UConn Secret Scrimmage | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn Secret Scrimmage

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hoping for better defense from SJ. Gonna be a long season if SJ does not defend down in the post well.
My expectation is that SJ is going to be hedging and blitzing ball screens rather than sitting in drop and blocking shots. So rim protection falls to everyone else. It's the same as the criticism of Adama's rim protection that often came when it wasn't his responsibility. Johnson can block shots better than Sanogo could. With Karaban out, that leaves Castle and Ross/Stewart doing something they probably aren't used to and covering the paint when the 5 is out.

Reaction Score
My expectation is that SJ is going to be hedging and blitzing ball screens rather than sitting in drop and blocking shots. So rim protection falls to everyone else. It's the same as the criticism of Adama's rim protection that often came when it wasn't his responsibility. Johnson can block shots better than Sanogo could. With Karaban out, that leaves Castle and Ross/Stewart doing something they probably aren't used to and covering the paint when the 5 is out.
SJ actually has the perfect build for a normal hedge. Whaley was great at blitzing screens, Adama not so much (he had his moments), but SJ is so long and athletic that he should be able to hedge and recover pretty easily. Or at least disrupt passing lanes without having to blitz

I trust Andre Jackson and Tyrese Martin rotating down from the weak side to cover while the big is getting back to his man. Cam Spencer, Stephon Castle, Jayden Ross, Jaylin Stewart, Tristen Newton...not so much

Reaction Score
SJ actually has the perfect build for a normal hedge. Whaley was great at blitzing screens, Adama not so much (he had his moments), but SJ is so long and athletic that he should be able to hedge and recover pretty easily. Or at least disrupt passing lanes without having to blitz

I trust Andre Jackson and Tyrese Martin rotating down from the weak side to cover while the big is getting back to his man. Cam Spencer, Stephon Castle, Jayden Ross, Jaylin Stewart, Tristen Newton...not so much
We need Chief to chime in about the high hedge

• Haha
Reactions: caw
Reaction Score

I find the SJ potential improvements to be so important. I mean he was a fouling machine in his short stints, has he overcome that? No doubt he has the athletic ability and God knows I hope he’s everything I’m hearing. Just can’t wait to see it and honestly, I have to!!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Exactly. That’s why I’m not so worried about Harvard scoring in the paint. Most likely that was a result of our guys who have to learn how to do what Andre and Tyrese did, not being good at it yet. It’s also tough because when Clingan is in they behave differently.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom