UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle

Reaction Score
A lot of kids are going to make foolish decisions over NIL money. Many will not understand what a commitment is or is not in that regard. Most will also not be able to balance what's in their long-term best interest versus relatively small amounts of money. I know I wouldn't have been able to balance that at their age. I would have thought that $10-20K was all the money in the world.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
With Zion leaving, it's a bummer but I think Mora and Charlton deserve the blame because of politics and on top of that it's almost as if Roberson is being named the face of the football team. When you have a qb who led us to a bowl game and is not giving the chance to be qb1 and build upon last year success, it sucks. I hate the fact last year Mora and Charlton said Zion and Roberson had a close qb competition, but they went with Roberson. This year you make it a 3 way qb competition and give the starting nod to a FCS qb from Maine. To me that is favoritism and not being fair from a players perspective. I bet if ZT was giving the starting nod, Roberson hits the portal.
It's amazing how strong of an opinion some fans have without actually being at practice. I truly believe the coaches will play the quarterback that they think will help them win. They may be wrong...but I don't think it's favoritism. They aren't risking their career and reputation on "favoritism". Charlton may lose his job for picking Fagnano... I wouldn't think he would risk that because he personally liked Fagnano.

After seeing Turner play last year....and Roberson this year...I didn't see enough of Fagnano to know for sure he wasn't the best.

Zion seemed like a great guy and great teammate. Good luck to him on his journey!

Reaction Score
With Zion leaving, it's a bummer but I think Mora and Charlton deserve the blame because of politics and on top of that it's almost as if Roberson is being named the face of the football team. When you have a qb who led us to a bowl game and is not giving the chance to be qb1 and build upon last year success, it sucks. I hate the fact last year Mora and Charlton said Zion and Roberson had a close qb competition, but they went with Roberson. This year you make it a 3 way qb competition and give the starting nod to a FCS qb from Maine. To me that is favoritism and not being fair from a players perspective. I bet if ZT was giving the starting nod, Roberson hits the portal.
Zion had the worst PFF grade of any UConn starting QB in over 10 years. Sure, he was a freshman and he would probably improve, but he struggled. At every school in the portal era, you are lucky to keep 1 QB and we all need to get used to it. And, the opportunity to get a highly rated HS QB is much greater through he portal than from HS for a school like UConn. Look at Georgia. They have 2 top 15 QBs coming in next year and had one top 10 QB in the 2022 class so probably one or two will leave in a season or two.

Reaction Score
A lot of kids are going to make foolish decisions over NIL money. Many will not understand what a commitment is or is not in that regard. Most will also not be able to balance what's in their long-term best interest versus relatively small amounts of money. I know I wouldn't have been able to balance that at their age. I would have thought that $10-20K was all the money in the world.

When you are 90+ and you look back $20K was a lot of money in the early 50’s. I kid….

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
That sucks about Zion. The kid stepped in and turned a potential disaster into a salvageable season, and he did it with class. It's baffling that he didn't get more playing time this season, so I can't fault his desire to leave, especially when the "better" QB only got half as many wins as Zion did last year (which is a gross simplification considering we had a better running game last year). I wish Zion well.

Damn, now we lost Mumu too?!?!

Reaction Score
Look,Roberson won the job two years in a row over Turner because he practiced better. The reason Zion got no time was every snap was important in getting the rust off of Roberson and speeding up his development. I think Macdonald got in the Umass game because he’s a local with fam and friends in the stands.

Reaction Score
This might be a hot take, but I don’t think NIL is the reason why any of these guys transferred this season.

Lack of playing time combined with the new uninhibited transfer rule means if you aren’t playing you are out.

Burns had 1,000 yards as a G5 WR and wasn’t playing much here….

Reaction Score
This might be a hot take, but I don’t think NIL is the reason why any of these guys transferred this season.

Lack of playing time combined with the new uninhibited transfer rule means if you aren’t playing you are out.

Burns had 1,000 yards as a G5 WR and wasn’t playing much here….
I definitely agree!!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There is a hell of a lot of conjecture in this post. Do you know any of your assertions as facts or are you merely jumping to conclusions on what actually happened?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I had a feeling Zion was gonna bolt. I think he’s the type of player that with the right program and with some time, he could develop into a stud QB. He wants to play now. I’m not sure transferring will get him what he’s looking for. Best of luck to him

Reaction Score
The portal is reality and you have to expect 15 to 25 athletes to hit the portal every year from your team. Here are the number of outbound transfers from some schools from last year:

Oregon 36
Florida 27
Cincinnati 25
Oklahoma 25
FSU 22
LSU 21
Alabama 20
Texas 20
USC 20
Georgia 16
Michigan 14
Clemson 12