UCONN - Seton Hall post-game thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Seton Hall post-game thread

Reaction Score
To play devils advocate most teams that lead in assist will also tend to lead in the turnover category just the way it is imo look at Golden State tremendous assist team year after year and they tend to turnover the ball in boat loads also at times ..

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Observations:

1. Those live ball turnovers, especially the forced passes into covered post players, are going to be flying back in the other direction against top teams.

2. Aubrey walked three or four uncalled times before her first dribble.

3. The team is much better with Dorka back. But she seems to juggle rebounds or fumble passes of any difficulty quite often. It's the thumb, I'm sure,and maybe it will get better.

Aubrey was called on one of those travels.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Once again, TOO MANY PLAYERS FALLING ONTO THE FLOOR!

Something has to be done about these incidents. No wonder there are so many injured players; reminds me of a football game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It was a rather enjoyable game overall. I thought we had at least 6 players play well--those in double figures.

In terms of injuries, Aubrey got displaced on a rebound by Cooks. I didn't think it was a dirty play. Carol started to run when a Hall player had her foot pinned to the floor. Considering their recent surgeries and injuries, I was a little concerned, but both looked ok afterwards. Dorka and Nika looked fully recovered. Come on Azzi, join the fun!

Liya played like an All-American again. She is unstoppable on her drives and doesn't commit charges this year.

Nika shot the ball well and took it to the hoop for shots or passes. Her repertoire is expanded, which is a huge help. She also recorded double-figure assists again. Some were spectacular. She continues to lead the nation by a wide margin.

Aubrey is just too fast for anyone in WCBB. Whether in the full court or half court, she gets to the rim soooo fast. She also is a master of offensive rebounds.

Dorka looked solid across the board. Nice overall game. She uses her length well.

Lou was the focus of the defense, but she still managed 14 points on 10 shots and continues to shoot amazing percentage. She IS a bucket.

Caroline looked the best she has all season. She shot the 3, cut to the basket, defended, and rebounded.

Ayanna, Amari, and Ines all made some nice plays, but also joined in the turnover parade. Ayanna has trouble scoring, but she is shooting .857 on FTs, trailing only Lou and Azzi. She was 2-2 today, and neither shot used much rim.

I agree with CD--this was a good way to go on Christmas break. Let's come back and win at Creighton. Merry Christmas to all!

Reaction Score
Aubrey is that magical combination of fast and tall. Some smaller guards can out-quick her with a twitchy first step, but I don't think anyone can beat her down the court. And when she arrives at the rim with a pass Nika has miraculously floated into her hands, there's no stopping her.

As for turnovers, I'm not particularly worried about them. Yeah, we need to improve in that area. But I think we have time in our conference schedule to iron out those wrinkles. I think they are largely a result of the injury parade -- the girls got put through the discombobulator and lost a bit of their mental focus. I expect when they get a few more uncontroversial games under their belts, they'll be humming like that familiar sports car.

Didn't they score something like 150 points today? That testifies to an underlying strength that isn't going away because of a few mistakes.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Once again, TOO MANY PLAYERS FALLING ONTO THE FLOOR!

Something has to be done about these incidents. No wonder there are so many injured players; reminds me of a football game.
Hey KID, get off my lawn! Sorry Monte as I said, I was at the game and I honestly don’t recall any excessive flopping to cause you such consternation. I recall a couple but not so egregious to get even slightly annoyed. Cheer up, it’s Christmas!:D

Reaction Score
Hey KID, get off my lawn! Sorry Monte as I said, I was at the game and I honestly don’t recall any excessive flopping to cause you such consternation. I recall a couple but not so egregious to get even slightly annoyed. Cheer up, it’s Christmas!:D
I seem to recall Lou having a particularly unpersuasive flop. I think it's a good sign that we suck at flopping.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I might be mistaken but didn't Inês & Ayanna actually get in the game when it mattered. Getting to experience the game with the primary players and having the pressure of being a contributor before the game has been decided?

Well, maybe the writing was on the wall. . . But still.

I personally have wanted the players who aren't quite ready yet to get in the game with 3-4 of the best players just a few minutes at a time, so they actually get to experience the reality,so they understand why they have to work harder and smarter.

Perhaps, that was why Ayanna seemed to struggle today. Just letting my thoughts appear on the page.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
To play devils advocate most teams that lead in assist will also tend to lead in the turnover category just the way it is imo look at Golden State tremendous assist team year after year and they tend to turnover the ball in boat loads also at times ..
that's true, but uconn has had far too many travels, illegal screens, even 3-second calls -- failures that are mostly inexcusable.

also, they don't seem as sure-handed as in the past: dropping good passes and fumbling the ball general. that kind of thing is inevitable occasionally, it seems to be happening

Reaction Score
A few nits to add:
-This was the best I have seen Dorka rebound this year. Normally she boxes out but has a limited jump-today she was more physical going after the ball.
-Speaking of Dorka, what's up with her shoulder cupping? I get that treatment when there is a sore or pulled muscle or ligament. Curious what the issue is.
-Whenever Bettencourt came into the game, Edwards typically brought the ball up. Worked fine today but not a strategy I would recommend against top teams. Also, hope Geno/CD are encouraging her to put a little more power in her passes. Many of those soft passes end up in turnovers.
-Not sure what direction Patterson is trending. Wonder if she is really closer to 6' or 6'1" based on the number of layups she is getting blocked. She may be outplaying DeBerry in practice but DeBerry is starting to show more upside in the games.

AP has been consistently listed as 6'2", but I agree she doesnt look/play that tall. She reminds me a lot of Gabby Williams in terms of athleticism. She needs to develop her offensive game a lot more if she expects to get major minutes with this stacked lineup. Some kind of post-move or at least a mid-range jumpshot. As the #4 overall recruit & Geno's praises this summer, she definitely has the potential.

Reaction Score
  1. CD's best game this year. She looked more fluid with her shot and just overall movements.
  2. Lou continues to amaze with her productivity - shooting at a 50+% clip from the perimeter over major minutes is impressive.
  3. AE definitely should get All-American consideration at this point. Actually has similar/slightly better per-game numbers than Boston, and she is doing it with major minutes and double/triple coverage sometimes.

Reaction Score
This team moves the ball faster than just about anybody. That, and the fact that different players are running in and out makes for some mistakes. I think the concern about turnovers is a bit overblown.
They'll get away with 20+ turnovers against the Big East teams but not against the top 10 teams n the country.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Given Nika's 16-point, 11-assist day, shooting 5-for-8 overall and 4-for-5 on threes, I wonder if we witnessed in today's Seton Hall game the first appearance this season of (wait for it ...)

Azzi Muhl !!

Reaction Score
One of the notes about Aubrey also is that when she gets a rebound within 6-8 feet she turns away from the basket to pass it out. All she needs is one dribble right or left and a jump shot or no dribble at all.

The turnovers are baffling at times. Just please make the safe pass, go through, get a good shot each possession and don't worry about anything else. At our team shooting percentage, if we have 10 less turnovers a game, which is realistic (it would have been a total of 12 today) and assuming we get a shot on 8 of those possessions we get a minimum of 8 x .527 or 4 baskets or at least 8.25 points more per game. Since we average about 84 points now that increases our points by approximately 10%, highly significant as we get into March. Listen, we can score and with Azzi coming back you have 3 bona fide killers from the arc, including CD( yes, she is ) and Lou. To me, that is key right now, no more sloppiness with the ball.

Caroline had her best game this year but she is not all the way back. When she is, you will see a machine out there. She has not been successful with her pull up much this year. That will come last but makes her a very tough out.

I see Nika as one of the. best PGs in the country right now and improving every game. Today was just great for her and she looked like an AA out there. Her assist numbers are gaudy. How great to be a big with the ball in her hands on the break? Just run, she will find you.

Who worked with Aaliyah over the summer? Whoever it was, what an incredible job not to mention Leah's dedication. Just a different player. That drive to the left and finish with the left hand was spectacular.

I know many of us love Ines but she is only a freshman and has to get rid of certain habits. First you don't pick up your dribble without knowing where you are passing it. Secondly, less dribbling is better and she will develop more speed with the ball on the front of the break as she gets stronger.

I think in general we just need tightening. Now we know the current team and rotation. If we stay healthy we get better exponentially. We played really well today except for some periods of "unfocus" and we get to heal more with the week off before the January onslaught. Like I said in a prior post, we are coming together. We have a lot of talent and some real surprises this year in Lou, Aaliyah and Nika. Feeling very sanguine about our chances this year despite everything.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
This team moves the ball faster than just about anybody. That, and the fact that different players are running in and out makes for some mistakes. I think the concern about turnovers is a bit overblown.
Not so. The last two games the opponent has scored 18 points off turnovers. A turnover is a lost possession, a lost opportunity to score and an opportunity for the opponent to score.

Most of the turnovers result from really awful passes. Some of them coming from Muhl. I have never seen such a poor passing UConn team as this one.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I suggested "baby steps" forward for Caroline would be sufficient
Those were awfully big baby steps.

A rejuvenated Caroline makes the team that much harder to play.
Good win...will be a good feeling coming back from the holidays

Reaction Score
I've read somewhere Lou gets the benefit of having Azzi on the floor...did Nika and Caroline get the benefit of having Lou on the floor today? :rolleyes:
100%. The defensive strategy for Seton Hall was to deny, take her out of the game and let every other guard beat them. They swarmed her everytime she touched the ball and decided to leave Nika open until Nika she made them play, which opened up the floor.

Nika's play was huge and shows just how diverse she can be. Her shot looked great but more importantly, she knew she needed to take them, if left open. CD prepped this team accordingly.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
No, I don't necessarily mean FLOPPING....just falling down, or bumped down.

Reactions: DD2

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom