the future.) That has occurred elsewhere as well but Baylor is the one that I am aware of most recently. I am not aware of that happening at Uconn, though certainly players have transferred when they recognized that they were not likely to see minutes based on their own performance to date and incoming recruits. And a player like Edwards who was one of the first commits in the Kia/Gabby/Courtney class have looked around in their freshman year and decided transferring was a better option.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Anyone hearing much on Charli Collier? Did we offer her?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Question - I have been waiting until after the U18 competition to suggest we start a new thread since the 2016 class are already enrolled in classes. But with Dangerfield out and all the 2016 U18 players committed elsewhere, is it time to start the new thread?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Question - I have been waiting until after the U18 competition to suggest we start a new thread since the 2016 class are already enrolled in classes. But with Dangerfield out and all the 2016 U18 players committed elsewhere, is it time to start the new thread?

Thought this was the new thread ( AEH, Gordon, etc).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thought this was the new thread ( AEH, Gordon, etc).
It started with 2016 recruits I believe - lots of Irwin, Bent, Danger - AEH just committed really early. First post was:

KLS, Collier, and Boykin have all matriculated at Uconn - and their accomplishments through the summer will all have their own threads anyway, so time to start anew following Uconn verbals/commits through their remaining HS accomplishments.

Reaction Score
Per Jim Fuller, Uconn showing interest in 2017 6'1" Australian forward Chantel Horvat.

Now with 13 players on roster, I wonder if there's still interest.

I would think Geno would be happy with the group as is, and would only add someone super exceptional. So I'm sure he's still going after Walker.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I would think Geno would be happy with the group as is, and would only add someone super exceptional. So I'm sure he's still going after Walker.
Horvat would appear to be that kind of exceptional talent - she is clearly one of the best Australian players in her age group and Australia takes women's basketball very seriously. Add in the fact that she has spent a few years in the national system which is year around and includes really good coaching and consistent team practice.

Just think what USA basketball could do if every year the selected 15 HS freshman each year and sponsored them to attend HS in colorado and train year around with a selected coaching staff at the Olympic training facilities for their last three years of HS! One would suspect that most of them would take over the top 15 spots in any HS ranking service.

Reaction Score

Well Walker will make her decision known within the next 2-3 months and Horvat by next spring sometime. So, Horvat's and Uconn's decision may be highly dependent on Walker's decision. Would Uconn want both? I don't know.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well Walker will make her decision known within the next 2-3 months and Horvat by next spring sometime. So, Horvat's and Uconn's decision may be highly dependent on Walker's decision. Would Uconn want both? I don't know.
I doubt it. If Walker and Horvat both come to UCONN that would be a 2017 class that includes 5 Wingtype players and a Full roster of 15.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Just think what USA basketball could do if every year the selected 15 HS freshman each year and sponsored them to attend HS in colorado and train year around with a selected coaching staff at the Olympic training facilities for their last three years of HS!

Sounds like Russian and Chinese gymnastics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom