UConn recruiting speculation part 2 | The Boneyard

UConn recruiting speculation part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
No speculation of transfers is allowed. Read the rules tacked at the top of the board

Reaction Score
Can a player give up her scholly to be a walk-on? Paige, since she is now a millionaire, could give up her scholly and allow uconn to keep another player on scholarship. Is that possible?

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
on the shuttered speculation thread, someone opined that no scholarship player would become a walk-on.

well, i disagree. it depends on the player and her attitude. paige bueckers, specifically.

i think it's clear she could pay her own tuition et.al and be a walk-on. this may seem silly to some. even ludicrous.

i say, however, why not? a lot of kids pay full freight to go to college and will get a lot less out of it then paige already has. many alums are very generous to their school. i don't see why someone like paige couldn't be generous to her soon-to-be alma mater while still matriculating -- to open up a scholarship for her beloved teammates, coaches and fans. money is not the ultimate god for all people, after all.

just a thought. :D

Reaction Score
Can a player give up her scholly to be a walk-on? Paige, since she is now a millionaire, could give up her scholly and allow uconn to keep another player on scholarship. Is that possible?
With a championship goal in mind like these two examples? WNBA players signing for less contract money to play on a super team. NFL veterans signing for less money to play with Tom Brady when he joined Tampa Bucs.

Reaction Score
Putting myself in that position, I would be willing to give up say 50k on a scholly, assuming I got big money coming in from NIL, for a chance to have more and better players to get me a ring.

I'd rather have the chance to celebrate with my teammates after a championship than celebrate that I have 50k extra in my bank acct. It does not get much better than winning a championship and 50k lost is worth going for it. It is something you will never forget.

Look at it this way, for the rest of your life, you can show people your 50k or show them your ring....which one would you choose? (yes i know it is not guaranteed)

Reaction Score
Is the women’s scholarship limit 15? I don’t think Geno would want more than that.

sun

Reaction Score
Geno would never ever pull Paige's scholarship.
It would be investigated by the NCAA for being part of a plot or quid pro quo to circumvent scholarship limit rules.
Geno would never risk UConn being sanctioned in any way, shape or form due to it being his fault.
It would hurt his legacy, the school & the team. even if UConn weren't sanctioned.
The NCAA would invent a new rule to expressly prevent it in the future, & they'd call it the Geno Rule.
Geno would never be able to defend the reason for pulling Paige's scholarship.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It would be investigated by the NCAA for being part of a plot or quid pro quo to circumvent scholarship limit rules.
Geno would never risk UConn being sanctioned in any way, shape or form due to it being his fault.
It would hurt his legacy, the school & the team. even if UConn weren't sanctioned.
The NCAA would invent a new rule to expressly prevent it in the future, & they'd call it the Geno Rule.
The NCAA wouldn’t investigate - pulling scholarships for no good reason happens all the time, especially in football

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The NCAA wouldn’t investigate - pulling scholarships for no good reason happens all the time, especially in football

I don’t know for sure, but i think if a scholarship is pulled, it’s because the player won’t be accepted to play anymore. If the player continues on the team, are we sure that wouldn’t be a problem.? More to the point on Paige, can a player voluntarily give up the scholarship and continue to play without counting against the limit?

Reaction Score
worry about this when we have 16 players and Geno has an issue. Or when we have 15 and someone else wants to join the team. I see enough players going to WNBA, Europe, or graduating that is it very unlikely to be a problem. Right now if all the guards who might leave do, we have Azzi, Schade, KK, Bettencourt and 2 from 2024 class next year. I would give anything, wlll almost, for Paige to come back too. I don't think more guards is the priority for any openings whether portal or high school recruits. We need bigs. If Edwards goes to WNBA, we have no proven bigs coming back. Ice, Patterson, El Affy, DeBerry are all unproven at the moment. We hope, but who knows which will step up and which will be "what happened?????".
Ducharme is ??? wishing her the best, for her health above all. Basketball is second. I am crazy enough to hope she can be back for Big East tourney and the NCAA's this year. Q, still a work in progress, but hopeful, but she is a small big. Griffin, great is she comes back next year but who knows. We need at least one of the two bigs still possible, better both, or we will be searching the dreaded portal we are not allowed to discuss here, so I won't. But if I could.......

Reaction Score

UConn has had walk-ons. It would be no different. Circumventing scholarship rules? Not unless a school secretly reimbursed a player.

Reaction Score

This not at all!!

Reaction Score
Sarah strong went on KK’s live TikTok yesterday with some of the other players. Doesn’t mean anything but interesting none the less.
Just to view the Tik tok or she was actually in the video with KK? Not surprising either way because I think they are friends.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
nobody that i know thinks geno would or should 'pull' paige's scholarship.

it could be a magnanimous act by paige. ... and you think that's not wonderful but rather something to that's unacceptable? what a hellish world to live in.

i imagine paige might be the type of person who'd relish the idea.

Reaction Score
If anything the new player would just get an NIL deal that magically covers the cost of attendance at the university

Reaction Score
Players who choose the extra year do not count toward the scholarship limit. So if all four seniors elected to return, UConn could have 19 scholarship players.

Reaction Score
Players who choose the extra year do not count toward the scholarship limit. So if all four seniors elected to return, UConn could have 19 scholarship players.
I didn't know that!!! All the discussion that I've seen appears to assume the opposite conclusion. More
comment from others " in the know" would help my understanding.

Reaction Score
I thought that an expanded roster only applied to the first year of the covid rules (20/21 season ?). After that, teams had to limit the scholarship roster at 15. Which is where we are now.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Well, this is a good explanation - article from 10/29/20:
"Not every detail is clear at the moment, but for the 2021-22 season, Division I women's basketball teams will be allowed to exceed 15 scholarships."
"Before the recent NCAA decision, senior Michaela Onyenwere was on track to complete her eligibility in the 2020-21 season. As a result of the NCAA decision, she could play this season and return for a fifth season in 2021-22. UCLA coach Cori Close said recently that the school's administration already committed to funding the necessary scholarships, meaning Onyenwere could return without affecting the scholarship money committed to incoming freshmen.
Easy enough, at least relative to what comes next.
Current sophomore Charisma Osborne was on track to complete her four seasons of eligibility in the 2022-23 season. But she could now return for a fifth season in 2023-24. Doing so would mean one fewer scholarship that the Bruins have to work with in that recruiting class."

And this, my BY friends, is why I don't assume anything wrt our rosters, covid/redshirt years, or anything else.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I don’t know for sure, but i think if a scholarship is pulled, it’s because the player won’t be accepted to play anymore. If the player continues on the team, are we sure that wouldn’t be a problem.? More to the point on Paige, can a player voluntarily give up the scholarship and continue to play without counting against the limit?

I saw an article a year or so ago about a football player giving up his scholarship for a walk on. He said his family can afford the tuition, and the three year walk on needed it more.

Edit:

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That was only for one year. Players taking advantage of the extra Covid year do count towards the scholarship limit now

Reaction Score
worry about this when we have 16 players and Geno has an issue. Or when we have 15 and someone else wants to join the team. I see enough players going to WNBA, Europe, or graduating that is it very unlikely to be a problem. Right now if all the guards who might leave do, we have Azzi, Schade, KK, Bettencourt and 2 from 2024 class next year. I would give anything, wlll almost, for Paige to come back too. I don't think more guards is the priority for any openings whether portal or high school recruits. We need bigs. If Edwards goes to WNBA, we have no proven bigs coming back. Ice, Patterson, El Affy, DeBerry are all unproven at the moment. We hope, but who knows which will step up and which will be "what happened?????".
Ducharme is ??? wishing her the best, for her health above all. Basketball is second. I am crazy enough to hope she can be back for Big East tourney and the NCAA's this year. Q, still a work in progress, but hopeful, but she is a small big. Griffin, great is she comes back next year but who knows. We need at least one of the two bigs still possible, better both, or we will be searching the dreaded portal we are not allowed to discuss here, so I won't. But if I could.......
Well said. No matter who does or doesn't come back next year, we will have 4-5+ great to solid guards. All our forwards and centers are unproven or coming off of major injuries. Geno's and the coaching staff's priority seems straightforward.

Reaction Score
That was only for one year. Players taking advantage of the extra Covid year do count towards the scholarship limit now
Thanks for the clarification. Now I can go back to worrying about other things... like nine healthy players !

Reaction Score
D
didn't Uconn Mens team do that for Drummon ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom