UCONN Players you thought would be Real Good BUT............. | The Boneyard

UCONN Players you thought would be Real Good BUT.............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All these recruiting posts got me to thinking about the players who came into UCONN that I thought were a leadpipe cinch to be real good. But for one reason or another(read that playing time and injuries) it didn't happen.

Here are some that come to mind:

I'll get Ajou Deng out of the way first(thank you Dickie V)
Scott Hazelton
Rudy Johnson(always seemed to be injured)
Ater Majok
Sam Funches

Who's got next ?

Reaction Score
Marcus Johnson, Toraino Walker, Marcus White. I liked all three of these players very much.
Ed Nelson. Because I heard "ACC rook of the year" and I thought, "he must be really good."
Dyson - pretty good, but never got better. Was the same player for 4 years. Had the physical tools to be a really great guard, but didn't have the head for the game.
But far and away . . .
Stan.
Dude was good. Very good. But not the killer-really-good that I thought he was going to be.
I really think Stan was a question of wrong timing. Different place, different time, different coach, different teammates, and I think it may have worked out differently for him. He was the victim of the hookandscream too many times to recount.
What a sad thread.

Reaction Score
Albert Mouring was a guy who never really hit his full potential. I was pretty young when he was playing and I thought he was gonna be awesome, never developed anything more than the 3ball though. Granted he was an incredible shooter.

caw

Reaction Score
Curtis Kelley. Probably the best a transfer has played for a major college after leaving UConn. Knucklehead, but...

Marcus Cox. I always thought he would be a solid player.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Marcus Johnson, Toraino Walker, Marcus White. I liked all three of these players very much.
Ed Nelson. Because I heard "ACC rook of the year" and I thought, "he must be really good."
Dyson - pretty good, but never got better. Was the same player for 4 years. Had the physical tools to be a really great guard, but didn't have the head for the game.
But far and away . . .
Stan.
Dude was good. Very good. But not the killer-really-good that I thought he was going to be.
I really think Stan was a question of wrong timing. Different place, different time, different coach, different teammates, and I think it may have worked out differently for him. He was the victim of the hookandscream too many times to recount.
What a sad thread.
Decent 1st post. Welcome to the board.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Chuck Aleksinas is in the top 5
but imho the biggest flop was Ajou Deng.

Ater also is probably top 5.

Reaction Score
Chuck Aleksinas is in the top 5
but imho the biggest flop was Ajou Deng.

Ater also is probably top 5.

Biggest problem with Ajou is that we burned bridges for his brother.

Although on second thought, Luol only played one year and we won the title. No harm done.

Reaction Score
Rash Jones. Still love him. Integral role player in the '99 NC. Avg'd 30+ Min in '96/97 and 13 ppg. Lost his starting gig.

Rash Jones @ Statsheet.

I disagree on Rash. Nobody gave up more of his game to be a team guy(glue guy). Remember his sophmore year he was leading the team in scoring until he hurt his ankle at Seton Hall. He deferred to others for the good of the team.

Reaction Score
Great topic and some great lists.

Not due to playing time or injuries, but I thought that Denham Brown (who became a very GOOD player) and Edmund Saunders were two guys who were supposed to be great.

Brian Fair showed flashes, but never became more than a three point shooter.

Antric Klaiber, Doug Wrenn, Nate Miles, Doug Wiggins, Taliek Brown (only for his ranking in hs), Albie Mouring to go along with the others mentioned.

Also two new posters in one thread. Welcome aboard perspective and jluc.

Reaction Score
Deng...but then I remembered that the other teams used real players and not chairs...

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
We're not disagreeing. The OP was "UConn players you thought would be real good but".

I thought Rash would be our leading scorer in his junior year But...
he hurt his ankle at Seton Hall [and then] He deferred to others for the good of the team.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
We probably never saw the "real" Aj Price due to many issues
And I'm still waiting for Rudy Gay to show and give 100%. I always felt that garrison was better than Beverly and at the time felt the better of the two transferred but things turned out just fine.

Reaction Score
Aleksinas, Rudy, Albert, Rash and Denham have no right in this thread..............

Al Lewis, Larry Blucher, Norm Bailey, Cup Cormier, Ajou Deng, Sam Funches, Marte Smith, Michael Leblanc are some

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Aleksinas, Rudy, Albert, Rash and Denham have no right in this thread..............

Al Lewis, Larry Blucher, Norm Bailey, Cup Cormier, Ajou Deng, Sam Funches, Marte Smith, Michael Leblanc are some

I guess it all depends on what your definition of Real Good is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom