UConn "Secret" Scrimmages | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn "Secret" Scrimmages

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Ah it seems only a few small years ago we scrimmaged Providence and got our doors blown off.

Reaction Score
I’d rather the Good Guys secret scrimmage against real competition, like Harvard and UVA, than play exhibitions against a D2 team and a school that was known as an online university even before Covid reared its ugly head.
Virginia’s people haven’t released any information about the scrimmage, either. It’s almost as if that’s a completely normal way to handle it. I‘m glad people are excited, though.
As a fan, I want to be entertained. College basketball (in anything past a club level) exists solely because it is entertainment. Samson Johnson dunking on a 5'8 guy in an exhibition is fun. The new Euro guys bombing 3s with 7 minutes left up 40 is fun. In lieu of that, stats and tidbits from playing a mostly organized game against a top 25 team would be extremely interesting. Give the people what they want!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Give the people what they want!
Yes, there are Better Things Back to Front, but when you Add it Up, we can take A Little Bit of Abuse if they Yo-Yo Around the Dial and keep it Predictable. Personally, I am an Art Lover, so I want Hawk to develop those Killer's Eyes and turn into a real Destroyer.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
As a fan, I want to be entertained. College basketball (in anything past a club level) exists solely because it is entertainment. Samson Johnson dunking on a 5'8 guy in an exhibition is fun. The new Euro guys bombing 3s with 7 minutes left up 40 is fun. In lieu of that, stats and tidbits from playing a mostly organized game against a top 25 team would be extremely interesting. Give the people what they want!
This is the same argument I'd use for First Night. Give me my mindless basketball entertainment.

Reaction Score
Yes, there are Better Things Back to Front, but when you Add it Up, we can take A Little Bit of Abuse if they Yo-Yo Around the Dial and keep it Predictable. Personally, I am an Art Lover, so I want Hawk to develop those Killer's Eyes and turn into a real Destroyer.
The problem is, they will be working out the Kinks until Andre Jackson returns.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I got a little info from a UVA guy I trust, take it for whatever its worth, this could always be a Purple Monkey Dishwasher scenario (one for the Simpsons fans), but I trust him.

-confirming, Virginia won 75-69
-Kadin Shedrick was best player
-UConn and UVA did a 5 and 5 rotation so full first team then full second team, not the blended thing you see in the season
-UVA won both halves narrowly

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I got a little info from a UVA guy I trust, take it for whatever its worth, this could always be a Purple Monkey Dishwasher scenario (one for the Simpsons fans), but I trust him.

-confirming, Virginia won 75-69
-Kadin Shedrick was best player
-UConn and UVA did a 5 and 5 rotation so full first team then full second team, not the blended thing you see in the season
-UVA won both halves narrowly
Did Alex play?

Reaction Score
A3163C02-0F84-4800-B275-554C6C98B71A.jpeg
providence’s new 5 seems to be really good

Reaction Score
So here's what we know or surmise:

UConn played two nearly even halves against a Top 16 team (#4 seed in Lunardi's latest bracketology) and did so without AJ and probably without Karaban.

Virgina is a cohesive veteran team returning nine juniors, seniors and grads led by a 5th year point guard who
scored 25 points against Duke last year

UConn is a newly-assembled group of guys still trying to develop a team chemistry and still trying to identify its floor leadership.

All in all, an encouraging result.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Virginia is also top 5 at kenpom before the season starts. Which I know doesn’t mean much, but they are supposed to be really good.

Reaction Score
So here's what we know or surmise:

UConn played two nearly even halves against a Top 16 team (#4 seed in Lunardi's latest bracketology) and did so without AJ and probably without Karaban.

Virgina is a cohesive veteran team returning nine juniors, seniors and grads led by a 5th year point guard who
scored 25 points against Duke last year

UConn is a newly-assembled group of guys still trying to develop a team chemistry and still trying to identify its floor leadership.

All in all, an encouraging result.
Also, on twitter HurleyMania said that the scrimmage was starting 5 v starting 5, then second 5 v second 5. I’d be curious to know who was on each unit with no Jackson & Karaban.

Starters: Newton/Hawkins/Alleyne/Samson/Sanogo

Second: Diarra/Joey/Springs/Clingan/??? One of the Europeans?

We supposedly lost each half by 2-3 points. If we did that against Kenpom’s #5 team without one definitive starter (possibly 2), then we are going to be a top 10 team in the country.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Speaking of preseason games, does any video exist of the GOAT of UConn exhibition games? The 1989 game versus the Russian National Team. It was sick.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom