UConn (only) Recruiting Speculation | The Boneyard

UConn (only) Recruiting Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Time to get this thread up and going again! As always, no lineup analysis, please. Use one of the other 3,563 threads for that. Also, DO NOT trash other players or coaches, that will get this thread shut down immediately.

UConn recruiting speculation welcome here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

I had already ruled Jazzy Davidson as not going to UConn, but this changes everything! In the past, she has had really good things to say about Geno. She was quoted as saying she “admires Geno and Tara”. So I’d say we have that going in our favor! In the past she has said that she wants a program with good academics and basketball and a good culture of the program. I think her top 6 reflects that pretty well, but hard to contend with UConn when it comes to good basketball and good program culture. Anyone else have any thoughts about Jazzy going to UConn? Or why she would choose another program over UConn?

Reaction Score

I had already ruled Jazzy Davidson as not going to UConn, but this changes everything! In the past, she has had really good things to say about Geno. She was quoted as saying she “admires Geno and Tara”. So I’d say we have that going in our favor! In the past she has said that she wants a program with good academics and basketball and a good culture of the program. I think her top 6 reflects that pretty well, but hard to contend with UConn when it comes to good basketball and good program culture. Anyone else have any thoughts about Jazzy going to UConn? Or why she would choose another program over UConn?
she's afraid of dogs?.........:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Tara being Stanford Tara? Retired Tara? If that’s the case, I think we could be a front runner, but until she visits we’ll see.

Reaction Score
My spidey sense tells me that 3 recruits is probable for next year, but 4 is only a possibility. This may mean choosing between Lara and Jazzy and in such a case I'd choose Lara. A lot of assumptions going into this which don't all need to be spelled out here, but one of them is that Geno may prefer to keep the team to 14 scholarships.

Reaction Score
My spidey sense tells me that 3 recruits is probable for next year, but 4 is only a possibility. This may mean choosing between Lara and Jazzy and in such a case I'd choose Lara. A lot of assumptions going into this which don't all need to be spelled out here, but one of them is that Geno may prefer to keep the team to 14 scholarships.
We’re losing Paige and Aubrey for sure next season right? How many spots do we have after they leave? 3?

Reaction Score
We’re losing Paige and Aubrey for sure next season right? How many spots do we have after they leave? 3?

And Kaitlyn. There also 1 roster spot open

Reaction Score
Only Kaitlyn and Aubrey will be out of eligibility.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
IMG_3093.jpeg

Reaction Score

When you ask about any thoughts about Jazzy going to UConn, how could it not be also about some sort of lineup analysis? If you are speculating about a recruit, you are also speculating about a position of need or a position to add to make it stronger, are you not? Therefore, there is an implication that someone is going to get bumped, correct? And that you have done some sort of position anaylsis, correct?

IMO Jazzy is the #1 option. to get for the next year UCONN Teams are built the best on superstars. The more superstars you have in your lineup at different positions, the more successful you are most likely to be along with when one superstar leaves one year it's good to have another following the very next sort of like SOCar having Boston then Cardoso. When you are the number 3 recruit and you fit right into how a player like Jazzy wants to play and how UCONN will play, her stye fits amazingly well into what UCONN wants to do. At UCONN she will never have to worry about being doubled much as a strategy or similar to. And UCONN sets up their Offense designed for superstars to play well and she would win a ton and get national exposure a ton.

With all this said - she also fits amazingly well into any other good program. And there are great coaches on other teams too along with some other power teams that are stacked that she would fit well anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think you have the priority order correct if there can only be one, namely Lara first, mostly due to need. But if we have two then Lara and Jazzy is probably the best combo. The plan B or C is more limited if we miss on Lara, but if we can't get Jazzy, Maker or Prawl are decent options on the wing.

A roster of a planned 14 year in and year out is probably pretty ideal. If you lose a player or two you weren't counting on you still likely have enough, and when unanticipated things happen, having one known portal option every summer to fill whatever need you have offers great flexibility IMO. I fell for the coaches and staff that have to tell recruits they aren't sure how many spots they have.

The end of the Covid years will help, but certainly as Uconn has seen the medical redshirts can add plenty of unanticipated years to a recruit's career also. Makes planning and recruiting very difficult.

Reaction Score

This is purely speculation, but Jazzy added UConn back to her finalists after the news of Geno’s extension came out. I think that’s a good sign knowing his current contract would run through her 4 years there.

Hopefully she enjoyed playing with Sarah with U18.

Reaction Score
This is purely speculation, but Jazzy added UConn back to her finalists after the news of Geno’s extension came out. I think that’s a good sign knowing his current contract would run through her 4 years there.

Hopefully she enjoyed playing with Sarah with U18.
Because she removed UConn from her list when it wasn’t clear if Geno would be there for her whole career, it makes me wonder if there are other aspects about Uconn that weren’t appealing to her. I understand wanting to go to Uconn specifically because of Geno, but to take them completely off your list because of the possibility Geno might leave at some point makes me question where we rank in her final schools. I am surprised that Stanford did not make her list (her social media made it seem like she was really interested in Stanford). But maybe Tara really was the draw for her, just like Geno is the draw to UConn. With that logic, I like our chances now.

Reaction Score

Sportsengine publishes on one of its sites, a ranking of international players, as well as the NCAA College they have chosen. Of course, these rankings are always subjective, but this one is interesting nonetheless. The attached page is the 2024 Global Rankings. In second place we can see Clara Silva, for whom UConn had shown interest, but who eventually accepted the offer from the former Virginia Tech coach and went on to follow him with Kentucky. I'd just like to point out that some of the players on this list still seem to be available.

I'm particularly interested in Awa Fam (6'4) from Spain who turned 18 last month. The last publication I found with a possible move to the USA was a few months ago (see attachment), so I also think she should be higher up on this list. She was selected last year on the second all-star team of the U19 World Championship and is old enough to return next year. Tomorrow it's off to the U20 championship in which Gandy Malou-Mamel plays, so I've attached the match between Spain and Portugal, which kicks off tomorrow morning at 8.30am. It could also be an opportunity to see Ines, who also plays in this other European U20 championship.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Reaction Score
Because she removed UConn from her list when it wasn’t clear if Geno would be there for her whole career, it makes me wonder if there are other aspects about Uconn that weren’t appealing to her. I understand wanting to go to Uconn specifically because of Geno, but to take them completely off your list because of the possibility Geno might leave at some point makes me question where we rank in her final schools. I am surprised that Stanford did not make her list (her social media made it seem like she was really interested in Stanford). But maybe Tara really was the draw for her, just like Geno is the draw to UConn. With that logic, I like our chances now.
I dunno, I don’t think that’s a sign she didn’t like the school other than Geno. For an athlete like her who has a chance to play pros, obviously she’ll want the best coach. Jazzy could love UCONN as a community and as an education, but if the coach she wants isn’t there, it’s perfectly reasonable to check it off.

Also I don’t even think she’s visited yet, so we have no clue whether she finds the environment appealing or not. I wouldn’t worry.

Reaction Score

Sportsengine publishes on one of its sites, a ranking of international players, as well as the NCAA College they have chosen. Of course, these rankings are always subjective, but this one is interesting nonetheless. The attached page is the 2024 Global Rankings. In second place we can see Clara Silva, for whom UConn had shown interest, but who eventually accepted the offer from the former Virginia Tech coach and went on to follow him with Kentucky. I'd just like to point out that some of the players on this list still seem to be available.

I'm particularly interested in Awa Fam (6'4) from Spain who turned 18 last month. The last publication I found with a possible move to the USA was a few months ago (see attachment), so I also think she should be higher up on this list. She was selected last year on the second all-star team of the U19 World Championship and is old enough to return next year. Tomorrow it's off to the U20 championship in which Gandy Malou-Mamel plays, so I've attached the match between Spain and Portugal, which kicks off tomorrow morning at 8.30am. It could also be an opportunity to see Ines, who also plays in this other European U20 championship.

Fam might have been a player Uconn took a look at. But the 24/25 roster being posted and Geno talking about the recruiting class gives the impression he is done for 2024. I had a question about Gandy at first, wondering why she wasn't on this list since another foreigner playing in the US was (Koval), but then I noticed in your coments that it was the 2024 rankings.

Reaction Score
I've only been able to see a few of Jazzy's games other than the recent FIBA games, which didn't strike me as fully representative of her talents, but also her limitations. She's really good at creating her own shot and she's capable of taking over a game at the HS level. In one game against Morgan at Mitty HS last season, she practically singlehandedly kept the game close. She's a little like Paige in that respect, though she doesn't have the same all around game. She's built sort of like Q or Aubrey or Lou or even Evina but maybe not as strong as they are. This makes me wonder if she'll be able to play anywhere besides on the wing.
  • Is she strong enough to play defense in the paint? Q certainly is, as is Aubrey. Evina wasn't quite big enough for this, though she often got stuck covering 4s.
  • Is she fast enough to run in a transition game? Maybe, but that might depend on her being able to defend at the top of the key. Lou and Evina and Q and Aubrey are built for the transition game.
  • Is she quick enough to play the point sometimes? I think her handles are good enough to break the press, but she might not have the quickness to blast through traps. But she does seem to have the passing savvy to pass over a trap. This may not be a role she could reliably play. Of course, Q and Aubrey and Caroline aren't ideal for this either.
What I conclude from these reflections is that there is definitely a place for her in Geno's schemes. Like Q, she'd probably need to develop a better defensive game, though she has offensive skills Q doesn't have yet.

If there's room for her on the roster, I think Jazzy would be a significant addition, especially if we already have some dynamic PG types, like KK and Kelis and Azzi. But it also suggests that quick PGs will need to be a priority in the following recruiting classes. If Geno manages to bring in Kelis Gandy Lara and Jazzy, the Huskies may start to resemble a slow team.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Like Q, she'd probably need to develop a better defensive game, though she has offensive skills Q doesn't have yet.
If Geno manages to bring in Kelis Gandy Lara and Jazzy, the Huskies may start to resemble a slow team.

You think Davidson is on the slow side and questionable defensively? That goes against pretty much every scouting report I have read about her.

Brandon Clay's most recent eval:

Davidson is a basketball powerhouse who not only displays profound offensive capabilities but has also established herself as an elite defender. Standing at 6-foot-1, her significant height is only one aspect of her formidable presence on the court. She boasts an impressive wingspan, which when combined with her foot speed, makes her troublesome for opponents.

Defensively, Davidson stands out as one of the premier defenders nationwide – arguably the best. Her heightened sense of anticipation, coupled with her active hands, makes every possession a challenge for the opposition. Her skills aren't just limited to guarding her counterpart; her knack for snagging rebounds and her weakside shot-blocking ability affirm her status as a defensive powerhouse. She is equally adept at guarding both inside the paint and on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
I think you have the priority order correct if there can only be one, namely Lara first, mostly due to need. But if we have two then Lara and Jazzy is probably the best combo. The plan B or C is more limited if we miss on Lara, but if we can't get Jazzy, Maker or Prawl are decent options on the wing.

A roster of a planned 14 year in and year out is probably pretty ideal. If you lose a player or two you weren't counting on you still likely have enough, and when unanticipated things happen, having one known portal option every summer to fill whatever need you have offers great flexibility IMO. I fell for the coaches and staff that have to tell recruits they aren't sure how many spots they have.

The end of the Covid years will help, but certainly as Uconn has seen the medical redshirts can add plenty of unanticipated years to a recruit's career also. Makes planning and recruiting very difficult.
Between Makeer and Prawl, I'd lean towards Makeer currently. Length is one reason. Her instincts on the court is another. With Prawl being at IMG this past season, I haven't seen much compared to when she was in Canada. The upcoming FIBA U17 tournament will give UConn fans a chance to see them both in action.

Reaction Score
You think Davidson is on the slow side and questionable defensively? That goes against pretty much every scouting report I have read about her.
I'm not going on scouting reports. I'm describing what I've seen in her games and speculating about how that will translate to D1. And I didn't say she was slow -- you may think so, but I think she's got good speed. This was on display in the recent FIBA games. I merely wanted to compare her to other Huskies who might play similar roles in the transition game. Is she as fast or as quick as Aubrey or Q? That's worth thinking about. Do you have an opinion on this, or will you merely quote scouting reports? I'd much rather hear your views in this thread.

Reaction Score
I've only been able to see a few of Jazzy's games other than the recent FIBA games, which didn't strike me as fully representative of her talents, but also her limitations. She's really good at creating her own shot and she's capable of taking over a game at the HS level. In one game against Morgan at Mitty HS last season, she practically singlehandedly kept the game close. She's a little like Paige in that respect, though she doesn't have the same all around game. She's built sort of like Q or Aubrey or Lou or even Evina but maybe not as strong as they are. This makes me wonder if she'll be able to play anywhere besides on the wing.
  • Is she strong enough to play defense in the paint? Q certainly is, as is Aubrey. Evina wasn't quite big enough for this, though she often got stuck covering 4s.
  • Is she fast enough to run in a transition game? Maybe, but that might depend on her being able to defend at the top of the key. Lou and Evina and Q and Aubrey are built for the transition game.
  • Is she quick enough to play the point sometimes? I think her handles are good enough to break the press, but she might not have the quickness to blast through traps. But she does seem to have the passing savvy to pass over a trap. This may not be a role she could reliably play. Of course, Q and Aubrey and Caroline aren't ideal for this either.
What I conclude from these reflections is that there is definitely a place for her in Geno's schemes. Like Q, she'd probably need to develop a better defensive game, though she has offensive skills Q doesn't have yet.

If there's room for her on the roster, I think Jazzy would be a significant addition, especially if we already have some dynamic PG types, like KK and Kelis and Azzi. But it also suggests that quick PGs will need to be a priority in the following recruiting classes. If Geno manages to bring in Kelis Gandy Lara and Jazzy, the Huskies may start to resemble a slow team.
This strikes me as a strange sentiment given the speed of both Kelis and Jazzy and the fact that Gandy is pretty mobile and quick for a 6'5" player. Haven't seen Lara play at all but I don't understand how adding players where 3/4 of them have at a minimum of above average speed for their position would make Uconn a "slow" team.

Reaction Score
Fam might have been a player Uconn took a look at. But the 24/25 roster being posted and Geno talking about the recruiting class gives the impression he is done for 2024. I had a question about Gandy at first, wondering why she wasn't on this list since another foreigner playing in the US was (Koval), but then I noticed in your coments that it was the 2024 rankings.

I've linked to 2025 Global Rankings, where we can see Gandy Malou-Mamel in second place. In first place is Lena Bilic from Croatia, a perimeter player (small winger) with a physique similar to that of Jazzy Davidson and playing in much the same position. We should see her next weekend at the U17 World Cup alongside Olivia Vukosa. You can also click on the More+ tab at the top of the page, located to the right of the 2025 Global Rankings tab, which opens a drop-down menu for past years, 2023, 2022 and 2021, with Jana at the top in 2023.

Reaction Score
Not surprised at all that she would change her mind based on Geno’s assurance that he would be her coach! When one looks at the championships, the culture, and the widely celebrated success of UConn players in the WNBA, he is the honey that attracts the bee! Of course, CD plays a big part in that as well, but I think most believe that she will go when he goes. If I were a highly ranked player who dreamed of playing at UConn, I too would like some assurance that he would be there to coach me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom