UCONN - Seton Hall post-game thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Seton Hall post-game thread

Reaction Score
Now that more players are healthy should they go back to the old scenario where end of the bench players only get garbage time or should they play more meaningful minutes, developing the bench and being satisfied with winning by only 15 vs. blowing out opponents by 20+?

Reaction Score
A few nits to add:
-This was the best I have seen Dorka rebound this year. Normally she boxes out but has a limited jump-today she was more physical going after the ball.
-Speaking of Dorka, what's up with her shoulder cupping? I get that treatment when there is a sore or pulled muscle or ligament. Curious what the issue is.
-Whenever Bettencourt came into the game, Edwards typically brought the ball up. Worked fine today but not a strategy I would recommend against top teams. Also, hope Geno/CD are encouraging her to put a little more power in her passes. Many of those soft passes end up in turnovers.
-Not sure what direction Patterson is trending. Wonder if she is really closer to 6' or 6'1" based on the number of layups she is getting blocked. She may be outplaying DeBerry in practice but DeBerry is starting to show more upside in the games.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm very pleased with the way the team played today. I'm most pleased that Inês saw as much time as they did. I like the two-point-guard look, and I liked seeing Nika and Inês in together for a couple of minutes. If Inês can give UConn 5 minutes a half in many games, that's a positive sign on a number of levels.

Except for brain farts on consecutive possessions, I thought Nika had a fantastic game. Her judgment continues to improve. Geno said a few weeks ago, "She makes the difficult look easy, it's time for her to make the easy look easy." I think she's doing that, not pushing so hard when nothing's there.

I was shocked that Dorka only had 11 rebounds. It seemed that she was everywhere when she was in.

Aaliyah continues to impress.

Caroline is looking more like herself. I held my breath when she hit the floor and came up grabbing her surgically repaired hip. Didn't look like anything though.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
-Speaking of Dorka, what's up with her shoulder cupping? I get that treatment when there is a sore or pulled muscle or ligament. Curious what the issue is.
I didn't notice that till the last game. When I saw it the first thing that occurred to me is maybe some tendinitis. It's both shoulders, which I find a bit troubling.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall came out determined to shut down Lou from the outside, and understandably so. However, how many more games or examples will opposing coaches need before stopping Aaliyah Edwards is part of their pre-game strategy. She is on fire and exhibiting a level of confidence in her game that is a joy to behold. Once they do, a little more room opens up for Lou. It will expand if Caroline can build momentum off today's game. Add Azzi back into the lineup, and UConn has weapons galore.

I feel the continuation of turnovers is a case of bad habits taking over. I believe it will get corrected. The team has too much talent and they are too well coached. The last two weeks have been a toll on Geno, and once he is back in full swing, the TO's will be fixed or else.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all!

Reaction Score
Turnovers are one thing. Too, too many. But...our defense is not championship caliber at this point in time. The opponents are averaging 67 pts/gm this season. Historically, we usually keep the opponent at 55 +/- points. Ok, I know about the adversity and I think we can be a championship level team, but it is something to keep an eye on.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If today is any indication of what we're in for later this season and with Azzi coming back OMG are we gonna be great. Next year forget about it so long as were healthy. Hey we didnt play cupcakes either. Those of you concerned with Creme's polling or anybody elses dont be. We are way to good to not be ranked lower then 1 or 2 and Azzi isnt back yet. It looks like it came together today. Caroline and Nika playing better makes me think we are that good . Now with the holiday off we may a little rusty coming back against Creighton but we have the fight. Whatever happens from here on out. If we stay healthy today showed us how good we are and I believe we will get much much better before the end of January.

Reaction Score
Since I still work for a living I was unable to watch the game. All I have to go by is what others have said and the box score. No, the turnover numbers don't look good, but the assist numbers and the number of players scoring in double digits is nice to see, as is the shooting percentages for both field goals and foul shots. Also nice to see starters playing 27 and 31 minutes instead of 38 or 40.

I sometimes wonder if the "everybody eats" philosophy contributes to the turnover numbers. Sometimes they seem to "overshare" the ball, forcing passes when the passer may have a decent look for a shot themselves or may more prudently pull back and look for another opportunity. Since I didn't see the game and am speaking without visual context I could be all wet on that thought though.

Reaction Score
Nice 3 day break coming up for the players. Players will return to campus on the 25th, practice on the 26th, then fly out to Creighton on the 27th. Three of the foreign players won't be going home my guess Dorka, Nika, and Ines.

Reaction Score
should they go back to the old scenario where end of the bench players only get garbage time
Kinda tempting fate to even suggest this team might get heathy.

But if it happens, that's the historical bias of the program so that would be the natural tendency you might expect. But I don't think Geno is too old to learn and the injury level may have been a brutal teacher that he has to have backup players game ready at all times. Plus, healthy, there's much more depth on this team than he usually has; this bench has elite players. Of course nothing will ever change Geno's core belief that players have to earn minutes (when he has a choice).

I think it would be different, with more integration earlier in the game to keep the starters fresh and allow more pressing, and maybe a re-definition in his mind of just when "garbage time" begins.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Fun game. The UConn student section was filled with kids from East Hartford Middle School and they got to cheer when Shailyn Pinkney from East Hartford hit a three. Nice moment.

Caroline looked very good out there, best game of the season. She took an awkward fall late in the game and rubbed her left hip a bit, but was able to play on. Aubrey also took a nasty spill, foul on Cooks, early in the third and came out briefly but returned.

Aaliyah is so solid and dependable now in everything she does. One big advantage today was transition baskets, our big players were able to run the court better than Seton Hall bigs and Nika always seems to find someone open in transition.

Love that Nika hit those threes! Some nice takes to the hoop as well.

The turnovers are baffling - many of them are soft passes in traffic with no chance of getting through, and many are to players who are not in position to do anything with the ball even if they were to catch it. Need to work on that, plus need to work on avoiding ticky tack fouls on drives to the hoop if the refs are going to call it that way. Caroline and Aubrey also need to work on not traveling when they make their first move to the hoop.

But that is nitpicking - the overall effort was great, the outcome was great, and we are getting solid performances from a lot of players. When Azzi returns, it will look even better.

Reaction Score
Dork was open for a mid-range jumper, but tried a high degree of difficulty pass to Liya and it bounced off Liya's hands out of bounds for a TO.
I suspect Dorka must have some psychological worry about her left thump that effected NOT to make the mid-range shot. She might not be mentally 100% ready to go physically all the way ? ? I think with time she will be much better !!!

Reaction Score
Now that more players are healthy should they go back to the old scenario where end of the bench players only get garbage time or should they play more meaningful minutes, developing the bench and being satisfied with winning by only 15 vs. blowing out opponents by 20+?
I am with developing the bench to be more important !!!

Reaction Score
With all those turnovers I believe some raspberries are in order. Unfortunately no raspberry emoji.

Kat

Reaction Score
This team moves the ball faster than just about anybody. That, and the fact that different players are running in and out makes for some mistakes. I think the concern about turnovers is a bit overblown.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Nice way to go into the holiday break. I was happy to see everyone play and nearly everyone score. I fear that @Longtime fan will be unable to buy many presents this year, as he surely lost his bet and his prediction. CD played everyone and they generally performed well. :)

Reaction Score
Observations:

1. Those live ball turnovers, especially the forced passes into covered post players, are going to be flying back in the other direction against top teams.

2. Aubrey walked three or four uncalled times before her first dribble.

3. The team is much better with Dorka back. But she seems to juggle rebounds or fumble passes of any difficulty quite often. It's the thumb, I'm sure,and maybe it will get better.

Reaction Score
A good effort overall. Great to have six players in double digits and two with double doubles. Great job on assists and rebounds. Aaliyah and Nika were superb. Caroline was playing at a faster pace and making good decisions. Lou, Dorka, and Aubrey had solid games.
Things to look forward to.. turnovers cut in half, seven players in double digits, tougher defense, consistent contributions from Ayanna, Ines, and Amari.

Happy holidays!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom