UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle | Page 36 | The Boneyard

UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle

Reaction Score
Plus how much are they paying him. Look, I’m an employer. One thing I learned, often the hard way, is that people like money.
Surprisingly this is not really the case with the younger generation. They value being part of something far more than money nowadays and as he stated, that appears to be a lot of what he was looking for. It is sort of hard for me to comprehend at times, but I analyze the reasons people come to my company and leave my company, which has about 100k people, and wage rate is probably 6th or 7th on the list of reasons why people come or go. We have actually dropped turnover rates by doing things like having people volunteer with their workmates or having them take on more responsibility for the same rate of pay. Having that connection to actually doing something and working towards something is very important, more important than money for a lot of kids.

Reaction Score
You can’t be serious. They finished third in the ACC. Compare their home attendance to ours and their bowl game to ours and repeat that it’s not much of an upgrade.

But is it Tennessee? Heck no.
I think it’s obvious he was reading his own headlines and believes he is the next Travis Kelce and he very well may be. He is very talented for sure. But the portal is a brutal place for these kids and I would guess that just as Tennessee fell through, so did a lot of his interests and he grabbed onto one of the real offers he had. Wish he had stayed at UConn and been a big star. Maybe he could have influenced the staff to modernize the offense. I Hope he is featured in their offense as much as he hopes.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Surprisingly this is not really the case with the younger generation. They value being part of something far more than money nowadays and as he stated, that appears to be a lot of what he was looking for.
That’s just a talking point that people use rather than saying “it’s about the money”. Are there some kids who value something more? Yes sure, but it’s mostly about the money. You’re fooling yourself if you believe otherwise.

Reaction Score
Surprisingly this is not really the case with the younger generation. They value being part of something far more than money nowadays and as he stated, that appears to be a lot of what he was looking for. It is sort of hard for me to comprehend at times, but I analyze the reasons people come to my company and leave my company, which has about 100k people, and wage rate is probably 6th or 7th on the list of reasons why people come or go. We have actually dropped turnover rates by doing things like having people volunteer with their workmates or having them take on more responsibility for the same rate of pay. Having that connection to actually doing something and working towards something is very important, more important than money for a lot of kids.
I heart cash.

Reaction Score
That’s just a talking point that people use rather than saying “it’s about the money”. Are there some kids who value something more? Yes sure, but it’s mostly about the money. You’re fooling yourself if you believe otherwise.
I think countless studies would refute your statement. Gen Z, at least from a work perspective, value work/life balance far more than previous generations. It’s not all about the money from work point of view at least.

Reaction Score
Geez, if I understand correctly, many of you seem to be saying, "if you're good don't come here. If you get good, leave." Don't believe it or understand it coming from "fans". BTW, don't care one way or another about guys who leave.

Reaction Score
The only situation where you should be angry at a departing player is if they quit mid-season or opt out of a bowl game. Otherwise wish them well and appreciate their desire to raise their game. Joly played the full season (unlike others) and represented the University well, so wish him well.

Reaction Score
I mean I actually do this on a daily basis so it is not like it's my opinion. I see the actual data and anyone who thinks it is money that kids nowadays are after, probably has an issue keeping people and is paying too much. You're fooling yourself if you believe otherwise.

Reaction Score
I mean I actually do this on a daily basis so it is not like it's my opinion. I see the actual data and anyone who thinks it is money that kids nowadays are after, probably has an issue keeping people and is paying too much. You're fooling yourself if you believe otherwise.
Sort your data to exclude those kids who don’t rely on their parents to fund their excursions and you’ll see the data differently. The ones that don’t care have a safety net that allows them to pretend to care less.

Reaction Score
I think Joly is gonna put up huge numbers at NC State. McCall is a really good QB, and Isaiah Likely had some really good seasons with him at QB, could see Joly do something similar
At this stage of his career, Joly is not Likely, but maybe he can improve to become a better player. Likely had much better PFF grades than Joly across the board as he was an elite TE in college. Likely had 1 drop as a senior on 59 catches and last year Joly had 6 on 53 catches. Likely's yards after catch were better. And, Likely was a higher graded pass and run blocker than Joly.

Remember, Joly's first half of the season, he suffered from drops which was one of the reasons UConn's passing game struggled as in the first 4 games his drop rate was 20%. Joly played much better the second half of the season and you can see it in his PFF grades, drop %, yards after catch,...

I wish he stayed at UConn as he was developing and I wish him luck at NC St.

Reaction Score

People will leave if they're being treated like crap or have no room for advancement. But it seems weird to ignore the entire purpose of a job is to make money here. It's not like any of your employees would be coming in every day if it was volunteer work.

Money is the entire point of a job; it probably just means you pay people well if they're not leaving for more $$$. I can assure you young people are leaving jobs in droves to find better pay--literally had one leave yesterday for that reason.

Reaction Score
I think it’s obvious he was reading his own headlines and believes he is the next Travis Kelce and he very well may be. He is very talented for sure. But the portal is a brutal place for these kids and I would guess that just as Tennessee fell through, so did a lot of his interests and he grabbed onto one of the real offers he had. Wish he had stayed at UConn and been a big star. Maybe he could have influenced the staff to modernize the offense. I Hope he is featured in their offense as much as he hopes.

I have no concern how he is featured. All I care about is the Huskies. He is now a player for NC State. Should he make the NFL which school do you think he will mention? He is just another player at another school. Sorry, this is how I feel.

Reaction Score
At this stage of his career, Joly is not Likely, but maybe he can improve to become a better player. Likely had much better PFF grades than Joly across the board as he was an elite TE in college. Likely had 1 drop as a senior on 59 catches and last year Joly had 6 on 53 catches. Likely's yards after catch were better. And, Likely was a higher graded pass and run blocker than Joly.

Remember, Joly's first half of the season, he suffered from drops which was one of the reasons UConn's passing game struggled as in the first 4 games his drop rate was 20%. Joly played much better the second half of the season and you can see it in his PFF grades, drop %, yards after catch,...

I wish he stayed at UConn as he was developing and I wish him luck at NC St.
If you're comparing senior Likely to freshman and sophomore Joly then I agree. If you look at their numbers for freshman and sophomore numbers they're pretty similar. But that's not even really my point anyway, just saying he'll have a good opportunity at NC State with a good QB

Reaction Score
Sort your data to exclude those kids who don’t rely on their parents to fund their excursions and you’ll see the data differently. The ones that don’t care have a safety net that allows them to pretend to care less.
I don't need to sort by that. My company is a manufacturing and distribution company and most people need the money.

The opportunity to learn new things, to do different jobs, to have their voices heard, to have company volunteer opportunities at charities, having company swag available, and having events to meet people's significant others and families all effect someone's willingness to stay at our company way more than pay.

The company consists of 95% working class people who need the money. And it's not a small sample size either as we are one of the largest employers in the country. And we devote a lot of resources into understanding this as turnover can be quite the expense for us and we have a lot of competition.

Reaction Score
People will leave if they're being treated like crap or have no room for advancement. But it seems weird to ignore the entire purpose of a job is to make money here. It's not like any of your employees would be coming in every day if it was volunteer work.

Money is the entire point of a job; it probably just means you pay people well if they're not leaving for more $$$. I can assure you young people are leaving jobs in droves to find better pay--literally had one leave yesterday for that reason.
Listen, I agree is seems weird to me, but I am in my 40s. Kids are just different now. But I cannot deny that when we looked at the data, it didn't reflect that and then when we did studies on it, the amount of pay was not that important, and then when we put solutions in place that had nothing to do with raising wages, and mind you this was against what every manager in my company wanted to do, they all wanted to give more money, but we didn't and we were able to drastically reduce the quality people leaving our company. Now maybe where I work is unique, but we are one of the largest employers of working class labor in the country, so I imagine it reflects the larger mood of the younger generation pretty accurately.

Reaction Score
If you're comparing senior Likely to freshman and sophomore Joly then I agree. If you look at their numbers for freshman and sophomore numbers they're pretty similar. But that's not even really my point anyway, just saying he'll have a good opportunity at NC State with a good QB
Sophomore Likely vs. Sophomore Joly:

PFF Grades:
Offense: Likely 81.3, Joly 71.9
Receiving: Likely 81.6, Joly 73.8
Drops: Likely 74.1, Joly 59.3
Fumbles: Likely 72.6, Joly 74.6
Run Blocking: Likely 74.1, Joly. 66.0
Pass Blocking: Likely 55.8, Joly. 45.7

Drop %: Likely. 5.9%, Joly. 9.7%

Likely graded as a better TE than Joly as a sophomore and he continued to improve to become elite. Like I said, Joly has time to improve, but Likely is a very tough comp.

Reaction Score
Geez, if I understand correctly, many of you seem to be saying, "if you're good don't come here. If you get good, leave." Don't believe it or understand it coming from "fans". BTW, don't care one way or another about guys who leave.
As a mid major you need to embrace the fact that UConn is a stepping stone for kids and coaches to get to a Power Conference School.
UConn needs to market that. Hey come here for a year or two help us win. You will get noticed and have a good opportunity to earn a scholarship and NIL deals at a power conference school.

Reaction Score
The opportunity to learn new things, to do different jobs, to have their voices heard, to have company volunteer opportunities at charities, having company swag available, and having events to meet people's significant others and families all effect someone's willingness to stay at our company way more than pay.

None of this would matter if you didn't pay well. You're thinking about this wrong. People don't stay in jobs for more than 3-5 years now anyways, regardless of company culture.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Money is certainly part of it. For some the only part of it But it also helps if someone loves what they are doing. Don’t want to bore you with my family, but one kid made a fortune out of something he liked doing as a kid and would have done it for far less, and another is also getting paid for a childhood interest and while being compensated ok, could’ve made possibly a great deal more doing something else. The third one is somewhere. in between and once commented that he can’t believe his brothers are making money on their hobbies.

For the college athlete in today’s world they would probably be nuts not to look for the best situation financially so long as they also land in a decent working environment. Even though top tier college sports are kind of messed up right now. Probably some medium, happy or not, will result at some point.

Reaction Score
As a mid major you need to embrace the fact that UConn is a stepping stone for kids and coaches to get to a Power Conference School.
UConn needs to market that. Hey come here for a year or two help us win. You will get noticed and have a good opportunity to earn a scholarship and NIL deals at a power conference school.
You don't have to market yourself as JUCO basically. The way to do it is what Mora has done. Be complimentary of dudes on their way out the door. Some good ones will stay. You really think Christian Haynes and Jackson Mitchell didn't have NIL money offers out there?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom