UCONN/OSU comparison | The Boneyard

UCONN/OSU comparison

Reaction Score
Thought it might be fun, if any of you folks have now seen both UCONN and Ohio State in action, to compare the two teams regarding their strengths, weaknesses, potential and any other dimensions you'd enjoy discussing.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Well, the obvious...UCONN is 1-0, OSU is 1-1, losing to a very good lower ranked team.
One thing that was curious to me was why in the OSU/Stanford game, OSU played the Cardinal much better in the second half than UConn did. OSU increased their lead, UConn lost the second half, score wise and possibly effort wise.
OSU has two monster players, UConn 6, possibly 7 monster players.

Reaction Score
OSU will score points from one or 2 players... but can only pray they score more than their opponent because they don't like to play defense.

UCONN can score from anyone on the floor... and will defend most teams as well.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Here's one thought on the Ohio St and Louisville game. Good lord man, when is/was Kevin McGuff going to put a player to "shadow" Asia Durr? After 20, 30, 40 points?
Did you have the same thought when Morgan William was lighting UConn up?

Reaction Score

I wrote that game up to lack of depth, "stuff" happens...but Asia Durr, it kept happening....kept happening...kept happening...

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Hey the score tells it all no defense on either side and Durr was on fire. UConn plays defense and either team would get blown out by UConn. I wont compare UConns second half to either team because the circumstances were different. Both Ohio St and LVille were fighting to win and UConn game was over in the second qtr.

Reaction Score

"Lighting UConn up"? William was 6-17 for all of 13pts! Since when is that "lighting" a team up?

JordyG

Reaction Score
Bigggg difference!! Ohio St had McGuff and Uconn had Geno---see the difference???
There's a difference? Didn't OSU light up the Husky's in their last meeting?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Can tOSU have more than 2 players score in double digits consistently? Maybe.
Can UConn have more than 2 players score in double digits consistently? Absolutely!

Can tOSU play consistent defense? No.
Can UConn play consistent defense? Absolutely!

End of discussion.

Reaction Score
There's a difference? Didn't OSU light up the Husky's in their last meeting?
Ok let me rephrase my comment: Uconn is Uconn and OSU is OSU---simple isn't it?? You got it wrong: It was Edison who lit up Manhattan.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Hey the score tells it all no defense on either side and Durr was on fire. UConn plays defense and either team would get blown out by UConn. I wont compare UConns second half to either team because the circumstances were different. Both Ohio St and LVille were fighting to win and UConn game was over in the second qtr.

I have to respectfully disagree with this assessment (and it is always risky to disagree with the highly respected and revered @Tonyc on this board), especially as it pertains to high-level basketball among elite teams.

People on this board often say things such as, "No defense is played in the NBA." This simply is NOT true. In the NBA, great offense beats great defense. Players' abilities, such as elevating, leaping ability, creating space in the air, and pure athleticism, can overcome great defense. Yes, there are players - even great players - who do not hustle on the defensive end (e.g., James Harden). But someone allowing a putback dunk is not necessarily due to bad defense or not blocking out; it is because the offensive player has such incredible leaping ability to "go over the top" or has the athletic prowess/skills to overcome the defender.

Now, it is very different in women's basketball, which is below the rim and does not have nearly the shotmakers or players who can create their own shots as in the NBA.

BUT to say "the score tells it all no defense on either side" fails to account for the prowess of both Asia Durr and Kelsey Mitchell, two players are among the elite in terms of creating their own shots. It is a misleading statement.

Now, if you watched the game and saw that multiple attempts were unguarded, that is one thing. But making a conclusion about the defensive effort from the box score alone is not accurate, IMHO.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Ok let me rephrase my comment: Uconn is Uconn and OSU is OSU---simple isn't it?? You got it wrong: It was Edison who lit up Manhattan.
Darn skippy! Yet it should have been Tesla. Are you saying Edison is better than Tesla?

Man I'm such a sad/bad troller.

JordyG

Reaction Score
OSU wouldn't light up Uconn if they were the Uconn chihuahua's.
Yeah yeah, blame it on the dog. But what's generally coming out of OSU these last years was a human smell.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I have to respectfully disagree with this assessment (and it is always risky to disagree with the highly respected and revered @Tonyc on this board), especially as it pertains to high-level basketball among elite teams.

People on this board often say things such as, "No defense is played in the NBA." This simply is NOT true. In the NBA, great offense beats great defense. Players' abilities, such as elevating, leaping ability, creating space in the air, and pure athleticism, can overcome great defense. Yes, there are players - even great players - who do not hustle on the defensive end (e.g., James Harden). But someone allowing a putback dunk is not necessarily due to bad defense or not blocking out; it is because the offensive player has such incredible leaping ability to "go over the top" or has the athletic prowess/skills to overcome the defender.

Now, it is very different in women's basketball, which is below the rim and does not have nearly the shotmakers or players who can create their own shots as in the NBA.

BUT to say "the score tells it all no defense on either side" fails to account for the prowess of both Asia Durr and Kelsey Mitchell, two players are among the elite in terms of creating their own shots. It is a misleading statement.

Now, if you watched the game and saw that multiple attempts were unguarded, that is one thing. But making a conclusion about the defensive effort from the box score alone is not accurate, IMHO.

Agree with Cam. I only saw the first half, but Louisville did a MUCH better job guarding Mitchell while OSU seemed to lose Durr too many times (that being said, she made some amazing shots). The reason OSU was only down 1 at the half though was that Mitchell smartly found the open players, and to their credit, they knocked down a ton of 3's.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
tOSU crushed Stanford on the boards, especially O boards, while Stanford outrebounded UConn. That probably says more about Stanford's response/adjustments after the first game than it does about either tOSU or UConn. Louisville crushed tOSU on the glass and only gave up four O boards. Mavunga only had 6 rebounds after grabbing 26 against Stanford. Bottom line: can't really draw any strong conclusions after 1 or 2 games.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I definitely agree. In this game, stellar shot making and high pace led to the high scoring game. I did not see lack of effort or intensity on defense.

Reaction Score
Bottom line: Offense--UConn better; Defense--UConn better; Coach--UConn better. Ergo: No comparison. Huskies are incomparable!

Reaction Score
Darn skippy! Yet it should have been Tesla. Are you saying Edison is better than Tesla?

Man I'm such a sad/bad troller.
'

No but Tesla had no skin in the game; all the money belonged to Westinghouse, who used Tesla's AC to create a use-able long distance Transmission system. Edison, a childhood hero, was a prolific inventor and user of inventors and poor judgement about DC. Tesla was a demented genus. Westinghouse used him. His wacky invention was his Long Island power transmission site--but the best is: he is living in the jungles of Brazil in an underground country with Edison and a dozen or more supposedly dead scientists--with a space port and space submarines. How can that be denied???

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom