UConn opens as 33 point underdog at Utah State in Week 0 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn opens as 33 point underdog at Utah State in Week 0

Reaction Score
The spread has been dropping because people are putting money on us to cover. Fade the public. We didn't cover several 30+ point spreads last year.

I gamble and I have a rule - never place a bet against a UCONN opponent. If I did not have that rule Utah State -29 looks like a good bet to cover -27 would be a no brainer though

Reaction Score
Ok, so your take is the public doesn’t know anything and the coaching staffs from last year and this year have similar game plans? Do I have that right?
No he is saying UCONN has been abysmal against the spread the last several years.

Reaction Score
I don't gamble but I see why the line is what it is.. going almost cross country in an opener with so much uncertainty. I'm buying into Mora pretty heavily now - I seriously think that UConn put more effort into their coaching search than some NFL teams (Jets, for example - although they certainly upgraded their roster) - but no one outside of Connecticut is going to jump all in on Mora and what's going on without results.

I'd probably take UConn with the spread if I had to put money on this game but I'd also avoid this game if I was taking gambling seriously. Utah State can be notoriously slow to start against lesser opponents - but also that's a pretty decent home field advantage they have there and they had a nice second half of the year last year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
To win on a Utah bet...tthe score would have to be beyond 40-7....33 points is a lot to overcome.

UConn is definitely giving up more than 40. Competent top 25 teams give up 40 points in conference games.

The only question on the 33 point spread is if you think UConn can get their point total in to the 20's. If you don't think UConn can score at least 20, take Utah St.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Ok, so your take is the public doesn’t know anything and the coaching staffs from last year and this year have similar game plans? Do I have that right?
My take is that I made a lot of money betting against us because I have eyes and until they see something different I’m not changing my strategy.

phillionaire

Reaction Score
I gamble and I have a rule - never place a bet against a UCONN opponent. If I did not have that rule Utah State -29 looks like a good bet to cover -27 would be a no brainer though
I get suckered into taking the over on win totals every season because there's no way we win fewer than 2.5 games and I have to make my money back somehow

Reaction Score
I get suckered into taking the over on win totals every season because there's no way we win fewer than 2.5 games and I have to make my money back somehow
I feel pretty good about the over on 2.5 (I think they will win 3-4 games this year). Central isn't close to HC or Yale and UMass is at home this year and hopefully most of the coaching staff won't have covid that day. That's 2 wins. Getting another win on that schedule is likely. They played 9 post-season teams last year (counting Holy Cross.. and i believe they all won at least 1 bowl/post season game)... that won't happen this year. The non-post season teams were Yale (win), UMass (coaching staff has covid, depleted roster) and Vandy (BS Pass Interference call). They'll get 3 this year.

Reaction Score
We still have the same DC as last yr so that’ll be a similar game plan with no disguising pre-snap
Maybe... I actually liked the way the defense played the last couple of games in the first few series (Clemson and Houston games both had some major improvement on defense in first halves) - but they looked bad at the end because we had a D-III offense and the defense was on the field forever. I'm actually worried that the losses on the D-Line make our defense worse than last year... but at least they won't be on the field 75% of the game this year.

Hopefully they do more disguising/changing sets now that they have a far more experience group at LB/DB with the transfers and guys with snaps under the belt. They are going to have to. They aren't going to automatically win the line of scrimmage the first 3 or 4 series of the game anymore (like they did against Fresno St, Clemson, Houston... not Purdue or Army though! LOL)

Reaction Score
That's a fair spread.

I said before we will know what success looks like when we see it. Utah State is a very quality opponent and this is a first year staff and we have a ton of player turnover.

That being said. Its the first week and weird things happen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We still have the same DC as last yr so that’ll be a similar game plan with no disguising pre-snap
This is my great fear for the season. I hope that you are wrong.

phillionaire

Reaction Score
I feel pretty good about the over on 2.5 (I think they will win 3-4 games this year). Central isn't close to HC or Yale and UMass is at home this year and hopefully most of the coaching staff won't have covid that day. That's 2 wins. Getting another win on that schedule is likely. They played 9 post-season teams last year (counting Holy Cross.. and i believe they all won at least 1 bowl/post season game)... that won't happen this year. The non-post season teams were Yale (win), UMass (coaching staff has covid, depleted roster) and Vandy (BS Pass Interference call). They'll get 3 this year.
That’s what I tell myself every year haha

Reaction Score
Totally wrong. Mora is a defensive coach who will make adjustments with Spanos. The big key is our personal. Hopefully we have some quality depth.

Reaction Score
I believe USU’s following game is @ Alabama in Tuscaloosa.

Let’s start them off 0-2 shall we?

Reaction Score
Different HC who is also a Defensive wiz. We'll see whether or not you are right. I'm guessing no.
Totally wrong. Mora is a defensive coach who will make adjustments with Spanos. The big key is our personal. Hopefully we have some quality depth.
There’s some on this board last yr saying that as soon as Spanos became interim he had no role in the defense that it was all on horton

Reaction Score
I’m not so sure, since we have a new HC with a DB/DC pedigree. With Edsall gone I think we might see more safety/DB blitzing.

phillionaire

Reaction Score
I can’t say the last 10 years were fun.
Idk some of our losses were pretty funny in retrospect. Remember the fake field goals against Missouri?

Reaction Score
Idk some of our losses were pretty funny in retrospect. Remember the fake field goals against Missouri?
Honest question? How many UConn coaches caught passes just standing on the sidelines over the last ten years?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom