UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, which of the following schools invited to superior conferences got in because their President kept going in the media and saying how great the University is?

Maryland
Rutgers
Utah
Louisville
Pitt
Syracuse
Colorado
Missouri
Texas A&M

Since obviously we're all experts in conference realignment and we know that this "strong, quiet" approach doesn't work, I'm curious how many universities here succeeded using the #BegHarder method?

You could make a case for maybe Louisville, but even I think that's garbage and just came down to having a superior football program when FSU/Clemson refused to have another basketball school and nobody knew if our basketball program was going to come back from the APR mess/Calhoun retirement.

I could swear that West Virginia (not on your list), Virginia Tech (not on your list) and Utah all had their state governments come out and support their cause. We all know the Louisville situation too.

Regardless, I don't know why it's so hard for some of you to understand that we don't know a cheerleader or someone begging harder, but it would mean something for the president of the school to project some confidence and some action as opposed to ho hum well see what happens.

How about a person on staff at UConn that manages the twitter account that can refute the national media when just misinformation is spewed out as fact? So when a Dennis Dodd says 20k on a Thursday night in 20 degrees someone says, well actually that would be lower than our lowest average attendance ever and we averaged 38k plus for almost a decade and when Michigan visited The Rent it was a Saturday night on ABC in front of a sold out crowd that needed temporary seating set up.

Is that to much to ask for an intern to sit there and do this? God knows what some of the assistants up there are making.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you don't know that getting into a better conference is a priority, then you need to pay better attention. I know, from my end, we've talked to boosters and people inside the athletic department, and the school has done everything they can to make themselves attractive to the Big 12, and to make sure the Big 12 is aware of all of the schools' strengths. You want to continue to throw a now-weeks-long tantrum, then you do you, bro.

Sorry I'm not trying to cultivate sources so I don't have to defend them to the death in the hopes they someday give me a tiny piece of information.

I don't know where 'weeks-long' comes from and I didn't even really dig into her assinine comments until you felt the need to try and defend the indefensible.

Lot of mouth breathing buffoons out on the board last night and this morning - if only they would keep it closer to their hearts that this is fun!

Reaction Score
This all means 1 of 3 things.
A She knows we are in so lobbying is not necessary
B She knows we are out so lobbying is not necessary
C Warde wasn't the one who deserved the blame for monitoring the ACC situation . If it is C it confirms my sense that for all the good things she has done Susan really doesn't care about athletics any more than the minimal level required of any college president

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I could swear that West Virginia (not on your list), Virginia Tech (not on your list) and Utah all had their state governments come out and support their cause. We all know the Louisville situation too.

Regardless, I don't know why it's so hard for some of you to understand that we don't know a cheerleader or someone begging harder, but it would mean something for the president of the school to project some confidence and some action as opposed to ho hum well see what happens.

How about a person on staff at UConn that manages the twitter account that can refute the national media when just misinformation is spewed out as fact? So when a Dennis Dodd says 20k on a Thursday night in 20 degrees someone says, well actually that would be lower than our lowest average attendance ever and we averaged 38k plus for almost a decade and when Michigan visited The Rent it was a Saturday night on ABC in front of a sold out crowd that needed temporary seating set up.

Is that to much to ask for an intern to sit there and do this? God knows what some of the assistants up there are making.

No no no. They are doing everything they can. Sure they can't tell you what it is - but totally trust them. Make sure you buy the tickets and send the donations.

Sure they are going to hide from the FOIA and they aren't going to take responsibility for the outcomes - but you can totally trust them they have a great track record.

Bloggers told us they care.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

True, those making the decision on who to add to the B-12 will say "UConn has an excellent academic reputation, is unparalleled in quality of women's hoops while as good as any in men's hoops and is solid in many other sports. Their football program while young, has had some success and they do appear to be back on track. They did not however publicly refute a misstatement on their attendance so we cannot consider them".

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
True, those making the decision on who to add to the B-12 will say "UConn has an excellent academic reputation, is unparalleled in quality of women's hoops while as good as any in men's hoops and is solid in many other sports. Their football program while young, has had some success and they do appear to be back on track. They did not however publicly refute a misstatement on their attendance so we cannot consider them".

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Take a lap.

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, which of the following schools invited to superior conferences got in because their President kept going in the media and saying how great the University is?

Maryland
Rutgers
Utah
Louisville
Pitt
Syracuse
Colorado
Missouri
Texas A&M

Since obviously we're all experts in conference realignment and we know that this "strong, quiet" approach doesn't work, I'm curious how many universities here succeeded using the #BegHarder method?

You could make a case for maybe Louisville, but even I think that's garbage and just came down to having a superior football program when FSU/Clemson refused to have another basketball school and nobody knew if our basketball program was going to come back from the APR mess/Calhoun retirement.
The argument isn't that the "strong, quiet" approach doesn't work, just that it doesn't seem to be working for UConn. But Mizzou, A & M, and Louisville were fairly loud as they kicked down the door running out of their conferences. And of course VPI is probably the textbook case. As for the rest, they got where they wanted to be. And that really is the key to all this. Strategy is just a tool to get there, the question now is if UConn is using the right strategy for themselves.

Reaction Score
Sorry I'm not trying to cultivate sources so I don't have to defend them to the death in the hopes they someday give me a tiny piece of information.

I don't know where 'weeks-long' comes from and I didn't even really dig into her assinine comments until you felt the need to try and defend the indefensible.

Lot of mouth breathing buffoons out on the board last night and this morning - if only they would keep it closer to their hearts that this is fun!

Have you considered starting your own "hater blog"?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Please enlighten me as that is exactly what your whining appears to be saying.

Whining? I guess instead of seeing the same misinformation constantly being touted as fact, I'd like someone at UConn stand up for the schools national perception.

We've been absolutely slaughtered in realignment and the only time we ever see anything that extols our values or combats the negative image we have is our fans doing what they can on twitter, social media, etc.

University Presidents make the decision, but like anyone in a position to make a decision, they are certainly going to be influenced by a few different people and a few different factots. Would it kill us to make sure that the people reading things are actually getting the truth about UConn?

Reaction Score
Head bang

If President Herbst doesn't care about sports and is building up her resume for a "non-athletic" school, she will have a very hard time explaining the following in her next interview:

1. authorizing all of the money spent on hiring Mike Tranghese to lobby power conferences on our behalf;
2. marketing expenditures for "UConn 6th Borough";
3. hiring not 1, not 2, but 3 qualified Athletic Directors;
4. acquiring land (not money) in a stadium naming contract with the sole expectation that the stadium will require additional land to park additional cars carrying additional fans to said stadium;
5. proceeding with plans to upgrade baseball, soccer and hockey campus facilities, in addition to expanding the campus football training facility;
6. authorizing a move to partner with The Aspire Group to help handle an expected increase in volume of ticket sales in the coming year(s)

If President Herbst hates sports as much as this thread suggest, she sure has a very odd way of showing it.

100% onboard with this and both the public and private efforts at making tangible progress. Where she seems to have fallen short is getting the Athletic Department on the same page and marshalling as many "surrogates" as possible within the Media, Alumni Athletes within the professional ranks and Political Reps to promote our successes and stature among the candidates. We haven't been effective at countering the claims of the other candidates or the criticisms of the old-guard sports media who are either clueless about or biased against UConn for whatever reasons. We shouldn't have to promote the obvious but unfortunately it's not obvious to a lot of people seeking to influence this outcome who only seem to remember Memphis and Houston had decent FB teams last year. And if the Big12 didn't care a whiff about public perception then why have they made this a public spectacle?

Messaging is important and even if it makes a small difference you want to maximize all of your assets instead of assuming everybody "gets it" and is immune to outside pressure.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whining? I guess instead of seeing the same misinformation constantly being touted as fact, I'd like someone at UConn stand up for the schools national perception.

We've been absolutely slaughtered in realignment and the only time we ever see anything that extols our values or combats the negative image we have is our fans doing what they can on twitter, social media, etc.

University Presidents make the decision, but like anyone in a position to make a decision, they are certainly going to be influenced by a few different people and a few different factots. Would it kill us to make sure that the people reading things are actually getting the truth about UConn?

College sports is completely driven by perception. The University and Athletic Department find it beneath them to attempt to change the perception.

The idea that the opinions of the Big 12 presidents aren't somewhat driven by public perception is laughable.

The Supreme Court doesn't live up to that standard - forget a bunch of guys who don't want to get raked over the coals by their media and fan bases.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
I did it. I cant fuggin believe it. I'm taking to twitter. My life is over but my last known rememberence will be fighting to dispel the errant rumors about my much beloved huskies. #BleedHuskyBlue (am I doin it right?)

Reaction Score
The Rent has Cabela's onsite, based out of Nebraska by the way. Bass Pro Shops is based in Mizzou. What does this have to do with anything? Nothing.
They should have designated some area over there for cattle and a huge Big 12 logo.

Reaction Score
What a bunch of babies ...

I simply have no problem with what President Herbst stated publicly (while hiring widely respected LOBBYIST Mike Tranghese & that's not available through FOIL). There is ONLY one reason we aren't taken in the first two or first four: Our Location in the Northeast is far from the core of the B12. If they really believe their Value Add is the Memphis program or UCF or even Cincinnati - from a Market & Brand position - then they truly are the dysfunctional bunch of 10 Presidents. Herbst bluntly stated our case. We are the best outside the P5 cartel.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I simply have no problem with what President Herbst stated publicly (while hiring widely respected LOBBYIST Mike Tranghese & that's not available through FOIL). There is ONLY one reason we aren't taken in the first two or first four: Our Location in the Northeast is far from the core of the B12. If they really believe their Value Add is the Memphis program or UCF or even Cincinnati - from a Market & Brand position - then they truly are the dysfunctional bunch of 10 Presidents. Herbst bluntly stated our case. We are the best outside the P5 cartel.

Of course: If the outcome is bad it's someone else's fault.

It's hilarious that people support UConn hiding from FOIA. God forbid we actually know what highly compensated employees are actually doing. Take their words for it - they are awesome - ignore what they actually say - the hidden stuff is the good stuff.

And you babies stop trying to force accountability - send your checks and stop asking questions.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

Enjoy remaining the best OUTSIDE of the P5 cartel. You're Suzy's kind of FAN.

Reaction Score
This I believe ...

Susan Herbst is the best President/Executive leadership at the University of Connecticut since I started paying attention to stuff like this (circa 1990). Dave Benedict has had an outstanding first few months; better (IMHO) than Warde Manual. We have solid FB, BB, WBB and Olympic coaches all down the line. We have major Brand awareness far beyond the small state into the #1 and #6 market. Hiring Tranghese was a smooth commendable push. The senior people pulling for the University - politicians, money from Fairfield County, community leaders, assorted trustee types - are doing their thing. Knowing what I do about the University executives beyond that ... I guess its my view that they don't need to be out there publicly. (Who we talking about? Enright? Chardis?)

As this advanced, I suspect that Fox and ESPN are holding cards we don't even suspect. That is a component that UConn (in my view) either flies very high or not. I do think Texas in Foxborough or Oklahoma/Kansas in MSG ... is a far more resonant call than another game at Fifth Third Arena. But what the hell ...

Reaction Score
Enjoy remaining the best OUTSIDE of the P5 cartel. You're Suzy's kind of FAN.

You are probably one of the guys who thought Louisville was selected over us because our AD was in the Caribbean watching WBB. I think I understand the politics of this. I truly can't fault not loudly crowing on Twitter. Or .... kissing a Dallas sportswriters Ass.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The decision will come down to what the lesser members of the B-12 view ad their best chance of claiming they are still a power football conference once UT & OU leave for greener pastures.

Tell me how we can be sold as anything other than a remote possibility in that scenario.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I did it. I cant fuggin believe it. I'm taking to twitter. My life is over but my last known rememberence will be fighting to dispel the errant rumors about my much beloved huskies. #BleedHuskyBlue (am I doin it right?)

#BleedBlue
#UConnNation
#UConn6thBorough
#UConnBig12
#AnywhereButTheAAC

Good luck out there. Steer clear of the Memphis fans. There aren't many, but they are truly amongst the densest people you will ever encounter.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The decision will come down to what the lesser members of the B-12 view ad their best chance of claiming they are still a power football conference once UT & OU leave for greener pastures.

Tell me how we can be sold as anything other than a remote possibility in that scenario.

So I guess we sum up this opinion as:

Can't win, don't try.

The admin should show you guys a lot of love for your support. Nothing is anyone's responsibility and no matter what the outcomes are they are the best and their approach was the best possible way to attack the issue.

Plus they are encouraged to hide from FOIA - just to make it even harder to challenge them!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
You are probably one of the guys who thought Louisville was selected over us because our AD was in the Caribbean watching WBB. I think I understand the politics of this. I truly can't fault not loudly crowing on Twitter. Or .... kissing a Dallas sportswriters Ass.
Perception often equals reality. I would like to be satisfied that we are going down swinging, rather than waiting for the world to acknowledge our excellence. Because our excellence is ultimately at stake here.

Reaction Score
I see what Susan Herbst words have done to some of you all ...

Imagine that you are the President of Iowa State University & you are laughing at the ridiculousness of Memphis or New Mexico or Arkansas State making public noise on Twitter or with sports radio in Dallas. You are going to make a call based on a fairly consistent reliable internal set of summary deliverables. Not SALESMANSHIP in social media or blasting over radio.

I think Susan Herbst words played differently on an audience beyond the Boneyard and targeting a level of executive offices. Meanwhile ... Tranghese and others know ESPN and Fox and SNY.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The bigger problem is that, for the people who actually make donations and buy tickets, this is getting less and less "fun" by the year. That comment was just so tone-deaf and insulting . . .

Yeah, Jim Calhoun nailed it. Our fanbase doesn't go from 13,000 season ticket holders down to 6,000 because we're having fun watching us play Tulane, East Carolina and UCF instead of Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt and West Virginia.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This I believe ...

Susan Herbst is the best President/Executive leadership at the University of Connecticut since I started paying attention to stuff like this (circa 1990). Dave Benedict has had an outstanding first few months; better (IMHO) than Warde Manual. We have solid FB, BB, WBB and Olympic coaches all down the line. We have major Brand awareness far beyond the small state into the #1 and #6 market. Hiring Tranghese was a smooth commendable push. The senior people pulling for the University - politicians, money from Fairfield County, community leaders, assorted trustee types - are doing their thing. Knowing what I do about the University executives beyond that ... I guess its my view that they don't need to be out there publicly. (Who we talking about? Enright? Chardis?)

As this advanced, I suspect that Fox and ESPN are holding cards we don't even suspect. That is a component that UConn (in my view) either flies very high or not. I do think Texas in Foxborough or Oklahoma/Kansas in MSG ... is a far more resonant call than another game at Fifth Third Arena. But what the hell ...

Agree with this and wanted to add something. Robert Kraft is well aware that his efforts with regard to Hartford have hurt support for the Patriots in Connecticut. He would love the chance to host UConn football games at Gillette, I have no doubt in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom