UConn Scary Good | The Boneyard

UConn Scary Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
WOW what a run. Finally UConn got healthy, except for Stef and although she wasn't 100% she was effective. I can only imagine how much better UConn will be next season. Will they have any competition? Winning 6 games in the NCAAs by an average of 35 pts makes me wonder. The offensive show will be unbelievable next season. Unstoppable comes to mind, so does undefeated.
Saniya will see a lot of time. BB will be back, Stef will be healthy. Kiah we hope will be ready. Another question will be how many points will they average and how many points will they give up. Duke MD and Stanford are on the schedule and hopefully ND maybe the Jimmy V Classic and maybe Cal in MSG for the Maggie Dixon Classic. I really don't see any team standing in UConns way unless UConn sustains major injuries and even if they do this season they lost to ND and Baylor and Diggins and Griner are gone. The skys the limit for UConn for the next couple of years. Pick up a good post and Geno just may have 15 NCs.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I said in another post that I think UCONN's season record for PPG (91.2 PPG in 1998) will be in jeopardy. We simply have too many offensive weapons and too much experience across the board.

I think BB will come along slowly, but by the time it's important (NCAA tournament) she will be a solid part of the rotation again. Until then, much will depend on MoJeff's sophomore jump or lack thereof. If she makes the big sophomore jump, as Geno says all the top players do, we will be truly frightening. If not, then we will still be thin at the guard spot but with a healthy Bria we will still be in good shape. I am not relying on the freshman Chong to be an impact player -- if she is, it's like icing on the cake. I'm putting more on MoJeff's shoulders. If healthy, Bria will be a fantabulous 2-guard for us next year, running the point here and there as needed, particularly if BB is on the court at the same time.

I am going to assume that Stewie will continue to be great, though of course she could have more ups and downs. But I think she made a huge breakthrough in the Tournament. Even if she gets no better next year, where she's at now is already spectacular.

This is why I think the "key" is MoJeff. If she really takes control and can handle the point against top competition for 25-30 mins per game, this should be a legendary squad even by UCONN standards. Maybe she can spend a little time this summer at Point Guard College. It has worked well for other UCONN guards in the past.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
WOW what a run. Finally UConn got healthy, except for Stef and although she wasn't 100% she was effective. I can only imagine how much better UConn will be next season. Will they have any competition? Winning 6 games in the NCAAs by an average of 35 pts makes me wonder. The offensive show will be unbelievable next season. Unstoppable comes to mind, so does undefeated.
Saniya will see a lot of time. BB will be back, Stef will be healthy. Kiah we hope will be ready. Another question will be how many points will they average and how many points will they give up. Duke MD and Stanford are on the schedule and hopefully ND maybe the Jimmy V Classic and maybe Cal in MSG for the Maggie Dixon Classic. I really don't see any team standing in UConns way unless UConn sustains major injuries and even if they do this season they lost to ND and Baylor and Diggins and Griner are gone. The skys the limit for UConn for the next couple of years. Pick up a good post and Geno just may have 15 NCs.
Damn, all this negativity Tony. We may have to change your name to Megatron. ;)

As strange as this may sound, I may have to agree with you Tony, I could see an undefeated season next year. :D . Although 8 is gr8t, we are in line for #9.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree with VA that MoJeff is really the key. Losing 2 guards is tough (graduation). I hope starters will be Moriah, Briah, KML, Stewie and Stef. Our bench will be sick too. Saniya, Brianna, Pope, Morgan and Kiah.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score

As strange as this may sound, I may have to agree with you Tony, I could see an undefeated season next year. :D . Although 8 is gr8t, we are in line for #9.

"Nine is fine"

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

Although 8 is gr8t, we are in line for #9.

I'm going for "9 is fine"

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Or as a UConn fan, can I say "9 is mine"?

Reaction Score
Tony:
Why did you chuckle when I said UConn by 23 over ND, and UConn over lv by 20 at the half and 40 at the end...???
But here's the summer plan:
Breanna S, 30 pounds of the bench 5 inches in the dead vertical jump
Stefanie D, 25 pounds on the bench, 6 inches in the vertical, 10-15 pounds down
Moriah J, quick release 3 pt shot ... point guard school
Kiah S. Review Tina C. senior films, 30 pounds off the bench
Morgan T, One on One with Kiah and TC moves, 20 pounds on the bench
Kaleena M-L, Elevated 3 Pt
Bria H, full speed pull, 1st step travel,
Brianna B, Get well.
All guards pick and punch steal timing, How to study opposition guard films.
Going to send the 6"8" Big, to Stonington and let Heather train her for 2 years...
Anything else you need...TC ..???

Reaction Score
I think the "key" is MoJeff. If she really takes control and can handle the point against top competition for 25-30 mins per game, this should be a legendary squad even by UCONN standards.
Couldn't agree more. Even if MoJeff is only a bit better, we'll be heavy favorites for #9. But if she can make a big leap, watch out.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Next Year:

Moriah Jefferson - top 5 point guard in the country.

Bria Hartley - top 3 shooting guard in the country.

KML - The best small forward in the country.

Stewart - The best power forward in the country.

Dolson - The best Center in the country.

As long as they stay healthy: I think this spells trouble for just about everybody else.

Now off the bench:

Morgan Tuck will be one of the top 5 most improved players from the previous year

Kiah Stokes - "X" factor...could be scary good next year

Brianna Banks - Great lock down defender, decent three point shooter, lots of energy off the bench.

Saniya Chong - "XX" factor...will she live up to her billing? Will she contribute right away?

Reaction Score
Next Year:

Moriah Jefferson - top 5 point guard in the country.

Bria Hartley - top 3 shooting guard in the country.

KML - The best small forward in the country.

Stewart - The best power forward in the country.

Dolson - The best Center in the country.

As long as they stay healthy: I think this spells trouble for just about everybody else.

Now off the bench:

Morgan Tuck will be one of the top 5 most improved players from the previous year

Kiah Stokes - "X" factor...could be scary good next year

Brianna Banks - Great lock down defender, decent three point shooter, lots of energy off the bench.

Saniya Chong - "XX" factor...will she live up to her billing? Will she contribute right away?

Get me some shades!

But seriously, hard to find fault with any of this. (Except I'd rate Chiney ahead of Dolson, but that's a nit.)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Given how well Brianna Banks was playing before her injury we are going to have great competition for the PG position and the 2.

Consider a line up of Dolson 6'5" (5), Tuck 6'2" (4) Stewart 6'4" and KML 6'0" (3 and 2) and your choice of Bria, MoJeff or Brianna at the (1). Size, shooting, defense, yikes!

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score

Hi Tony!
Typically the Achilles is ready for serious activity in about 6 months. Do we know how severe Banks's injury was and how she's progressing? Was she casted? I had hoped we might sign one more guard as an insurance policy but there really isn't anyone left in the top 100 unless we find a transfer somewhere. Saniya was hounded so much the past 2 years she may do very well next year being covered only by one player and may make an impact faster than expected.

Reaction Score
Saniya will have an impact next year. WIth all the talent surrounding her, and her willingness to be a part of a team, she will be incredible. Most people only know how many points she scored. An incredible passer, rebounder, defender, and shot blocker, she is going to surprise many by how well she plays her freshman season.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Saniya will have an impact next year. WIth all the talent surrounding her, and her willingness to be a part of a team, she will be incredible. Most people only know how many points she scored. An incredible passer, rebounder, defender, and shot blocker, she is going to surprise many by how well she plays her freshman season.
I hope so. However I am not expecting too much from her next year. I don't expect her to have as much impact as Jefferson did this year. And I didn't think Jefferson had that much impact. Jefferson came in as one of the highest rated PGs ever. Chong isn't nearly as highly rated.

But I hope the ratings people were wrong. I would love to be pleasantly surprised. :)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I really expect UConn to break more records next season . The average scoring record for sure. Their dominance will be unbelievable. When I said "IF" we got EDD along with Maya and Tina we would go 195-0 people laughed. Well Im not predicting 195-0 with this group but IMO Breanna is the next EDD as only a soph next season. Add KML Stef and that's a great 3some. Along with Morgan who will be a do everything soph next season and Bria back and healthy and the show will be run by General Jefferson. Saniya will be a surprise to everyone. Kiah will be developed to replace Stef as next season is her last. When you have the defense that UConn has and the athletic height and speedy guards well that's a mismatch for any team. There will be no Griner of Diggins. There will be no injuries and flu like this past season. There will be no freshman learning the system like this season. All the ingrediants for Number 9 Number 9 and in Tenn it dosnt get any better then that. Not even I could've dream Number 9 in Tenn.

Reaction Score
With Moriah turning the corner next year (she will...and faster than anyone, as usual), Brianna coming back strong, and Saniya doing just what she already does...Bria leads a back court group that can be the perfect complement to our All American front court. Get out your track shoes...

Reaction Score

I got to see her play here in person in Albany and was very impressed with her passing. It's hard when your team is overmatched and they can focus so much on you. Her range is going to be interesting. She can hit 3's 3-4 feet behond the 3 point line. Did you see her often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom