UConn recruiting speculation part 2 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn recruiting speculation part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This video on Twitter from 18 hours ago was, interestingly enough, reposted by Dawn Staley and LSU’s Asst. Coach Redus. I guess that confirms that South Carolina is still in the running along with LSU, North Carolina and UConn (amongst others?).

Reaction Score
Sarah Strong reposted on her Instagram a video posted by Oklahoma WBB showing highlights of Sahara Williams. Does anyone know what the connection between Sarah and Sahara is? Or is it a connection between Sarah and OU?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sarah Strong reposted on her Instagram a video posted by Oklahoma WBB showing highlights of Sahara Williams. Does anyone know what the connection between Sarah and Sahara is? Or is it a connection between Sarah and OU?
if you look at Instagram and who is following whom, you’ll see all of the top players follow one another. For example, Sarah is also following:

1C249DC9-2850-4002-BAFB-E55FDF53E636.jpeg
2AB9CE6D-1E4C-4778-A688-98A9713A9FE4.jpeg

Reaction Score
Players who choose the extra year do not count toward the scholarship limit. So if all four seniors elected to return, UConn could have 19 scholarship players.

Yes it does. That was only for the first year

Reaction Score

Sarah and Sahara played U18 3X3 together (with KK and Mikaylah Williams).

Reaction Score
This might be a stupid question, but if Caroline Ducharme were to medically retire (which I think could be a possibility at this point), would she still have a scholarship until she graduates? If she would no longer have a scholarship, that would be one potential way to free up a spot for another recruit/transfer. In my mind, it would make sense for Geno to recruit more players from the portal or be more open to having walk-on players due to the 3 consecutive seasons we’ve been plagued with injuries. So an abundance of players wouldn’t be the end of the world to me.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This might be a stupid question, but if Caroline Ducharme were to medically retire (which I think could be a possibility at this point), would she still have a scholarship until she graduates? If she would no longer have a scholarship, that would be one potential way to free up a spot for another recruit/transfer. In my mind, it would make sense for Geno to recruit more players from the portal or be more open to having walk-on players due to the 3 consecutive seasons we’ve been plagued with injuries. So an abundance of players wouldn’t be the end of the world to me.
If Caroline decided to quit the team, UConn might find an academic scholarship or grant for her so she could complete her degree. I believe that’s what happened with Kiersten Walters

Reaction Score
Yes, medical retirement means that she keeps her scholarship, but it does not count towards the team's limit. It would mean that she could not play for UConn again if she recovers though, but she could transfer and play out eligibility in the future.

Reaction Score
Yes, medical retirement means that she keeps her scholarship, but it does not count towards the team's limit. It would mean that she could not play for UConn again if she recovers though, but she could transfer and play out eligibility in the future.

That’s largely correct, but not entirely. There has been at least one recent occasion where a players career was believed to be over due to a heart condition. That player kept the scholarship, but the school was allowed to issue a new scholarship to bring in a new player. But a year or two later, it turned out that his condition was not in fact something that would prevent him from playing. They petitioned the NCAA and the athlete was allowed to again receive an athletic scholarship to resume his career with the same school.

Reaction Score
no this is definitely not a stupid question

Reaction Score
I haven’t heard her mentioned in awhile on the BY, but whatever happened to Juste Jocyte? Is there any chance she would play in college, or has she gone professional for Lithuania (I don’t quite understand all the rules about that). I looked at her Instagram and saw that Nika Muhl and Azzi Fudd were following her, which I believe Azzi wasn’t following her the last time I looked. Didn’t know if I shouldn’t even get my hopes up!

Reaction Score
It seems unusually difficult to get information about Caroline. Like, is she medically red-shirted for this season or not? Is there a treatment for her condition that would allow her to play next year? And finally, has anyone asked the UConn staff about this scholarship question on everyone's mind?

Reaction Score
It seems unusually difficult to get information about Caroline. Like, is she medically red-shirted for this season or not? Is there a treatment for her condition that would allow her to play next year? And finally, has anyone asked the UConn staff about this scholarship question on everyone's mind?
Everyone’s mind?! Not all of us.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Didn't Sasha Gorforth at Arkansas retire and then come back? [from a chronic GI problem]

Reaction Score
I haven’t heard her mentioned in awhile on the BY, but whatever happened to Juste Jocyte? Is there any chance she would play in college, or has she gone professional for Lithuania (I don’t quite understand all the rules about that). I looked at her Instagram and saw that Nika Muhl and Azzi Fudd were following her, which I believe Azzi wasn’t following her the last time I looked. Didn’t know if I shouldn’t even get my hopes up!
FWIW: according to Wikipedia, she has turned pro in Lithuania

sun

Reaction Score
I don't get that from the Wikipedia article. It hasn't been clear to me whether she is an unpaid amateur in a pro league or a paid pro.
The "junior" European pros can be paid enough money for expenses & still remain eligible for the NCAA.
I think the NCAA classifies the money as living expenses as opposed to working wages.

Reaction Score
The "junior" European pros can be paid enough money for expenses & still remain eligible for the NCAA.
I think the NCAA classifies the money as living expenses as opposed to working wages.
Also I would think if she had made a decision to not pursue the college option, someone would have discovered it and mentioned it here.

Reaction Score

A medical redshirt, which officially is a medical hardship waiver, cannot be applied for until after the season ends. If she doesn’t play anymore this season, and might possibly play again, UConn at some point will submit the medical records and the paperwork for this waiver.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Also I would think if she had made a decision to not pursue the college option, someone would have discovered it and mentioned it here.

In case people are not aware, Juste has played with and is friends with Gabby Williams. I'm not sure if that means anything regarding recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom