UConn Recruiting Speculation 6 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Recruiting Speculation 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is there a limitation date for Sarah Strong to announce where she commits ?

Reaction Score
When I look at the “Updated Scholarship Grid” from 2/16/24, it looks to me as if we currently have (for 2024-2025) one available scholarship left! So, if that is correct, we can have one of Aliyah, Nika, Strong, Emily, or a Portal player! I hope I’m reading it wrong and some of the other posters who are talking about getting two bigs, or Strong and a big or Aaliyah and Strong are right but I don’t think so. Can anyone out there confirm what our available scholarship situation is?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
When I look at the “Updated Scholarship Grid” from 2/16/24, it looks to me as if we currently have (for 2024-2025) one available scholarship left! So, if that is correct, we can have one of Aliyah, Nika, Strong, Emily, or a Portal player! I hope I’m reading it wrong and some of the other posters who are talking about getting two bigs, or Strong and a big or Aaliyah and Strong are right but I don’t think so. Can anyone out there confirm what our available scholarship situation is?
Technically, you are correct. Only Aubrey and Paige have announced they are coming back for 24-25 season. Until Aaliyah and Nika announce their decisions, we won't know how that final spot shakes out.

Reaction Score
A player has the right to transfer whenever wanting but can a coach broke a scolarship to make room for someone he trusts better in the interrest of his team ?

Or can a coach ask another team (Volley, Lacrosse, Field) to provide the scholarship ?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A player has the right to transfer whenever wanting but can a coach broke a scolarship to make room for someone he trusts better in the interrest of his team ?

Or can a coach ask another team (Volley, Lacrosse, Field) to provide the scholarship ?
Scholarships are one year at a time so technically a coach does not have to renew a scholarship. But i’d guess they are reluctant to do so absent someone not meeting team academic or behavioral standards. Just forcing someone out to make room for a better player is a bad look. I wouldn’t doubt coaches suggesting a transfer now and then at some schools

Not sure on your second question except I would guess they would actually have to play for the other team. UConn women and men have had a few such “walk ons” by players with scholarships from other sports. Not sure how the NCAA looks at players who might switch scholarships from one sport to another and walking on to the original sport.

Reaction Score
As of right now there is only one spot remaining for any other player returning or entering.

Reaction Score
I am not worried about what the scholarship grid shows. Geno knows much more than any of us about how next season will unfold. He knows the facts and we don’t. I trust his judgment.

Reaction Score
Scholarships are one year at a time so technically a coach does not have to renew a scholarship. But i’d guess they are reluctant to do so absent someone not meeting team academic or behavioral standards. Just forcing someone out to make room for a better player is a bad look. I wouldn’t doubt coaches suggesting a transfer now and then at some schools

Not sure on your second question except I would guess they would actually have to play for the other team. UConn women and men have had a few such “walk ons” by players with scholarships from other sports. Not sure how the NCAA looks at players who might switch scholarships from one sport to another and walking on to the original sport.
I think any scholarships count against the money sports (mbb, wbb, fb) if another player walks on from another sport.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Agreed but “judgement“ cannot create another scholarship opening!
Yup. Personally if i had to choose between 4 years if Sarah Strong if she is all everyone says and wants UConn, I would want the 4 year player over one more year of either of the other two. Potentially long term gain over short term. If we get no more recruits and i wished for one of the 2 current seniors it would be Aaliyah. She brings more known skills for what UConn would need among returnees than Nika. On paper we will have plenty of ball handling good defensive guards.

Reaction Score
Speculation about recruits makes sense to me. But speculation about current players seems really pointless to me. Can we just focus on who might come and what they might bring to the team?

Reaction Score
Technically, you are correct. Only Aubrey and Paige have announced they are coming back for 24-25 season. Until Aaliyah and Nika announce their decisions, we won't know how that final spot shakes ouT.
Both players have technically graduated. Can't they pay their own way to UConn and still be able to play basketball? It would be like having two walk-ons.

Reaction Score
I know that everyone here is on the look out for us to sign a few bigs. But, again I stress the need for a PG. Maybe not for the next couple of seasons. KK will be a senior when Kelis is a sophomore. In would be a great thing to have an incoming frosh at this time.

Reaction Score
Technically, you are correct. Only Aubrey and Paige have announced they are coming back for 24-25 season. Until Aaliyah and Nika announce their decisions, we won't know how that final spot shakes out.
Additionally I think one thing that most are not factoring in, is the possibility we could have a roster crunch not just next year, but the year after as well. The probability may not be high, but if we signed Sarah, or Emily or a portal addition for more than one year, then potentially we could only have one more 2025 offer to make.

The way that could happen is if Paige, Azzi and Caroline all use their maximum eligibility with a redshirt year. 10 plus 3 plus say Sarah and we are at 14 two years from now. That is a long way off with much uncertainty, but my point is there is a decent chance that what you do now could restrict what you could do with the 2025 class.

If Geno is only looking to add one more from 2025, then it doesn't seem to matter, but if he thinks he could land two or three more top ranked recruits from that class, he has to consider the opportunity cost here. I think Sarah, or a top portal big for one year fix is an obvious yes decision.

A recruit that is not nearly as highly rated (perhaps Rodriquez) for 4 years, or a decent but not that good portal big for more than one year, is different. In that case their addition has to be weighed against the value of of potential spot used on someone else. A case could be made for not even using every roster spot now, unless it was a real difference maker and at a position of need.

I know many things may happen or not happen so that two years from now is not a roster problem, but there is enough of a potential issue that I think Geno has to think of every roster decision from a two year perspective and consider all the tradeoffs.

Reaction Score
Well, between Aaliyah or Nika, then I definitely prefer Aaliyah, but it's a no brainer for me if Sarah wants to come to Storrs- she is my first choice.

Reaction Score
All but confirms. With both their departures, one scholarship would be available.

Now I'm willing to speculate -- not about who's leaving (that's never appropriate), but about who's coming. It's a logical sequence for me:
  1. Why say this now, before the players have had a chance to announce it themselves? I don't doubt that he knows exactly what they intend. But what motivated his announcement?
  2. He is trying to influence someone. Who is he trying to influence with this announcement?
  3. My guess is Sarah and/or Emely and/or Kaitlyn.
  4. My suspicion is several shoes are about to drop.

Reaction Score
Now I'm willing to speculate -- not about who's leaving (that's never appropriate), but about who's coming. It's a logical sequence for me:
  1. Why say this now, before the players have had a chance to announce it themselves? I don't doubt that he knows exactly what they intend. But what motivated his announcement?
  2. He is trying to influence someone. Who is he trying to influence with this announcement?
I think he just has a hard time not sharing his opinion/keeping things to himself. He accidentally revealed Aubrey was coming back before it was announced. Maybe you’re right but maybe he just was sharing his opinion

Reaction Score
This also might be true but it’s important to remember Geno gossips like and Italian grandmother. He also announced Aubrey’s return before she had the chance to this year and last. There could be no strategic reason at all for Geno saying this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom