UConn Official Student Section: The Pack | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Official Student Section: The Pack

Reaction Score
My initial reaction was what @BugsyCT already did - beat me to the punch

Also this is what UConn gets for not paying actual graphic designers to do work....
Unless Bugsy is an 'actual graphic designer' you are doing exactly what UConn did.

Students can and should design the logo for the student section, the vetting was the flaw. Learning experiences for the students and the school may be helpful in the long run, no need to spend money to fix trial and error, re-trial.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Unless Bugsy is an 'actual graphic designer' you are doing exactly what UConn did.

Students can and should design the logo for the student section, the vetting was the flaw. Learning experiences for the students and the school may be helpful in the long run, no need to spend money to fix trial and error, re-trial.

I did exactly what UConn did?

The AD was trying to skimp on costs here and got bit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I did exactly what UConn did?

The AD was trying to skimp on costs here and got bit.
Was it trying to skimp on costs or was it just applying its usual half-assed, ill-conceived, and poorly executed methodology to another non-issue?

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Was it trying to skimp on costs or was it just applying its usual half-assed, ill-conceived, and poorly executed methodology to another non-issue?

I am not sure what you are trying to say (as usual)

I dont think this is a huge deal or anything- it's only slightly embarrassing. The AD didn't want to pay, and they ended up w/ stolen clip art. Whatever.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I dont think this is a huge deal or anything- it's only slightly embarrassing. The AD didn't want to pay, and they ended up w/ stolen clip art. Whatever.

it’s just another symptom of a janky broken athletic department

CL82

Reaction Score

I don't think there was an affirmative decision to outsource logo design in order to save costs. I do think that athletic department's recent history of press releases and retractions shortly thereafter show a pattern of bad ideas, which are poorly vetted and poorly implemented. Anyone of them is "embarrassing" and not a "huge deal" but the pattern is troubling.

Hope that helped.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I don't think there was an affirmative decision to outsource logo design in order to save costs. I do think that athletic department's recent history of press releases and retractions shortly thereafter show a pattern of bad ideas, which are poorly vetted and poorly implemented. Anyone of them is "embarrassing" and not a "huge deal" but the pattern is troubling.

Hope that helped.

I think someone definitely made a decision to have a student design the logo, and the reason was almost certainly because they wouldn't have to pay a designer.

I agree it's troubling - but I don't think anyone outside of the fan base noticed.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I think someone definitely made a decision to have a student design the logo, and the reason was almost certainly because they wouldn't have to pay a designer.

I agree it's troubling - but I don't think anyone outside of the fan base noticed.
Well, maybe someone from NC State.

Reaction Score

Actually I am. Or was in my previous gigs.

Letting an undergrad student design the logo would have been fine had they known enough to double check the images for any copyright infringement before publicly unveiling the logo.

Reaction Score
I'll let google know...

Seriously, there's color associated with Cub ranks now? Is it just the badge or is it something more?
Hats and neckerchiefs too I think.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure a group of Huskies is referred to as a "team" as in a "team of sleds dogs". I think the Dog Team or something similar would be appropriate and unique for our student section and the reference to "team" would be very meaningful.
Also I don’t think a group of Huskies is a team. A group of individuals on an athletic endeavor is a team.

Reaction Score
1.) Designing branding for a student section is about the most inauthentic, trying too hard thing I can think of.

2.) Having a 19 year old come up with some stuff is worse.

3.) Not vetting his work is indescribable.

4.) Throwing them under the bus is bush league. It's a kid.

CL82

Reaction Score
Hats and neckerchiefs too I think.
Hats I remember. I'm not sure if neckerchiefs changed but it was a while ago. Good merchandising to change things up with every rank, I guess.

Cub Scouts is a good program. Boy Scouts is a great one. Really one of the few places that boys can learn self-sufficiency and actually get 'real' leadership experience.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Well, maybe someone from NC State.

The funniest part is someone pointed out the NC State Logo used clip art. just google Wolfpack clip art and its the 3rd image that comes up. Some kid at NC State probably stole that too.

1568998897341.png

Reaction Score
Yeah, been avoiding r/cbb since this happened. There's this post and the original announcement post which also generated a lot of traffic.

It's all been pretty light-hearted. Not much sanctimony.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom