UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle | Page 41 | The Boneyard

UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle

Reaction Score
I agree- but the system has created what's in it for me -not the team scenario. The bowl games are a joke now.....lots of players opting out. Everything changes - not always for the better.
Bowl games were a waste before but now they are a complete joke. In the bigger bowls, you probably don't even have your starters playing because half opted out And the other half are in the portal
I really hate the idea of any player opting out before the season concludes but that is just commonplace now.

What is really bad is the Florida State QB Tate Rodemaker opting out less than a week before the Orange Bowl game against Georgia. Some teammate.

Reaction Score
I really hate the idea of any player opting out before the season concludes but that is just commonplace now.

What is really bad is the Florida State QB Tate Rodemaker opting out less than a week before the Orange Bowl game against Georgia. Some teammate.
More coaches out than players. The joy has been sucked out of the game.

Reaction Score

Some staff - they’ve made it clear they’re going to the portal for a starting qb. It’s a 2-way street.

Reaction Score
More coaches out than players. The joy has been sucked out of the game.
Some staff - they’ve made it clear they’re going to the portal for a starting qb. It’s a 2-way street.
I didn't realize that more staff is out than players. Not good.

But it does seem as if Rodemaker is missing a great opportunity to show his future school what he good do by playing well against Georgia. He has ever right to enter the portal but he is not doing his teammates any favor by entering the portal 6 days before the game. Couldn't he have entered the portal earlier?

Reaction Score
I didn't realize that more staff is out than players. Not good.

But it does seem as if Rodemaker is missing a great opportunity to show his future school what he good do by playing well against Georgia. He has ever right to enter the portal but he is not doing his teammates any favor by entering the portal 6 days before the game. Couldn't he have entered the portal earlier?
FSU is playing this game with a practice squad. The portal truly is ruining college sports. It’s just a matter of when it becomes clear to everyone that it isn’t sustainable.

I have no interest in watching the Orange Bowl because FSU has no players. This will become normal without changes. It renders bowl season even more irrelevant than it was before, which seemed impossible. Now the only games worth watching are the playoff, which only served to strengthen the most powerful. Its ridiculous.

Reaction Score
FSU is playing this game with a practice squad. The portal truly is ruining college sports. It’s just a matter of when it becomes clear to everyone that it isn’t sustainable.

I have no interest in watching the Orange Bowl because FSU has no players. This will become normal without changes. It renders bowl season even more irrelevant than it was before, which seemed impossible. Now the only games worth watching are the playoff, which only served to strengthen the most powerful. Its ridiculous.
Orange Bowl is as meaningless as all the other bowls. I wouldnt risk injury for this.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I honestly think FSU admin, football team and fans want the Orange Bowl to tank this year. They have no interest in playing in it other than to collect a pay check.

It would be interesting if bowl game payouts became variable based on coaching staff and player participation.

Personally, I'd like to see the transfer portal be locked from the beginning of first game at end of August until championship game. Same for coaches leaving one school to go to another.

Reaction Score
I honestly think FSU admin, football team and fans want the Orange Bowl to tank this year. They have no interest in playing in it other than to collect a pay check.

It would be interesting if bowl game payouts became variable based on coaching staff and player participation.

Personally, I'd like to see the transfer portal be locked from the beginning of first game at end of August until championship game. Same for coaches leaving one school to go to another.
I have similar thoughts in regard to bowl payouts. If the game payout was variable, it might impact NIL as well. And tighten the transfer portal window.

Reaction Score
A series of bad decisions fas created a free for all. The Bowl system has imploded and I haven't watched a single Bowl game this season. The only ones that matter are the semi-finals and the final. If lifelong consumers like me aren't watching I'd be shocked if ratings aren't cratering for the lower tier games.
SquarePic_20231227_11064463.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A series of bad decisions fas created a free for all. The Bowl system has imploded and I haven't watched a single Bowl game this season. The only ones that matter are the semi-finals and the final. If lifelong consumers like me aren't watching I'd be shocked if ratings aren't cratering for the lower tier games.
I still watch the bowl games even though they have no importance. I’m not glued to the TV but it is something to watch if no MBB games are being played. But I’m probably an outlier and I’m on vacation this week. Kansas was of some interest last night.

Reaction Score

NCAA could stop must of this. Penalize coaches who bail on their schools before their season is over, and don’t open up the portal to anyone whose season isn’t over. You know why they won’t do that. Because when ’Bama or MIchigan wants a new coach or new QB, they don’t want to have to wait.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have similar thoughts in regard to bowl payouts. If the game payout was variable, it might impact NIL as well. And tighten the transfer portal window.
View attachment 94479
NCAA could stop must of this. Penalize coaches who bail on their schools before their season is over, and don’t open up the portal to anyone whose season isn’t over. You know why they won’t do that. Because when ’Bama or MIchigan wants a new coach or new QB, they don’t want to have to wait.

The four-team CFP and the transfer portal have really peeled back the curtain on the scam many of these bowl games are. Used to be the team got in another 2-4 weeks of practice, the fans got a nice place to visit for a few days over the holidays, some cities got some extra tourism money and publicity and we got some great bowl game names (Poulan Weedeater Bowl anyone?).

Scam may be too harsh but fans inherently know these games played with make-shift coaching staffs and seemingly half the regular season roster are meaningless going forward.

Reaction Score

I don't think the NCAA has any practical enforcement capabilities anymore over the BiG and SEC. I think if they press a critical issue like this those conferences will threaten to leave and take their football with them. The NCAA tournament may be some leverage against that, but I'm not so sure the NCAA doesn't need those conferences to sustain the overall value of that tournament.

In short, I think the NCAA's days of policing the Power 4 are just about over......

Reaction Score
The four-team CFP and the transfer portal have really peeled back the curtain on the scam many of these bowl games are. Used to be the team got in another 2-4 weeks of practice, the fans got a nice place to visit for a few days over the holidays, some cities got some extra tourism money and publicity and we got some great bowl game names (Poulan Weedeater Bowl anyone?).

Scam may be too harsh but fans inherently know these games played with make-shift coaching staffs and seemingly half the regular season roster are meaningless going forward.
I don’t disagree that the transfer portal is negatively effecting every bowl except playoffs but when you really look at it, bowls during the BCS era have been meaningless.

It’s a cool game for fans of the teams to watch and provides a couple of weeks extra practice (which I think has been way overrated by coaches). But who cares outside of the fans of the teams?

Orange Bowl this year is an example. Who cares? I might watch some of the CFP games because there is an interest to see who is crowned the national champion. But I can care less about an ACC v. SEC bowl game.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
For years, I used to love this time of year not only because of Christmas, but also for all the college bowl games with my favorite being the Rose Bowl even though I'm not particularly a BIG or PAC fan (but I'd root for Michigan during the Schembechler days). Hell even the Poinsettia Bowl got my attention. I could understand a FEW opt outs, but far too many players and coaches ditching teams after the regular season ends. It's really lost the allure of yesteryear...but I'm always ready to watch a bowl in which Notre Dame gets spanked!

Reaction Score
There is literally no reason why they can’t implement a 24 team playoff like FCS with BYEs for the top seeds.

No need to take 3-4 weeks off before bowls are played.

Next season when they have playoff games on campus they will truly see how much more valuable playoffs are.

Reaction Score
Bowl games have always been over hyped. How long have we heard that it's all about "who wants to be there more". It won't really matter much if the team that shows up is not the one that played all year. We fans go to Bowl games for the the chance to gather with friends at an away site and cheer for the laundry and the fight song. As long as the opponents are as suspect as we are in their roster it can be an exciting game. And sometimes a star is born--and then hope grows for next year.

Reaction Score
There is literally no reason why they can’t implement a 24 team playoff like FCS with BYEs for the top seeds.

No need to take 3-4 weeks off before bowls are played.

Next season when they have playoff games on campus they will truly see how much more valuable playoffs are.
Yeah except for losing revenue due to the on campus games having no sponsors

Reaction Score

At some point a playoff team will lose its quarterback to the portal. That will force a change.

Reaction Score
Yeah except for losing revenue due to the on campus games having no sponsors

They will have plenty of sponsors and full stadiums. And they will probably earn credits like March Madness.

Reaction Score
They will have plenty of sponsors and full stadiums. And they will probably earn credits like March Madness.
It's already announced they wont have sponsors for the on campus games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom