UConn S&C Instagram workout | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn S&C Instagram workout

Reaction Score
Compare us to other teams, we're pretty tiny.

Who, specifically? I'm not talking height--that can't be changed. I don't disagree, just want to know your take on this

Reaction Score
Who, specifically? I'm not talking height--that can't be changed. I don't disagree, just want to know your take on this
Our guards are just small and the guards we've brought in are skinny and physically weak. Not slighting them, I think Bouk and Gaffney are gonna be studs but they have to get stronger. Our swing guys/power forwards are all skinny and physically weak Sid/Polley/Akok. Carlton has put on weight and strength, he was physically weak as a freshman. Hopefully that negative is changed and can even become a plus.

C

Chief00

Then you see Cole who has spent two seasons not in Storrs...he is twice the size of the rest of the guys
We have a lot of catching up to do. Ideally, there should be some fun and enthusiasm about it too.
Another observation, while Chief likes the use of full body free weights, I also like pulling weights from above your head as you would on a rebound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
We have a lot of catching up to do. Ideally, there should be some fun and enthusiasm about it too.
Another observation, while Chief likes the use of full body free weights, I also pulling weights from above your head as you would on a rebound.

Genius, chief. I can't believe professional strength coaches haven't made the observation that pulling things down enough makes you stronger

C

Chief00

Compare us to other teams, we're pretty tiny.
Exactly, and we can over analyze and slice and dice but ultimately it’s the eye test and then the on court war competition which will validate Chief’s eye test once the First Night distraction is past.

C

Chief00

Genius, chief. I can't believe professional strength coaches haven't made the observation that pulling things down enough makes you stronger
It’s a specific targeted drill that helps with rebounding in crowds. It uses the same muscles as one would use to strongly get a rebound. This is exactly what Chief is talking about - smartly getting to the next level. It’s very competitive out there.
Update - Another key to rebounding is definitely lower body strength if you truly have guys who want to go to war on the boards. This helps with positioning and post defense.

Reaction Score
It’s a specific targeted drill that helps with rebounding in crowds. It uses the same muscles as one would use to strongly get a rebound. This is exactly what Chief is talking about - smartly getting to the next level. It’s very competitive out there.
Update - Another key to rebounding is definitely lower body strength if you truly have guys who want to go to war on the boards. This helps with positioning and post defense.

Chief, I think you don't understand me. What I'm saying is that your "insights" are mind-numbingly obvious, and already being performed by this team.

Reaction Score
Are these kids only benching 135? I get that benching is much tougher for taller people with long arms but yikes

C

Chief00

Today’s workout vid:

Sal is fine, stop cappin
Chief knows how to push the right buttons to get everyone to up their game be it S&C or recruiting. It’s nothing personal and it’s done constructively. In the last few days we are seeing improvements in both.
The power of Chief and granted the AD.
3 videos in last 6 days
None in September until 9/11
4 in the entire month August
Non in July
2 in June
Keep it coming Sal - you are on a roll!

Reaction Score
Are these kids only benching 135? I get that benching is much tougher for taller people with long arms but yikes

Heaviest lift I saw from each group... doing math in my head.. bear with me if I'm off lol

Whaley = 64kg = 140lb
Carlton = 80 kg = 175lb
Sid = 60kg = 130lb
Akok = 66kg = 145lb
Adams = 78kg = 170ish
Bouk = 60kg = 130lb
Gaffney = 68kg = 150lb
CV = 79kg = 175lb
Carlton = 90kg = 200lb ... Whaley was lifting with him, so I'm assuming he worked up to a similar weight.

Pretty common for basketball players to have a pretty bad bench. Hopefully some of these are on the low end and all of them were putting up a lot of reps today.

Looks like the lifting groups are Adams/AG, Sid/Polley, Akok/CV, The walk ons, Bouk/Gaffney, Whaley/Carlton

I like having CV with Akok. He's rumored to be kind of a quiet/shy guy. He will bring him out of his shell. Get him working hard in the gym too.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Heaviest lift I saw from each group... doing math in my head.. bear with me if I'm off lol

Whaley = 64kg = 140lb
Carlton = 80 kg = 175lb
Sid = 60kg = 130lb
Akok = 66kg = 145lb
Adams = 78kg = 170ish
Bouk = 60kg = 130lb
Gaffney = 68kg = 150lb
CV = 79kg = 175lb
Carlton = 90kg = 200lb ... Whaley was lifting with him, so I'm assuming he worked up to a similar weight.

Pretty common for basketball players to have a pretty bad bench. Hopefully some of these are on the low end and all of them were putting up a lot of reps today.

Looks like the lifting groups are Adams/AG, Sid/Polley, Akok/CV, The walk ons, Bouk/Gaffney, Whaley/Carlton

I like having CV with Akok. He's rumored to be kind of a quiet/shy guy. He will bring him out of his shell. Get him working hard in the gym too.

Is your 1st Carlton in that list supposed to be Springs?

Reaction Score
Benching half your max multiple times is a lot better workout than benching your max once.

pj

Reaction Score
It's not really a big deal, basketball players just aren't all that strong at lifting. They aren't all that far off many of the NBA combine guys in benching.

NBA combine bench press is 185 lb. Pulling is more important in basketball than pushing, for the upper body anyway, so it's not clear how relevant the bench press is to basketball.

C

Chief00

Thank you for making sure everyone is on task and that the players are getting as strong as they can possibly be.
It’s human nature to get complacent. Everyone needs a little button pushed occasionally and have things feel a little less comfortable. Of course, Calhoun was an absolute master at that extra motivation. While not at that level of motivators Chief will do his best to keep it real.

Reaction Score
NBA combine bench press is 185 lb. Pulling is more important in basketball than pushing, for the upper body anyway, so it's not clear how relevant the bench press is to basketball.
I know it's 185 lbs., as you can see on the list there are guys with 2 and 3 reps and even a couple with no reps. While I agree it's not that important, when you see the size of some of these guys it's hard to believe they can't do more.

Reaction Score
It’s human nature to get complacent. Everyone needs a little button pushed occasionally and have things feel a little less comfortable. Of course, Calhoun was an absolute master at that extra motivation. While not at that level of motivators Chief will do his best to keep it real.
Care to share Sal's Boneyard handle he's using to see this advice?

C

Chief00

Care to share Sal's Boneyard handle he's using to see this advice?
Handle associations are private per BY rules. But, the new frequency speaks for itself as well as feedback from the AD.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom