UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Given the high-profile departures, I have to wonder whether we have a systematic problem, mainly being able to pony up the truckloads of cash that are currently the status quo for for NIL, or whether we have a clubhouse problem. I suppose it could be both.
There is a systemic problem, it's that we haven't looked like a competent FBS program since most of the kids we are discussing were playing pee wee football.

I could well be wrong in this case but I believe the most difficult hurdle in retaining Joly would have been in convincing him that he would have the opportunity here to truly display his skills in a manner similar to a school that puts pass catchers in the league on a regular basis and QBs on a semi-regular basis.

A player like Joly is a luxury at the moment that we currently cannot utilize to the fullest benefit. It's kind of like giving a homeless person a 90% discount on a new Bugatti.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Sucks losing Joly. Hope he makes it big and comes back as a donor someday.

I also hope the transfer incoming thread has less of a feeling of existential dread than this one.

Reaction Score
Queue the Queen song "Another one Bites The Dust" ( and another gone, another one gone )

Reaction Score
And yet Senn and Stafford said they were staying.

Win some and lose some. Don’t be a Drama Queen.

Justin Joly has options to play at bigger programs like Colorado, Tennessee and more. We cant expect to hold onto these guys. Bigger programs than us are losing talent upwards.
You do know that the first to call someone a name loses, right? And that is all you ever seem to have.

Reaction Score
The portal is happening at every school. On the list of kids leaving, a couple of them will have a better opportunity and some might have no opportunities. This is happening all over college football. What you hope is that you figure out a balance between developing HS players and bringing in portal players. Bottom line, you need good coaches to develop players.

Reaction Score
1000002338.png

Reaction Score
The portal is happening at every school. On the list of kids leaving, a couple of them will have a better opportunity and some might have no opportunities. This is happening all over college football. What you hope is that you figure out a balance between developing HS players and bringing in portal players. Bottom line, you need good coaches to develop players.

Yup. Every school will have 20-30 kids in the portal.

We could be a Top 40 program and still lose dudes. I don’t see why we would be an exception.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Men’s and WBB already have their own NIL money. Why should football hand over their money?

I don’t get you people at all.
Agreed we are not in competition to outbid Bama. But get NIL competitive and you could close the gap in your P4 neighbors in quick fashion.

Reaction Score
I wonder if even a modestly successful season would have encouraged some guys to stick around, or if these are all 100% NIL-based transfers no matter what our record was. IMO, as soon as the PAT got blocked against Utah State and we became 0-5, the rest of the season effectively became a 7-week audition for larger programs to poach the remaining talent.
Getting more (or some) NIL money is hardly the only reason to leave. Joly's ability to break tackles will give him a chance to play at a bigger school. The only rule change that might have contributed to his leaving was the ability to transfer once pre-graduation without sitting a year,.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It feels like there either needs to be a cap on the money or a restriction on how often or when can transfer. Or both.

This isn't sustainable.
Here's a crazy stat. In men's college basketball, about 5 players per school went to the portal last year. Makes sense as UConn had 4.

Reaction Score
Noe got a raw deal this year. He should have been the starter from day 1
Lots of schools looking for a good kicker
Agreed. I don't remember his precise stats from last year, but I do remember being more confident when he went for a 50 harder last year than when McFadden was going for <40 this year

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom