UCONN Players you thought would be Real Good BUT............. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN Players you thought would be Real Good BUT.............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Aleksinas, Rudy, Albert, Rash and Denham have no right in this thread..............

Al Lewis, Larry Blucher, Norm Bailey, Cup Cormier, Ajou Deng, Sam Funches, Marte Smith, Michael Leblanc are some

Totally forgot about Marte Smith. Bailey had talent to be one of the best at UCONN.
I saw Al Lewis one time throw in a hook shot from the foul line.
Cup used to drive me crazy with his out of control play then he would make a spectacular play and all was forgiven until the next trip down the court :)

Reaction Score
Guys, too many guys that are being mentioned were still decent players.. Some guys that you are thowing out were never going to be stars but role players.

The guys with the most expectations and didn't live up to them are.

1. Ajou Deng - Over hyped by Billie Packer at the final 4 as our best player
2. Antric Klaiber - Top 50 recruit that we stole from Georgetown and completely sucked
3. Scott Hazelton - McDonalds AA - That saw limited playing time and transfered (when we we not getting a lot of MickeyDs)
4.Jamal Coombs-McDaniel - was suppose to be the better of the tandum with Oriaki. Showed flashes, but once I saw him miss a free throw, I know he was not going to last long.

I don't count guys that got into trouble and left the program. (ala. Wrenn, Cox & Miles) or guys that if they stayed would have been good here too. Kelly, Majok...etc.

Reaction Score
I thought we were going to see more from Ed, but he did fill the role he was given well.

Antric also comes to mind

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Scott Hazelton has to top the list. Fake home town Mickey d status non withstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Richie Ashmeade

Also thought that Gilad Katz and Ire Cohen -Mintz would contribute more too. after Nadovs' great season.

OT- As great as Nadov and Scheffer were(And they were) the one player from Isreal that was supposed to come here and didn't was PG Odet Katosh. Both Doron and Dove flat out he was the best player out of Isreal at that time.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
... Toraino Walker, Marcus White. I liked all three of these players very much... ...But far and away . . .
Stan.
Dude was good. Very good. But not the killer-really-good that I thought he was going to be.
I really think Stan was a question of wrong timing. Different place, different time, different coach, different teammates, and I think it may have worked out differently for him. He was the victim of the hookandscream too many times to recount.

I think both Torraino and Marcus exceeded expectations during the short time each of them was here. Toraino appeared to be on the verge of becoming a real star when he just lost interest, caved to the pressure, missed his boys in the hood too much, or left for reason we'll never be privy to, depending on which version of the story you like. MW didn't come in with a rep as a stud rebounder, but boy did he turn out to be one, especially on the offensive boards. I remember his rise to prominence came when JC was out and George was the game coach. He was already a high-end role player when he got homesick. As it turned out, his back gave out on him before he could become something more.

Agree on Stanley, He was good, but not nearly as good as he was supposed to be, or as good as we could all see he had the tools to be.

Personally, the guy that I thought showed more promise than he ever got to develop was Antric. He could never stay out of JC's dog house long enough to excel.

But you're going to have some Antrics and Stans along the way to find a Hilton or even a Kemba.

Reaction Score
Ashmeade I couldn't think of his name, transferred to RU I think then in the A10......

Real good call on Terrence Warren, looked like he might be a good one!

Flemming who later transferred to Richmond and Brian Buckelew also come to mind!!!

Maybe even Tex Spradling!! LOL

Reaction Score
Ashmeade I couldn't think of his name, transferred to RU I think then in the A10......

Real good call on Terrence Warren, looked like he might be a good one!

Flemming who later transferred to Richmond and Brian Buckelew also come to mind!!!

Maybe even Tex Spradling!! LOL
Good job with Brian Buckelew. I always remember and chuckle to myself in regards to Buckelew and the Arnold Dean show. Arnold had a recruiting expert ( don't remember who) on his show one night. The expert goes off on how that year NJ was loaded with great players and he had spent a great deal of time observing all the players in NJ. So Arnold tells him that UConn had just signed a shooting guard from NJ, and asked the expert what he taught of Brian Buckelews playing ability. Unfortunately the expert had never heard of him. There was dead silence for about 5 seconds from both Arnold and the expert. I knew at that time he was probably not as good a player as we were hoping he would be.

Reaction Score
These were already mentioned but I thought Marcus Cox from Bridgeport would be really good. Great size for a pg and great skills in high school but just couldn't put it together in college. Doug Wrenn phenomenal athlete, average player. Hazelton, Ater Majok and obviously Ajou Deng.

Reaction Score
Going old school again, but Clay Johnson out Waterbury would be another player who I taught would be better. Saw him in at Holy Cross and he was a player. Had a weird looking jump shot.

Reaction Score
Scott Hazelton has to top the list. Fake home town Mickey d status non withstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take it from someone who saw him play before the foot injuries (and there was a knee problem there too according to his HS coach who happened to be my neighbor), he was as dominant a high school player as has come through MA since Ewing. I saw Wayne Turner, AO, Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, Elton Tyler, just about every big name Eastern Mass recruit from the mid 90's on and Haze was an absolute beast.

If you want to talk about "fake hometown Mickey d status", talk about Neil Fingleton, the 7-6 stiff from Worcester who ended up at UNC ever so briefly.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Ben Eaves. I never expected him to be a superstar, but thought he'd be a threat from 3-point range.

Reaction Score
Going old school again, but Clay Johnson out Waterbury would be another player who I taught would be better. Saw him in at Holy Cross and he was a player. Had a weird looking jump shot.

Good call. Clay used to shoot it from behind his head. I always thought he would be good too.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I never thought Hazelton was that great in high school - he was what I thought he'd be. I was much more disappointed in seeing UConn lose out on Turner and Randell Jackson than I was happy to see UConn land Hazelton. Both of those cats were orbits better than Hazelton in high school - Scott's feet are not the difference there.

Ajou Deng is the gold standard for UConn flops, but taking him out of it, I'd probably list Marcus Johnson, Doug Wrenn and Edmund Saunders as the biggest disappointments. Circumstance probably prevented guys like Rudy or Charlie from being all they could have been, but Wrenn, Johnson and Saunders had every chance.

Wrenn was so talented, but a pure lunatic. Saunders was lazy and just had a piss-poor attitude. Johnson was just a great athlete who wasn't very good at basketball.

Reaction Score
As long as we've gotten into what people looked like in high school, does anyone want to start a "players from Connecticut high schools who turned out to be studs at other colleges even though we didn't recruit them and why the hell not" thread?

I nominate Vin Baker and John Pinone. Anyone else?

(I'm sure we probably recruited John Pinone, but I'm not actually hoping for serious responses to this)

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
  1. Ajou Dieng! What a sillyhead!
  2. Scott Hazelton
  3. Ater Majok (He's good at dribbling around chairs)
  4. Doug Wiggins
  5. Marcus White
  6. Mike Hayes

Reaction Score
  1. Ajou Dieng! What a sillyhead!
  2. Scott Hazelton
  3. Ater Majok (He's good at dribbling around chairs)
  4. Doug Wiggins
  5. Marcus White
  6. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes? What did you expect out of Mike Hayes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom