UConn Secret Scrimmage | The Boneyard

UConn Secret Scrimmage

Reaction Score
Here’s a list of all secret scrimmages:

UVA is so disciplined on defense, so I really like playing them as an early season test.

Can’t beat a pack line D without shooters and we’ve got quite a few!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's tough for fans to process that the score doesn't matter. They are trying stuff. We are trying stuff. We are doing things we might not do in games. They are doing things they might not do in games. How many points Samson scores is meaningless but we all want the box score.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
UVA is the perfect team to secret scrimmage against. You know they are going to play great defense and on offense they are going to make you play good defense to the bitter end!!

Reaction Score
It's tough for fans to process that the score doesn't matter.
What’s your take on non-secret exhibitions between two D1 teams?

I’m seeing my first one in two weeks: UMBC at Fordham. To me, even though it “doesn’t count” I expect a well played game that won’t look or feel that different than a non-con game where the home team is favored.

Reaction Score

UVA is so disciplined on defense, so I really like playing them as an early season test.

Only thing I don't really love about it is that UVA plays a very different defense than we generally see in the Big East though. They're forcing middle, running achingly slow and playing the pack. Most Big East teams are pressuring the ball, playing fast and forcing the ball baseline.

It doesn't really matter though. Bennett probably has a similar philosophy to Hurley with these scrimmages, and if it was a learning experience last year, it's great to keep it going.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It's tough for fans to process that the score doesn't matter. They are trying stuff. We are trying stuff. We are doing things we might not do in games. They are doing things they might not do in games. How many points Samson scores is meaningless but we all want the box score.
The score matters when you get blown out vs. Providence like we did 6-7 years ago.

Reaction Score

I’m seeing my first one in two weeks: UMBC at Fordham. To me, even though it “doesn’t count” I expect a well played game that won’t look or feel that different than a non-con game where the home team is favored.
I think you can pick up some things of value from a scrimmage.

How much energy do guys play with? How much energy does the team bring? Who has a good handle, or shot, or impressive physicality? Who's vocal? Does someone look like a man against boys?

In my opinion, I could be wrong, expecting a well played game is a bridge too far. The coach might want to put his team in poor situations. Or he might want a player to work on a weakness. Or to see a someone playing out of position. That would affect the score and the quality of play but not mean much. Without knowing the coach's goal for the scrimmage I think it's pretty hard to know what it bodes for the team.

Reaction Score
Only thing I don't really love about it is that UVA plays a very different defense than we generally see in the Big East though. They're forcing middle, running achingly slow and playing the pack. Most Big East teams are pressuring the ball, playing fast and forcing the ball baseline.

It doesn't really matter though. Bennett probably has a similar philosophy to Hurley with these scrimmages, and if it was a learning experience last year, it's great to keep it going.
They played them in a secret scrimmage last year and it turned out alright

Reaction Score
They played them in a secret scrimmage last year and it turned out alright

That's what I mean when I say it doesn't really matter. I don't think UVA's style of play is great for prepping for our season because it's so different than most teams. But if Bennett has the same approach and flexibility that Hurley wants during these things, then that is going to be more important.

Reaction Score

Keith Urgo is a good coach- happy to see Fordham get some excitement going. The rose hill gym might be a glorified high school gym, but it’s a great place to watch a game.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
That's what I mean when I say it doesn't really matter. I don't think UVA's style of play is great for prepping for our season because it's so different than most teams. But if Bennett has the same approach and flexibility that Hurley wants during these things, then that is going to be more important.
Probably more about dealing with stressors than with tactical prep. Last year certainly did highlight the difference between nBE and OOC though.

pj

Reaction Score

That's a good thing. The secret to winning the NCAA tourney is being able to succeed against a variety of styles. The more styles you sample over the course of the year, the better your chances.

Reaction Score

“A list of secret scrimmages”

If that’s not an oxymoron……..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom