UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle

Reaction Score
Folks also catching on to why the Portal will hurt schools like ours.
Goes both ways…. Seeing one side of equation hurts. Let’s wait to see what other side provides before making final judgement. Not saying you’re wrong, just waiting for full picture.

Reaction Score
The other side hasn’t been all that great imo. Maybe they get lucky this time.

Reaction Score
Goes both ways…. Seeing one side of equation hurts. Let’s wait to see what other side provides before making final judgement. Not saying you’re wrong, just waiting for full picture.

No need. The verdict is in.

Reaction Score
Last Cycle:
I'm more of a casual fan, just love UConn. Of those 19, who would have made a big difference in this year? Were they balanced out by incoming transfers> What do you feel the net +/- was overall?

I guess a more succinct question would be, choose between outgoing and incoming, which class would you rather have had on this the team this fall?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Now Mumu too? Didn't see that coming.. thought he played well for us on D...

This one hurts, but it's tough for me to blame him for wanting to see what his value is on the open market.

NIL and the open transfer rules have created and effective vehicle to move good players to bigger schools. Can't blame the players for taking advantage of that

Reaction Score
The other side hasn’t been all that great imo. Maybe they get lucky this time.
Not sure about that. We brought in guys in 2022 who definitely helped. Boyer-Randall for sure, the center from Dartmouth and the fullback too are guys I think of off the top. Senn, too I think was one but not certain when he came. The 2023 group was not as productive. I read somewhere and also heard Crispino say that you need to hit on 50% of your portal guys as significant contributors. You look to them as immediate “plug and play pieces” for the most part. You might also think of the rest as depth guys but only rarely as developmental players. Mora says he is looking for 12-14 portal guys, so based on that metric I’d expect 7 guys in the rotation and the rest as #2s in the depth chart in a perfect world.

Reaction Score
I am just stating it how I see it, as fans we all want to believe coaches are gonna make the right decision on players who will make us win. That is not always the case though, seeing the past couple of years of us having a qb shuffle. You may be right it may not be favoritism, but it also could be. Some players will go play for a coach who they played for before, but they aren’t going to transfer to just sit on the bench. I just wanna point out that there were some qbs like Tyler Phommachanh who was fun to watch and brought some spark into the offense after a move was made at qb. We can talk about Steven Krajewski when he played against UCF and looked like the better qb but wasn’t given a fair chance to compete for the job the previous year. My assessment is just based of comparing last year to this year. The difference I see is that ZT was a true freshman who made freshmen mistakes but also gave the offense a spark because of him willing to make plays. That’s not to say Roberson does not do that, but I felt like this year we were missing that spark at qb.
This year we were missing the ability to run the ball. Being a QB is much different when the team is running for 200 yards a game.

Reaction Score
P5 programs to any decent UConn player: "you're playing time and production will go down but here is a bag of cash to come give us depth. See you in the fall."
Just annoying to see what Marion and turner did this year, but it's where we are.

Reaction Score
WARNING: The following is a topic that nobody probably cares about. Read at your own risk.

I understand the grad transfers and the few who will make a career out of playing professional football, but do you think any of the undergraduates consider the academic implications of these transfers? Do you think any of them do a risk/reward analysis to determine the cost/benefit of receiving a high-quality education or are they solely making a decision based on football and NIL? Asking for a friend….

Reaction Score
WARNING: The following is a topic that nobody probably cares about. Read at your own risk.

I understand the grad transfers and the few who will make a career out of playing professional football, but do you think any of the undergraduates consider the academic implications of these transfers? Do you think any of them do a risk/reward analysis to determine the cost/benefit of receiving a high-quality education or are they solely making a decision based on football and NIL? Asking for a friend….
Any of them? Yes. Most of them? No.

Reaction Score
Not sure about that. We brought in guys in 2022 who definitely helped. Boyer-Randall for sure, the center from Dartmouth and the fullback too are guys I think of off the top. Senn, too I think was one but not certain when he came. The 2023 group was not as productive. I read somewhere and also heard Crispino say that you need to hit on 50% of your portal guys as significant contributors. You look to them as immediate “plug and play pieces” for the most part. You might also think of the rest as depth guys but only rarely as developmental players. Mora says he is looking for 12-14 portal guys, so based on that metric I’d expect 7 guys in the rotation and the rest as #2s in the depth chart in a perfect world.
Agreed a couple of good players for 1 season. 50% of 14 would hopefully show a difference. Senn and Robert Burns were previous to JM.

Reaction Score

I understand the grad transfers and the few who will make a career out of playing professional football, but do you think any of the undergraduates consider the academic implications of these transfers? Do you think any of them do a risk/reward analysis to determine the cost/benefit of receiving a high-quality education or are they solely making a decision based on football and NIL? Asking for a friend…
Tell your friend it's "god's plan" so no you don't need any analysis.

Reaction Score
When your long snapper needs to transfer out, ….
Probably a smart move for him. His parents flew in for every game from California, both while he was on the bench as a backup to Brian Keating and when he finally became a starter. Great family. My guess is he heads closer to home.

Also, Matt Rhule's comment:
"Make no mistake: a good quarterback in the portal costs $1 million to $1.5 million to $2 million right now."

That's why U Miami QB Tyler Van Dyke, (with what has been called an "NFL arm") is going to get $1M from either ND, an SEC team or one out West. What can we offer this hometown kid?

Reaction Score
Probably a smart move for him. His parents flew in for every game from California, both while he was on the bench as a backup to Brian Keating and when he finally became a starter. Great family. My guess is he heads closer to home.

"Make no mistake: a good quarterback in the portal costs $1 million to $1.5 million to $2 million right now."

That's why U Miami QB Tyler Van Dyke, (with what has been called an "NFL arm") is going to get $1M from either ND, an SEC team or one out West. What can we offer this hometown kid?
Playing time.

Reaction Score
Turner had 11 receptions and Marion had 20.
Not sure we missed them that much.
Maybe, but Marion was a decent outside receiver before he got hurt last year. I would argue that he would have been an upgrade in the receiver room. Turner was a catch and go type inside receiver who had better skills than anybody other receiver on our team to run those receiver screens that everyone hated on the boneyard. I think they would have made our passing attack better this year but not by any large margin.

Reaction Score

Stocking stuffers.

Reaction Score

No.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom