UCONN/OSU comparison | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN/OSU comparison

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Of course you're right and I take responsibility for trolling. Still, in my mind Morgan scored 50 in the loss.
I think she had 41 in the prior game against Baylor. She did light them up.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
'

No but Tesla had no skin in the game; all the money belonged to Westinghouse, who used Tesla's AC to create a use-able long distance Transmission system. Edison, a childhood hero, was a prolific inventor and user of inventors and poor judgement about DC. Tesla was a demented genus. Westinghouse used him. His wacky invention was his Long Island power transmission site--but the best is: he is living in the jungles of Brazil in an underground country with Edison and a dozen or more supposedly dead scientists--with a space port and space submarines. How can that be denied???
Well, partially true. Tesla's design was for AC electricity to be transmitted wirelessly, and his transmission tower was funded by Carnegie. Tesla proved that his would easily work. However, Tesla didn't really tell Carnegie of his plan, and that his funding was for worldwide wireless transmission, which would basically be free electricity for all. Once Carnegie got wind of the truth he pulled his funding and that was that. Tesla by the way invented what he called a death ray during WW2. The government for a while considered this ray which Tesla proved in theory would work. However, again, when they found his plan included giving the secret of it to every nation by which ending all wars, the government cracked down on that idea, and went with Einstein's idea instead. Perhaps someone on the BY with more knowledge of this will chime in here.

As for Tesla and his being demented, Tesla believed that his inspirations came to him not on his own. He insisted that while in a trance, aliens were contacting him giving him full fledged plans and diagrams. All in one fell swoop, which he then upon awakening merely wrote down. This is similar to the great (perhaps greatest) mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan who said the goddess Kuladevata recited these groundbreaking theorems to him whole hog while he too was in a trance. Which he upon awakening wrote down. No one ever called him demented. Einstein said his theories came to him while he was in a pseudo trance which he called "thought experiments". All of this around the same time.

Reaction Score
Well, partially true. Tesla's design was for AC electricity to be transmitted wirelessly, and his transmission tower was funded by Carnegie. Tesla proved that his would easily work. However, Tesla didn't really tell Carnegie of his plan, and that his funding was for worldwide wireless transmission, which would basically be free electricity for all. Once Carnegie got wind of the truth he pulled his funding and that was that. Tesla by the way invented what he called a death ray during WW2. The government for a while considered this ray which Tesla proved in theory would work. However, again, when they found his plan included giving the secret of it to every nation by which ending all wars, the government cracked down on that idea, and went with Einstein's idea instead. Perhaps someone on the BY with more knowledge of this will chime in here.

As for Tesla and his being demented, Tesla believed that his inspirations came to him not on his own. He insisted that while in a trance, aliens were contacting him giving him full fledged plans and diagrams. All in one fell swoop, which he then upon awakening merely wrote down. This is similar to the great (perhaps greatest) mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan who said the goddess Kuladevata recited these groundbreaking theorems to him whole hog while he too was in a trance. Which he upon awakening wrote down. No one ever called him demented. Einstein said his theories came to him while he was in a pseudo trance which he called "thought experiments". All of this around the same time.

Tesla's transmission of power--poorly thought out. If you use low frequencies the equipment to do it is large. If you use high frequencies the amount of power is limited i.e. inversely proportional to the distance squared. Implying again the size of equipment to transmit power needed by the average home extremely large. A better choice is the Fuel Cell. Unless he found a way to not use generated frequencies. But the long Island facility used frequencies and extreme power generated on site. Yes one did call him demented--I did for the reason you exposed. Aliens, little men--don't believe in them.
Tesla's devices for war if really effective would have been copied by Adolph --his scientists, among the best in the world, were willing to spend German money trying to develp any weapon to defeat the world. I won't deny that weapon using laser technology may exist. '\

Reaction Score

Wikiepedia --Wireless power transmisssion:
After 1890, Tesla experimented with transmitting power by inductive and capacitive coupling using high AC voltages generated with his Tesla coil.[100] He attempted to develop a wireless lighting system based on near-field inductive and capacitive coupling and conducted a series of public demonstrations where he lit Geissler tubes and even incandescent light bulbs from across a stage.[101] He would spend most of the decade working on variations of this new form of lighting with the help of various investors but none of the ventures succeeded in making a commercial product out of his findings.[102]\\

Death Ray:

so-called 'death rays.' Rays are not applicable because they cannot be produced in requisite quantities and diminish rapidly in intensity with distance. All the energy of New York City (approximately two million horsepower) transformed into rays and projected twenty miles, could not kill a human being, because, according to a well known law of physics, it would disperse to such an extent as to be ineffectual. My apparatus projects particles ..."[5]

Reaction Score
Well, the obvious...UCONN is 1-0, OSU is 1-1, losing to a very good lower ranked team.
One thing that was curious to me was why in the OSU/Stanford game, OSU played the Cardinal much better in the second half than UConn did. OSU increased their lead, UConn lost the second half, score wise and possibly effort wise.
OSU has two monster players, UConn 6, possibly 7 monster players.

The starters of Ohio State played 164 of 200 minutes.
The UCONN starters played 111 of 200 minutes. Not much more than half the game.

Players 8,9 and 10 for Ohio State played 4 total minutes. Which means at worst they had players 6,7,8, 9 and 10 on the floor together for 1 minute.
Players 8,9 10, 11 and 12 for UCONN played 21 total minutes.

Reaction Score
After 1890, Tesla experimented with transmitting power by inductive and capacitive coupling using high AC voltages generated with his Tesla coil.[100] He attempted to develop a wireless lighting system based on near-field inductive and capacitive coupling and conducted a series of public demonstrations where he lit Geissler tubes and even incandescent light bulbs from across a stage.[101] He would spend most of the decade working on variations of this new form of lighting with the help of various investors but none of the ventures succeeded in making a commercial product out of his findings.[102]\\

Death Ray:

so-called 'death rays.' Rays are not applicable because they cannot be produced in requisite quantities and diminish rapidly in intensity with distance. All the energy of New York City (approximately two million horsepower) transformed into rays and projected twenty miles, could not kill a human being, because, according to a well known law of physics, it would disperse to such an extent as to be ineffectual. My apparatus projects particles ..."[5]

Edison's Revenge: The Rise of DC Power

JordyG

Reaction Score

Death Ray:

That huge tower he built in Shoreham, NY, was the big test which he never got to use. Notice the Wiki said he failed to make a "commercial product out of his findings" because in the event of its implementation no one would make any money from it. Free electricity and all.

And indeed the cursory examination of Tesla's equations, (which were pretty much over the shoulder observations since Tesla refused to let anyone see their full extent) showed it was a particle beam weapon. All of his papers were confiscated by the government after his death. The reality is whether you believe his "telepathic alien" thing or not, that guy was a true unadorned genius.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Tesla's transmission of power--poorly thought out. If you use low frequencies the equipment to do it is large. If you use high frequencies the amount of power is limited i.e. inversely proportional to the distance squared. Implying again the size of equipment to transmit power needed by the average home extremely large. A better choice is the Fuel Cell. Unless he found a way to not use generated frequencies. But the long Island facility used frequencies and extreme power generated on site. Yes one did call him demented--I did for the reason you exposed. Aliens, little men--don't believe in them.
Tesla's devices for war if really effective would have been copied by Adolph --his scientists, among the best in the world, were willing to spend German money trying to develp any weapon to defeat the world. I won't deny that weapon using laser technology may exist. '\
Wasn't Tesla idea was to transmit underground obviating somewhat, or to a large amount, the dissipation of energy? Trust me, I sure ain't no scientist.

Reaction Score
Hey the score tells it all no defense on either side and Durr was on fire. UConn plays defense and either team would get blown out by UConn. I wont compare UConns second half to either team because the circumstances were different. Both Ohio St and LVille were fighting to win and UConn game was over in the second qtr.
...huh, 1st quarter!

Reaction Score
Yes... And I bet in hindsight Geno did too. I recall hearing/reading a quote from him saying he made coaching decision mistakes during that game. Not sure if he ever elaborated, but that would probably be one of them...
Geno said he should have forced the tempo instead of playing at Miss. States pace! I agree.

Reaction Score
I knew some state fans would want to make the comparison, looking for justification/hope for a good season and FF. I think State may be good enough to make the FF because they could be lumped in to a group of teams that have talent but aren’t at UCONN (and maybe a couple others) level.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The starters of Ohio State played 164 of 200 minutes.
The UCONN starters played 111 of 200 minutes. Not much more than half the game.

Players 8,9 and 10 for Ohio State played 4 total minutes. Which means at worst they had players 6,7,8, 9 and 10 on the floor together for 1 minute.
Players 8,9 10, 11 and 12 for UCONN played 21 total minutes.
I think that I was trying to imply that in almost every UConn game, the game's starting 5 players will go on a run and build on any lead that they had at half time. That didn't happen against Stanford but did happen for OSU in their game against the Cardinal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom