UConn S&C Instagram workout | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn S&C Instagram workout

Reaction Score
It’s a specific targeted drill that helps with rebounding in crowds. It uses the same muscles as one would use to strongly get a rebound. This is exactly what Chief is talking about - smartly getting to the next level. It’s very competitive out there.
Update - Another key to rebounding is definitely lower body strength if you truly have guys who want to go to war on the boards. This helps with positioning and post defense.
Rodman’s quads were huge!!!

Reaction Score
Are these kids only benching 135? I get that benching is much tougher for taller people with long arms but yikes
Basketball strength training is totally different now from what you may think is relevant. It’s not a collision sport. These kids aren’t touching much weight in high school

So much is skill-based now, I mean everyone looks at Durant who couldn’t bench his body weight coming out of college.

How many times you think Steph can push 185

Reaction Score
Basketball strength training is totally different now from what you may think is relevant

So much is skill-based now, I mean everyone looks at Durant who couldn’t bench his body weight coming out of college

No. Pulling weight down is good. Chief said so!

Reaction Score
No. Pulling weight down is good. Chief said so!
If I could assign the title “charlatan” to one person here it’d be that loser

Hurr durr Sal doesn’t know what he’s doing, they should be doing loaded pull downs for rebounding (lol @Chief00 please delineate that carryover to me) in a thread where there’s a video kids are doing close-grip pullups/chinups

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Heaviest lift I saw from each group... doing math in my head.. bear with me if I'm off lol

Whaley = 64kg = 140lb
Carlton = 80 kg = 175lb
Sid = 60kg = 130lb
Akok = 66kg = 145lb
Adams = 78kg = 170ish
Bouk = 60kg = 130lb
Gaffney = 68kg = 150lb
CV = 79kg = 175lb
Carlton = 90kg = 200lb ... Whaley was lifting with him, so I'm assuming he worked up to a similar weight.

Pretty common for basketball players to have a pretty bad bench. Hopefully some of these are on the low end and all of them were putting up a lot of reps today.

Looks like the lifting groups are Adams/AG, Sid/Polley, Akok/CV, The walk ons, Bouk/Gaffney, Whaley/Carlton

I like having CV with Akok. He's rumored to be kind of a quiet/shy guy. He will bring him out of his shell. Get him working hard in the gym too.
I like the energy level in the room much more today.
Cole looks the most comfortable in the weight room.
I notice the guys cheating a bit on the negatives in the bench, except for Cole.

Reaction Score
I like the energy level in the room much more today.
Cole looks the most comfortable in the weight room.
I notice the guys cheating a bit on the negatives in the bench, except for Cole.
There’s no “cheating” on a negative unless it is specifically programmed to a given cadence. The functional movement is the push. Granted, there is explosive benefit to doing so, but the load would be lower, and you’d see evidence of a programmed cadence. These dudes aren’t exactly bouncing the weight off their chest

Good god so many of you need to get out of this lane

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There’s no “cheating” on a negative unless the negative is specifically programmed to a given cadence. The functional movement is the push.

Good god so many of you need to get out of this lane
I'm sure you're right. That's just different than what I was taught back in the day.

C

Chief00

Basketball strength training is totally different now from what you may think is relevant. It’s not a collision sport. These kids aren’t touching much weight in high school

So much is skill-based now, I mean everyone looks at Durant who couldn’t bench his body weight coming out of college.

You ever go to some of the college/pro training facilities around the country? Chief has.
Despite the game changing somewhat, strength and conditioning now is a much bigger part of the picture. During the off-season many guys have a personal trainer, if they live away from their team’s pro complex.
Shabazz is an example of someone who became very serious about getting his body right for the draft and then throughout his pro career during the season/off-season.
Summer jobs in college are almost unheard of at high D1 except for very accommodating (wink/wink) jobs/work study since the off season is about getting better and improving their bodies.

Do Curry and Durant workout in the gym other than on basketball skills? I don’t have personal first hand current knowledge but I would be shocked if they didn’t.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

If I could assign the title “charlatan” to one person here it’d be that loser

Hurr durr Sal doesn’t know what he’s doing, they should be doing loaded pull downs for rebounding (lol @Chief00 please delineate that carryover to me) in a thread where there’s a video kids are doing close-grip pullups/chinups

Perhaps you are too close to things or know someone involved as a friend so it’s hard to be objective? I understand.

And yes as contrary to a “Charlatan” I do have knowledge on the communication/directive going on regarding this subject and perhaps you don’t?

But, Chief has never said anyone involved doesn’t work hard, mean well or is poorly educated on the subject matter. What I have said (and I will be kind), is that we are behind our competition, for whatever reason, and playing catch-up. The people in power know this and now Sal is doing a better job of publicizing what he is doing to try to close the gap and more than that - making changes to a more heavy metal approach rather than the things they previously focused on. Of course, they did or are doing some of various things before and after the the word came down, we have to do better and catch up sooner.
Quite frankly, it’s not only how many reps you do at this or that and at what weight but The Vibe and enthusiasm. Sal needed to work on that too since kids can do so much more if they are enthusiastic and energized about something.
I am glad Sal is making those tweaks, some of which are significant. Quite frankly, in this social media World today that kids live in - yes the videos are important to generate that enthusiasm and commitment. Not to keep bringing up Matt King. But, there is definitely something we can learn from him about having some fun and how that can actually help to achieve results.
Chief has never let personal friendships get in the way of improving things for the program. Chief has always welcomed constructive criticism as a way to get better. Quite frankly, in this imperfect and busy World, it doesn’t always get delivered or received in the ideal manner. But, it’s still generally progress and awareness toward improving something in which we need to get better at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
The videos are probably largely intended to market the athletic program to the public at large, but it's good if they are being specifically designed to motivate players and attract recruits. Those are two critical audiences.

I generally like the things Dave Benedict has brought to the athletic program, including more emphasis on marketing.

Reaction Score
Guys, the Chief influence is undeniable...4th post from Sal in the last few days. These are the kind of S&C things that I love to see!!!

716.gif

Reaction Score
Guys are looking good. I wouldn't worry about the bench press weight. They were going for high reps after already doing a pretty grueling full body workout. I love how focused Josh looks in all of Sal's videos.

Reaction Score
Perhaps you are too close to things or know someone involved as a friend so it’s hard to be objective? I understand.

And yes as contrary to a “Charlatan” I do have knowledge on the communication/directive going on regarding this subject and perhaps you don’t?

But, Chief has never said anyone involved doesn’t work hard, mean well or is poorly educated on the subject matter. What I have said (and I will be kind), is that we are behind our competition, for whatever reason, and playing catch-up. The people in power know this and now Sal is doing a better job of publicizing what he is doing to try to close the gap and more than that - making changes to a more heavy metal approach rather than the things they previously focused on. Of course, they did or are doing some of various things before and after the the word came down, we have to do better and catch up sooner.
Quite frankly, it’s not only how many reps you do at this or that and at what weight but The Vibe and enthusiasm. Sal needed to work on that too since kids can do so much more if they are enthusiastic and energized about something.
I am glad Sal is making those tweaks, some of which are significant. Quite frankly, in this social media World today that kids live in - yes the videos are important to generate that enthusiasm and commitment. Not to keep bringing up Matt King. But, there is definitely something we can learn from him about having some fun and how that can actually help to achieve results.
Chief has never let personal friendships get in the way of improving things for the program. Chief has always welcomed constructive criticism as a way to get better. Quite frankly, in this imperfect and busy World, it doesn’t always get delivered or received in the ideal manner. But, it’s still generally progress and awareness toward improving something in which we need to get better at.
This is all just empty words. Get out of this lane son.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Chief knows how to push the right buttons to get everyone to up their game be it S&C or recruiting. It’s nothing personal and it’s done constructively. In the last few days we are seeing improvements in both.
The power of Chief and granted the AD.
3 videos in last 6 days
None in September until 9/11
4 in the entire month August
Non in July
2 in June
Keep it coming Sal - you are on a roll!
There is no way in hell you caused Sal to make videos

Reaction Score
Chief not sure what you mean

Well, you see, the 827 views on his latest videos is reaching a large public audience so they know we are working on moving "heavy metal" around as part of our training program.

Reaction Score
Pull-ups are easy when you weigh 150
It’s all relative. If controlled for body composition, more weight implies more mass, which implies that relative strength should be higher given increased functional capacity. This is why powerlifters overeat like crazy. They don’t have to do body weight movements like a pull-up, but more muscle mass means more strength. I would think this is basic logic.

Now if you weigh more and are just fat, no kidding it’s less easy.

Reaction Score
It’s all relative. If controlled for body composition, more weight implies more mass, which implies that relative strength should be higher given increased functional capacity. This is why powerlifters overeat like crazy. They don’t have to do body weight movements like a pull-up, but more muscle mass means more strength. I would think this is basic logic.

Now if you weigh more and are just fat, no kidding it’s less easy.
Little strong guys are almost always better at pullups than big strong guys.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom