UConn opens as 33 point underdog at Utah State in Week 0 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn opens as 33 point underdog at Utah State in Week 0

Reaction Score
Things can turn around..

Wake Forest, last season, was AP #15 and an 11 game winner...after a losing season year before last...and the Deacons had a coupkle of three win seasons 6-7 seasons back.
It took a few years for Clawson to turn the train wreck around. And he did it without a transfer portal.

Reaction Score
We are ranked preseason @ 130 with UMass @ 129 with identical records but their win being over us...... U St is 24.
Not that it really matters, but I am pretty sure those are the final rankings from last season not the pre-season rankings for 2022-2023.

Reaction Score
It took a few years for Clawson to turn the train wreck around. And he did it without a transfer portal.
We've been in a different boat up here, so me thinks we benefited from the portal... we need it...

Reaction Score
We've been in a different boat up here, so me thinks we benefited from the portal... we need it...
True. I should have said he didn’t have the portal available to him. My gut is that Mora has used the portal very well and will yield tangible dividends this year. But since my gut has been so wrong lately, I need to see it with my own eyes.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I think we will lose but not by 29. If we somehow win this game, that would mean either Utah State is far worse than people assume or UConn is going to be really good next year. Aka I don’t think it’s going to happen.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
To win on a Utah bet...tthe score would have to be beyond 40-7....33 points is a lot to overcome.
I understand how point spreads work. We're booty against the spread the last several years.

Reaction Score
True. I should have said he didn’t have the portal available to him. My gut is that Mora has used the portal very well and will yield tangible dividends this year. But since my gut has been so wrong lately, I need to see it with my own eyes.
I'm with you brother... my glass half full mindset through all of this has been leaning towards glass half empty as of late...Let's see what happens this upcoming Fall..

Reaction Score
I need to see who Utah State has coming back on the offensive line and at quarterback. If it's not something special then the spread is waay too high.
They return their QB Bonner (who will amazingly be in his 7th season of college football, between COVID year, injury year and a normal RS) and 4/5ths of the offensive line. They replaced departed receivers with a pair of P5 transfers.

Reaction Score
Obviously there are a lot of question marks surrounding a 1 win team breaking in a new QB, multiple coaches, and losing their best player on D. Throw in difficult conditions to adjust to with altitude, and I see where the large number is coming from. That said 33 points is a huge # for USU to cover. They have their own question marks as well, not to mention not wanting to put too much on film for Alabama. I refuse to believe that this team will be worse than an Edsall led program. I don’t see UConn threatening to win but I could see them keeping it within 4 touchdowns.

Reaction Score
USU lost their best offensive player in Devin Thompkins, WR. They also lose a bunch of dudes on defense I believe. This spread seems....aggressive. There's value there methinks.

Separately-here's their QB. Anyone wanna hazard a guess on how many years of eligibility he has remaining? For the life of me this looks like he could get another 2 seasons which would give him 7(!)

Reaction Score
I'm with you brother... my glass half full mindset through all of this has been leaning towards glass half empty as of late...Let's see what happens this upcoming Fall..
I will always keep the faith. That’s the way I’m wired

Reaction Score
Separately-here's their QB. Anyone wanna hazard a guess on how many years of eligibility he has remaining? For the life of me this looks like he could get another 2 seasons which would give him 7(!)
This will be his 7th season. He redshirted with Ark. State in 2016 (before the redshirt rule allowed you to play 4 games (which wasn't in place until 2018))... he got an extra year as an injury redshirt after getting hurt in 2019. Then an extra year for COVID to get him 7.

They did replace the departed WR with a couple of guys from P5 programs (one from Bama and one from Maryland).

Reaction Score
This will be his 7th season. He redshirted with Ark. State in 2016 (before the redshirt rule allowed you to play 4 games (which wasn't in place until 2018))... he got an extra year as an injury redshirt after getting hurt in 2019. Then an extra year for COVID to get him 7.

They did replace the departed WR with a couple of guys from P5 programs (one from Bama and one from Maryland).
36 TD passes last year! How many years do we need to add together, going backwards, to get to 36 TD passes? I watched a couple of their games last year, he was very good. Maybe this year will be the year we finally get an air attack back.
No matter the results of game 1, I can't wait for the first home game with our new team!

TIME FOR THE REVOLUTION TO BEGIN!!!!!

Reaction Score
anyone who bets has a problem.
i have faith in Coach Mora.
But, it is a wait-n-see.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
just sayin'...33 point looks like a good Husky bet..
The spread has been dropping because people are putting money on us to cover. Fade the public. We didn't cover several 30+ point spreads last year.

Reaction Score
The spread has been dropping because people are putting money on us to cover. Fade the public. We didn't cover several 30+ point spreads last year.
Ok, so your take is the public doesn’t know anything and the coaching staffs from last year and this year have similar game plans? Do I have that right?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Ok, so your take is the public doesn’t know anything and the coaching staffs from last year and this year have similar game plans? Do I have that right?
Phil is just pointing out a simple winning formula for the past decade.

Needless to say I hope this is the year the formula fails.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom