UConn Secret Scrimmage | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn Secret Scrimmage

Reaction Score
On the other hand, we need Clingan to build up rapport with our new guards.

He got a ton of his points off of lobs from Jackson and Calcaterra, who are no longer here. He needs to develop that with Castle, Spencer, Ball, etc.
They had the foreign tour exhibitions and the extras practices running up to them. It would be more concerning if they didn't have that extended time practicing.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Such an annoying statement, my least favorite aspect of the Hurley regime is the "secret scrimmage" actual secrecy. And it seems they scrimmage Virginia intentionally in part because they also take the secrecy seriously. But the omerta serves no purpose that I can think of. Other teams leak entire box scores and the Xavier game had a guy calling actual play by play radio-style on Spaces (this last one might be against the rules, though).

If you have time to give a quote about the Internet randos getting it wrong, you have time to whisper a few interesting tidbits to the same reporter. Hopefully he spills some beans at Big East Media Day tomorrow. The Virginia scrimmage, even though it's not a real game, will be the most interesting basketball the team plays until Indiana a month from now. Give us more than a headline.
He is teaching. It was a scrimmage so mistakes don’t hurt as much. No crowd no momentum switching plays, so as a coach he has to assume the worst when we come down twice and don’t get a shot off or we take a super contested three. He is looking for the small mistakes that kill you in a packed road venue. You would have to be perfect to get any praise from him right now. Praise right now is when he is not talking about you.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
This tells me the leaked information is 100% correct
What he said in the article as headlines were exactly the same things being said on the yard. I give us a B+ or A- on accuracy of information. So Samson, Castle and Karaban were singled out. I wonder about the rest of the team. The three he mentions and Clingan are probably the core of the team. So they should shine in a scrimmage. It’s the rotation that he is still stressing over. Why do I get the sense that Solo had a few plays were he may have been loose with the ball and a bit out of control.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Probably makes 2-3x what he did coaching with about 500x less stress and actual work. Usually once you the jump to TV, you don't come back. (unless you're a moron like Sean Payton)
I always find it crazy/almost tragic when people’s ego trumps their own self interest let alone their family’s. Easier to see clearly when you haven’t been tempted like Payton has, but seriously what a moron.

Reaction Score
I might get flack for saying this, but I think Newton is our best player right now. Super confident, great shooter, obviously takes what the defense gives.

Not saying Steph won’t pass him up as we get deeper into the season
I think karaban is best player with dc out. He is so unselfish, just steps up when needed.

Reaction Score
Such an annoying statement, my least favorite aspect of the Hurley regime is the "secret scrimmage" actual secrecy. And it seems they scrimmage Virginia intentionally in part because they also take the secrecy seriously. But the omerta serves no purpose that I can think of. Other teams leak entire box scores and the Xavier game had a guy calling actual play by play radio-style on Spaces (this last one might be against the rules, though).

If you have time to give a quote about the Internet randos getting it wrong, you have time to whisper a few interesting tidbits to the same reporter. Hopefully he spills some beans at Big East Media Day tomorrow. The Virginia scrimmage, even though it's not a real game, will be the most interesting basketball the team plays until Indiana a month from now. Give us more than a headline.
Blue-White open practice scrimmage in 2 days. Competition will likely be better than that in the UVA secret scrimmage. More to learn from it…. ;)

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Smackdown Live What GIF by WWE

caw

Reaction Score

If true, and I just can't be bothered to check, that's a good thing for you guys in many ways. Not a fan of English's stunts so far, but I get it. He doesn't seem as snakeoily as Cooley. I reserve the right to change my mind if he starts recruiting UConn players mid-season like Cooley.

Reaction Score
If the reports are true and we scored 76 against VA that’s a good sign (assuming normal rules and game time ) — only one team scored more points on UVA last year. Yes , I know they have a bunch of new players but I still think that’s a good sign.

Giving up 71 to UVA is not great but tells me that UConn pushed the pace of the game more than anything (especially after scoring 76).

If Newton had 4 points and 11 assists that tells
me UVA either game planned to stop him, or
he had a poor shooting night or a combination of both. My gut is a little of both but more towards the game plan to stop him as he had double digit assists

If teams game plan to stop newton that will take focus off castle , newton and caraban…. good luck with that.

The Ball / Johnson news is ideal as our bench production has a bunch of talented players that are not proven on the college level. Bench production is the biggest unknown on this team.

Reaction Score
assuming normal rules and game time
This is almost never the case with these scrimmages, so without knowing specifics it's impossible to have any context for the total points

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe that's a good thing? I'm curious to see how English does this season.

Reaction Score
Hurley said he sees a possibility of Clingan and Samson playing together. Gheez that would be a big lineup.

Reaction Score
Hurley in the article said we were "high assist" in the scrimmage.

The concern of some Virginia fans is that the high assist numbers for UConn is indicative of the fact that UVa's new front court players are missing defensive assignments. There's a steep learning curve for them on the defensive end which is why so many in the past have redshirted. Or, it may mean that UConn is moving the ball exceptionally well. Probably, a combination of the two, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom