UConn Scary Good | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Scary Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I saw her in person in New Orleans and was very happy. Hard to draw too much of a conclusion from an All-star game, but I came way impressed with Loyd last year, and that turned out to be the right impression.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
When I said "IF" we got EDD along with Maya and Tina we would go 195-0 people laughed.
Your memory and my memory really aren't the same on that. ;)

Well Im not predicting 195-0 with this group but IMO Breanna is the next EDD as only a soph next season. Add KML Stef and that's a great 3some. Along with Morgan who will be a do everything soph next season and Bria back and healthy and the show will be run by General Jefferson. Saniya will be a surprise to everyone. Kiah will be developed to replace Stef as next season is her last. When you have the defense that UConn has and the athletic height and speedy guards well that's a mismatch for any team. There will be no Griner of Diggins. There will be no injuries and flu like this past season.
I agree with most of that. But there are always injuries. Unfortunately. Hopefully though they won't be so nagging or season ending.

Reaction Score
I hope so. However I am not expecting too much from her next year. I don't expect her to have as much impact as Jefferson did this year. And I didn't think Jefferson had that much impact. Jefferson came in as one of the highest rated PGs ever. Chong isn't nearly as highly rated.

But I hope the ratings people were wrong. I would love to be pleasantly surprised. :)

If Chong is good enough to be in the rotation, even five minutes, I'll be more than satisfied. If she's not but shows indications that she'll be in the rotation sophomore year, that would be ok too.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If Chong is good enough to be in the rotation, even five minutes, I'll be more than satisfied. If she's not but shows indications that she'll be in the rotation sophomore year, that would be ok too.
I hope she gets used do to her ability and not out of necessity (injuries to Hartley, Jefferson and Banks). We are a little short on guards next year.

Hartley and Jefferson
Not sure what we'll get from:
Banks coming off an injury
Chong a freshmen
Pope a walk-on.

I guess KML can play the 2 if needed. But not really a ball handler. I would expect Chong to log some decent minutes though, particularly in blow-outs and there will be plenty of those.

Reaction Score
I hope she gets used do to her ability and not out of necessity (injuries to Hartley, Jefferson and Banks). We are a little short on guards next year.
Well, one thing with Geno, things have to get really bad for him to play someone out of necessity. He'll go six deep if he doesn't think #7 deserves the PT.

Reaction Score
WOW what a run. Finally UConn got healthy, except for Stef and although she wasn't 100% she was effective. I can only imagine how much better UConn will be next season. Will they have any competition? Winning 6 games in the NCAAs by an average of 35 pts makes me wonder. The offensive show will be unbelievable next season. Unstoppable comes to mind, so does undefeated.
Saniya will see a lot of time. BB will be back, Stef will be healthy. Kiah we hope will be ready. Another question will be how many points will they average and how many points will they give up. Duke MD and Stanford are on the schedule and hopefully ND maybe the Jimmy V Classic and maybe Cal in MSG for the Maggie Dixon Classic. I really don't see any team standing in UConns way unless UConn sustains major injuries and even if they do this season they lost to ND and Baylor and Diggins and Griner are gone. The skys the limit for UConn for the next couple of years. Pick up a good post and Geno just may have 15 NCs.
I disagree Tonyc. You are forgetting about the Miami Heat. In my opinion, Lebron James is too good of a player to let Uconn . . . . . . . wait . . . . . . . that's a different league, right? Hmmm. . . On second thought, you may be right. Yeah. I agree. Pretty unstoppable. My mistake.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think in conference we will see a lot of time for mop up duty and rest for starters and with Chong as good at both passing and scoring as she is, the end of games could be quite prolific.

HGN

Reaction Score
Given how well Brianna Banks was playing before her injury we are going to have great competition for the PG position and the 2.

Consider a line up of Dolson 6'5" (5), Tuck 6'2" (4) Stewart 6'4" and KML 6'0" (3 and 2) and your choice of Bria, MoJeff or Brianna at the (1). Size, shooting, defense, yikes!
Ice , I think you could be on to something.........KML could easily slide over to the 2-guard spot , allowing for Morgan to come in at the 3 or 4-spot. With Dolson at the 5 , Stewie at the 3 or 4 spot , Morgan at the 4 or 3 . With either Bria , MoJeff , or Banks at the 1 . Talk about a devastating offensive lineup !! And all that with Kiah and Chong ready to come in off the bench.........Scary.

D

DanDar

I am not sure whether KML's handle is good enough for a full time 2. I like KML at 4 with stewie at 3 or vice versa. I'd play Hartley at 2 and MJ at 1. She only had trouble with Diggins and she is gone. MJ took apart Maryland and Kentucky which tells me that she will be good enough to run the point.

Only if Saniya is not good enough I'd slide KML to 2 to give rest to either Hartley or Jefferson. Tuck can come in to help rest KML or Stewie. That should be good for 20 minutes per game. Stokes can come in to rest Dolson and that should be good for 15 minutes per game. It should be a nice 8 player rotation next year. 7 if Chong can't play which I doubt.

Reaction Score
I said in another post that I think UCONN's season record for PPG (91.2 PPG in 1998) will be in jeopardy. We simply have too many offensive weapons and too much experience across the board.

I think BB will come along slowly, but by the time it's important (NCAA tournament) she will be a solid part of the rotation again. Until then, much will depend on MoJeff's sophomore jump or lack thereof. If she makes the big sophomore jump, as Geno says all the top players do, we will be truly frightening. If not, then we will still be thin at the guard spot but with a healthy Bria we will still be in good shape. I am not relying on the freshman Chong to be an impact player -- if she is, it's like icing on the cake. I'm putting more on MoJeff's shoulders. If healthy, Bria will be a fantabulous 2-guard for us next year, running the point here and there as needed, particularly if BB is on the court at the same time.

I am going to assume that Stewie will continue to be great, though of course she could have more ups and downs. But I think she made a huge breakthrough in the Tournament. Even if she gets no better next year, where she's at now is already spectacular.

This is why I think the "key" is MoJeff. If she really takes control and can handle the point against top competition for 25-30 mins per game, this should be a legendary squad even by UCONN standards. Maybe she can spend a little time this summer at Point Guard College. It has worked well for other UCONN guards in the past.
Agree, MoJeff will decide whether we are just great or unbeatable.

Reaction Score
I hope so. However I am not expecting too much from her next year. I don't expect her to have as much impact as Jefferson did this year. And I didn't think Jefferson had that much impact. Jefferson came in as one of the highest rated PGs ever. Chong isn't nearly as highly rated.

But I hope the ratings people were wrong. I would love to be pleasantly surprised. :)
Can't agree, I think MoJeff had great impact even in the last two games.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Agree, MoJeff will decide whether we are just great or unbeatable.
I think MoJeff is the key to whether Uconn is unbeatable by the rest of wcbb in the 2013-14 season or one of the greatest teams ever assembled.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Can't agree, I think MoJeff had great impact even in the last two games.
She had more towards the end of the season, but still not a lot throughout the season.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I am not sure whether KML's handle is good enough for a full time 2. I like KML at 4 with stewie at 3 or vice versa. I'd play Hartley at 2 and MJ at 1. She only had trouble with Diggins and she is gone. MJ took apart Maryland and Kentucky which tells me that she will be good enough to run the point.

Only if Saniya is not good enough I'd slide KML to 2 to give rest to either Hartley or Jefferson. Tuck can come in to help rest KML or Stewie. That should be good for 20 minutes per game. Stokes can come in to rest Dolson and that should be good for 15 minutes per game. It should be a nice 8 player rotation next year. 7 if Chong can't play which I doubt.
Don't forget you will probably have Banks to come in before Chong. But I would agree, I'd prefer not using KML at the 2 all that much.

Reaction Score
a
I think MoJeff is the key to whether Uconn is unbeatable by the rest of wcbb in the 2013-14 season or one of the greatest teams ever assembled.
Agreed Alex. The next two years are gonna be fun.

Reaction Score
Saniya will have an impact next year. WIth all the talent surrounding her, and her willingness to be a part of a team, she will be incredible. Most people only know how many points she scored. An incredible passer, rebounder, defender, and shot blocker, she is going to surprise many by how well she plays her freshman season.
I think she is pretty skilled at the one thing that is extraordinarily difficult to teach. Shooting! She is a natural scorer and her ability to shoot from distance will help open up things for KML, Dolson and Stewart, not that this kids need any help! I'm hopeful Brianna Banks gets back to where she was by midseason and is a big contributor by years end.

Reaction Score

What I think is that the key element that Jefferson had coning in was blazing speed but she spent a considerable amount of the season learning to make an adjustment on utilizing that speed. Sometimes she played too quickly and was somewhat out of control. Beyond that, she is not nearly the shooter that Chong is. Chong has better size and a pretty impressive outside shot that should help the Huskies a lot. I personally think she'll be a bigger contributor in the UConn lineup than was Jefferson this past year, at least during the regular season. I thought that by season's end Jefferson had finally gotten control of her speed and quickness and as a result had a very impressive postseason where her speed created issues both offensively and defensively for our opponents.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Big problem for Geno, though; when it is time to put the scrubs in, there just ain't no scrubs!

Reaction Score
Tony:
Why did you chuckle when I said UConn by 23 over ND, and UConn over lv by 20 at the half and 40 at the end...???
But here's the summer plan:
Breanna S, 30 pounds of the bench 5 inches in the dead vertical jump
Stefanie D, 25 pounds on the bench, 6 inches in the vertical, 10-15 pounds down
Moriah J, quick release 3 pt shot ... point guard school
Kiah S. Review Tina C. senior films, 30 pounds off the bench
Morgan T, One on One with Kiah and TC moves, 20 pounds on the bench
Kaleena M-L, Elevated 3 Pt
Bria H, full speed pull, 1st step travel,
Brianna B, Get well.
All guards pick and punch steal timing, How to study opposition guard films.
Going to send the 6"8" Big, to Stonington and let Heather train her for 2 years...
Anything else you need...TC ..???
I would like to see Moriah with a nice pull up jumper like Bria. Since you are asking.

Reaction Score
I have seen Saniya play nine times in person. IMHO she has the basketball skills and physical abilities, to be a solid contributor for UConn from day one………and down the road….who knows!

Geno and staff love the fact that Saniya enjoys being a facilitator first (9.1 asst/gm) and a scorer second. She IS a great passer……you’ll see.

Geno and his staff also love the fact that Saniya can put the ball in the hole very effectively (34.4 pts /gm) and do it in a variety of ways: deep, midrange, penetration layup (either hand), teardrop, free throws and create her own shot when need be.

As a 5’9” senior guard, Saniya jumped center for her team, averaged 5.6 rebounds/gm, 4.8 steals/gm and 2 blocks/gm. She’s fast AND quick and has all the physical tools to be a great defender.

My only concern for Saniya, when she arrives at UConn and begins to compete for playing time, is the same concern I have for any of our new freshmen, trying to compete at the elite, Div 1 level. Can she physically and mentally adjust to the speed and physicality of practice and games? What is her mental state like as she tries to absorb the ins and outs of Geno’s defensive & offensive philosophies/schemes? Will she be able to maintain a positive attitude and not be overwhelmed by school, basketball and hitting the freshman wall? Each freshman reacts differently to these situations and I’m hoping that Saniya can successfully navigate to the end of the 2013-2014 season, with a similar mental state as Breanna, Moriah and Morgan had at the end of their freshman season.

From an article on the WBCA all star game:
Her teammates were impressed with Chong’s game.
“She is a great player, very quick, a great shooter and plays really hard,” Reimer said.
“I expect her to do great at UConn.”

Reaction Score
She'll have an easier time I think, because Breanna, Moriah, and Morgan just went through it, and should be able to help, she also won't have to be thrown into the fire so to speak.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She'll have an easier time I think, because Breanna, Moriah, and Morgan just went through it, and should be able to help, she also won't have to be thrown into the fire so to speak.
Other side of it is she is a 'class of one' so she will not have a teammate or two going through the same transition - I think that is a help and was for the current three. When things just seemed crazy they could go off in a corner and bitch together. Just not the same with the 'old hand' sophomores.
But I suspect she will do pretty well - and being relatively close to home will help.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Speaking of Mo:

Against ND, she bothered the heck out of Skylar and took some of the starch out of her.

In the two previous games she was at times, far and away the best guard on the floor.

No worries about this kid. Geno's figured it out.

She'll lead the team to the promised land…9-10 and onward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc